More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Film Score Thread

Go down 
+24
bondfan06
Fort Knox
saint mark
TedHeath
MBalje
Santa
lachesis
Mr. Trevelyan
Harmsway
Lazenby.
Gravity's Silhouette
trevanian
dr. strangelove
Chigawa
MOO7RE
GeneralGogol
Hilly
Drax
G section
FourDot
colly
Makeshift Python
Largo's Shark
The White Tuxedo
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 29 ... 33  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

The Film Score Thread - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 11:15 pm

Here's some fragmented clips from 'Maddalena' which seems to have been completely overshadowed by its soundtrack. I like the look of it. Need to hunt it down.

The compiler has concentrated on 'Chi Mi', the track everyone knows (starting at 12:00), but I prefer 'Come Maddalena, which is largely absent until 20:30.

BTW, I think the amazing jazz percussion on the vinyl version is by Vincenzo Restuccia. Thanks, Tux, I'll take a listen to the iTunes version.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 11:33 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
I found something on the US iTunes that may be the original.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/maddalena/id436406613

I downloaded the first track and it sounds pretty identical to the one you posted, just longer and not scratchy.

That's it.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Morricone   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 12:39 pm

One of my favorite cd's: Ennio Morricone & Dolce Pontes - Focus

Cnema Paradise

Your love/ OUTITW

Amalia por Amor

Antiga Palavra

Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 6:59 am

Who keeps moving this away from the film section?

Anyway, trying to download this...

...but I can only get the first minute.

Wish I could get a hold of the whole score.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:45 am

Sakamoto's Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence must be one of the most influential film scores of the last 40 years.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:19 pm

Those phased ARP strings haunt my soul. :(
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:39 pm

Sounds like a Solina.

Instant JMJarre.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:41 pm

From back when I thought you were Requin:

Sharky wrote:
A question for my squaliform brethren, Requin (Amblerodon amblarias). I've always admired the use of synthesisers on Michael Small's score for MARATHON MAN, and particularly an eerie effect heard throughout the film created by the keyboardist Ian Underwood - in Small's words "a kind of scream which went not only with terror and torture but also the limits pushed by being a marathon runner."

Do you know how this was created? As you told me once, the only two major US synth manufacturers in the mid 70s were ARP Instruments, Inc. and Moog, so it's likely to be one of those.

First heard with the sotto voce piano cluster and bell tree swipe at 0:05. Sounds like some kind of pitch bending going on.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:44 pm

Sharky wrote:
Do you know how this was created? As you told me once, the only two major US synth manufacturers in the mid 70s were ARP Instruments, Inc. and Moog, so it's likely to be one of those.]

Oberheim and Sequential as well, though they were certainly smaller than ARP and Moog.

EDIT: Lot of ring mod and slow LFO going on, but it's hard to say what synth it is, it could be produced by external processing.

Who was/is Requin?

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:46 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Sharky wrote:
Do you know how this was created? As you told me once, the only two major US synth manufacturers in the mid 70s were ARP Instruments, Inc. and Moog, so it's likely to be one of those.]

Oberheim and Sequential as well, though they were certainly smaller than ARP and Moog.

My bets on it being a fast LFO modulating something or other. Filter cutoff? It's like a stutter.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Certainly a modulation effect. Sounds like it's being hand-controlled rather than synched.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:57 pm

Would the LFO be routed to pitch or amplitude? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought a slow LFO produced longer waveforms, and the more you speed it up, the faster the tremolo, phase, or vibrato becomes.

The ring mod makes sense though.

Erica Ambler wrote:
Who was/is Requin?

Some useless user who hasn't posted yet.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 12:05 am

Sharky wrote:
Would the LFO be routed to pitch or amplitude? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought a slow LFO produced longer waveforms, and the more you speed it up, the faster the tremolo, phase, or vibrato becomes.

That's correct. But a very slow LFO setting can also produce quite disorientating detuning, which is what's going on in the middle of that piece. Prior to softsynths it could be a bit hit and miss synchronizing LFOs, but I like electronic music that isn't too perfect. It's the marriage of man and machine that keeps things interesting.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 12:15 am

Was just listening to Jerry Goldsmtih's OUTLAND. Brilliant stuff as usual. The real ALIEN: PART II. A year before Vangelis's BLADE RUNNER, yet 3:17 sounds eerily similar.

Then these two source cues jumped out...

... and I preceded to dance around bollock naked.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Shouldn't this be in the film section? It keeps getting moved.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 10:48 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:

Must be the same gremlins who cut down the Last Movie You Watched thread every so often or edit j7's posts.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 10:52 pm

Diggin' the constipated Baldwin avatar. laugh
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 10:53 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Diggin' the constipated Baldwin avatar. laugh

Ha, I didn't take it as constipated. It's meant to be a promo from the latest 30 Rock where Donaghy runs for Mayor :)

I guess if Baldwin does run for Mayor he'll look constipated :D
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 11:00 pm

Looks like he's ripping a minute-long fart.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 11:47 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:

It's me. I believe film music is music, regardless of that fact that it was written for film. Good film music is good music, and vice versa.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 11:47 pm

the very words of Jerry Goldsmith.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 2:19 am

Sharky wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

It's me. I believe film music is music, regardless of that fact that it was written for film. Good film music is good music, and vice versa.

I just like every movie thread in one or two categories. laugh Now I have to check in to the music forum when I don't care about any other thread here.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 2:37 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Sharky wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

I just like every movie thread in one or two categories. laugh Now I have to check in to the music forum when I don't care about any other thread here.

It's a tough one, this. Do film scores fit within the title "Film Discussion"? Yes, as the score is part of a film, and is made specifically for a film. But, equally, a film score fits within the title "Music", as this is exactly what a film score is; at the end of the day, it's music, whether for a film or not, music is music.

My solution? A separate section altogether, either above or below "Filmmakers Corner" or above or below "Music". With the amount of YouTube film score clips being posted often all in one thread and the loading time of such, it might be for the best to create an entire section devoted solely to film music to break things up, locate cues easier within the threads and to create a starting point for wider-reaching, better-organised discussion of film music, film scores, soundtrack releases and individual composers. We'd also then have this subject as it's own entity, removing the debate as to which section it belongs in. Worth a go?

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 3:28 am

My solution would be a section within a section. But I dunno if this forum format allows that.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 1:55 pm

Lazenby. wrote:
My solution? A separate section altogether, either above or below "Filmmakers Corner" or above or below "Music". With the amount of YouTube film score clips being posted often all in one thread and the loading time of such, it might be for the best to create an entire section devoted solely to film music to break things up, locate cues easier within the threads and to create a starting point for wider-reaching, better-organised discussion of film music, film scores, soundtrack releases and individual composers. We'd also then have this subject as it's own entity, removing the debate as to which section it belongs in. Worth a go?

Agreed, though once again we're helpless until M returns to earth. Because of that dilemma, I think it would be a good idea to give certain mods Admin powers. BAB is slowly gaining momentum in the run up to SKYFALL's release, and an absentee landlord doesn't help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Film Score Thread
Page 25 of 33Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 29 ... 33  Next