More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Human League

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

The Human League Empty
PostSubject: The Human League   The Human League EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 5:15 pm

It took me a while, but I've finally got into The Human League. Listening to Dare - can't get enough of Sound of the Crowd. Ambler's, how that main synth riff coming at 15 seconds done? I've read somewhere that it's a Jupiter-4 - is it the 4 voices synced together?

Enjoyed reading these Sound on Sound articles and interviews with Martin Rushent and Phil Oakey.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul10/articles/classictracks_0710.htm
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/apr95/humanleague.html

Surprised how knowledgeable about synthesis and production Oakey was.

What about the other albums? Heard that Credo and Seconds are decent, but Hysteria and Crash are crap. Will have to find out.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

The Human League Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Human League   The Human League EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 7:33 pm

Yeah, Roland Microcomposer, most likely controlling JP4 in unison mode.

Dare is the only decent album the League made (I'm not sure anyone used the Linn Drum so well again), but they made a lot of great track over the years. Check out The League Unlimited Orchestra as well; Rushent never got proper credit for that.

One of my favourite League moments is Seconds. Punk on synths.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

The Human League Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Human League   The Human League EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 12:22 am

Recently iPlayered Beeb 4 docu 'Synth Britannia', Human League featured (as you'd imagine) fairly heavily. An enjoyable watch.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

The Human League Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Human League   The Human League EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 12:49 am

Human League were an embarrassment live. Then one day they clicked.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

The Human League Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Human League   The Human League EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 10:48 pm

From what I've seen the League's weakest links live were Joane and Susan's singing. By that the time that of that Jools Holland set (95?) they'd matured.

I've listened to Reproduction. It's no Dare, but it's a solid record. I'd say punk on synths doesn't just apply to Seconds, but Human League in general, or at least when at their best.

The Trevor Horn produced Heart like a Wheel is a bit Tears for Fears-meets-Electronic, but the lyrics are oddly prescient.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

The Human League Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Human League   The Human League EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 11:14 pm

When Miles Copeland managed The League, he instructed front of house to keep Joanne's vocals in the monitor-mix only. No one in the audience heard any of her squeaks and she was none the wiser. The world was a better place.

Largo's Shark wrote:
The Trevor Horn produced Heart like a Wheel is a bit Tears for Fears-meets-Electronic, but the lyrics are oddly prescient.

Not Horn, though I forget the producer. Was it part of the ill-fated attempt to bring League and Rushent back together? Not that it changed anything as Virgin sacked the League not long afterwards. I never rated Heart like a Wheel, though some salivate over it. The 12" is better than the single, FWIW.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

The Human League Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Human League   The Human League EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 11:21 pm

That's much better, though the acidy 303 (?) res squelches at the start grate a bit. Like the supersaw that comes in, much stronger low end.

My bad, just checked - it was Rushtent not Horn. What went wrong?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

The Human League Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Human League   The Human League EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 11:27 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
. What went wrong?

Rushent claimed that he walked when the girls called him an old fart, but Oakey says it was because Rushent and Jo Callis wanted to bring in guitars for the second album,  which went against his dogmatic synths-only ideology. Didn't stop them doing just that on The Lebanon though...
Love the intro on this very underrated track, it's like the UK Subs on a good day.

I don't buy either story, though they were probably contributing factors. After all, Rushent and the Stranglers had a similar parting of ways, which has never been adequately explained either. I tend towards the theories that Rushent had some kind of nervous breakdown. His producing career ended not long after that, which is extraordinary given how talented and successful he was.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

The Human League Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Human League   The Human League EmptySat Oct 04, 2014 7:13 pm

This is the last time the strapping Phil Oakey was on top-rated TV show.

Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

The Human League Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Human League   The Human League EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 3:00 am

This is the only HL league song I care to own...the 1995 Red Jerry remix...

Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

The Human League Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Human League   The Human League EmptyThu Apr 06, 2023 11:17 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
It took me a while, but I've finally got into The Human League. Listening to Dare - can't get enough of Sound of the Crowd. Ambler's, how that main synth riff coming at 15 seconds done? I've read somewhere that it's a Jupiter-4 - is it the 4 voices synced together?

Enjoyed reading these Sound on Sound articles and interviews with Martin Rushent and Phil Oakey.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul10/articles/classictracks_0710.htm
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/apr95/humanleague.html

Surprised how knowledgeable about synthesis and production Oakey was.

What about the other albums? Heard that Credo and Seconds are decent, but Hysteria and Crash are crap. Will have to find out.
DARE is undoubtedly their best album.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

The Human League Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Human League   The Human League EmptyTue Apr 18, 2023 7:40 pm

In addition to The Lebanon, I love this one from HYSTERIA.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

The Human League Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Human League   The Human League EmptyTue Apr 18, 2023 10:44 pm

Interestingly enough, there is talk of renaming NATO the Inhuman League.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Human League Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Human League   The Human League Empty

Back to top Go down

The Human League
Page 1 of 1