More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Dark Side of the Bond Films

Go down 
+10
Moore
Harmsway
Vesper
Flush
CJB
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
bitchcraft
jet set willy
Largo's Shark
Control
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

The Dark Side of the Bond Films Empty
PostSubject: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 6:39 pm

What do you think are some of the darkest scenes of the Bond franchise?

I'll nominate this scene:

I think several elements make this "dark".

First, as the audience, we know Corinne is working with Bond; along with being a beautiful woman, she's also one of the "good guys". Then we have Drax speaking to her coldly and disposing of her in a ruthless, barbaric manner. Barry's music, the building of the piano and then the release of the full strings, brilliantly creates apprehension and dread. The location is ominous, as well.

And all of this in the bozo of Bond films. For me, it seems a lot "darker" than watching Bond slam a man through a bathroom stall or telling someone to drink motor oil in the desert.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 7:38 pm

Gravity's nomination.

Back to top Go down
jet set willy
'R'
'R'
jet set willy

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 7:44 pm

I nominate this....

Ok, so it ain't a patch on the nasty scene that Fleming wrote, but it still surprises me to this day that this made it to the final cut, being easily the most violent scene in the franchise, even with the slight comedy angle to it.

I think its mainly down to Craig's acting which makes this the most darkest scene for me. We never usually see Bond look so scared, or scream out in pain (if you ignore Brozza's failed `pain face' efforts)......
Back to top Go down
http://www.filmnav.co.uk
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 9:07 pm

Control wrote:

^ This one.

What makes it stand out even more, it's in stark contrast to quite a number of other scenes in MR which try too hard to be funny (like Jaws flapping his arms trying to fly or that fucking pigeon).
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 9:25 pm

Yeah, out of context you'd think it wasn't even from the same film.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 10:20 pm

Felix is fed to the sharks in LTK, largely due to the performances of Davi, Del Toro and Hedison.

Agreed about Corrine's death… Possibly my favourite scene in MR.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 10:32 pm

bitchcraft wrote:
Control wrote:

^ This one.

What makes it stand out even more, it's in stark contrast to quite a number of other scenes in MR which try too hard to be funny (like Jaws flapping his arms trying to fly or that fucking pigeon).

Agreed. Also within the scene itself - the stark contrast between Barry's dreamlike score along with Jean Tournier's impressionist cinematography next to the horror of what's going on. It's like something out a Bronte adaptation.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 1:54 am

Thinking of it, Corrine's put-down is probably one of the most powerful scenes from the franchise.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 2:06 am

Yes, it's hard to believe that an hour after this scene Roger Moore was having a zero gravity space fuck.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 2:39 am

CJB wrote:
Yes, it's hard to believe that an hour after this scene Roger Moore was having a zero gravity space fuck.

And Jaws was drinking champagne with a blonde in an exploding space station.

John Barry must've been rolling his fucking eyes through out the scoring sessions.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 3:25 am

Seriously, I'd put forward Bond's monologue from SF.

Terrific performances, scoring, directing (the slow dolly-in on Bond is subtle but very effective) and writing.

Shame about the uploader fucking it up with the compressed and flanged audio.
Back to top Go down
Flush
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Flush

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 6:37 am

Yes, the Moonraker one - brr. It's a really violent film. Bond watching the scientists get gassed (although he can't do anything about it) is also very dark.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 8:15 am

Thankfully the scene where the Double-Take Pigeon is flattened by a car never made it to the final cut.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 10:36 am

The scene where Wint and Kidd masturbated over Mrs Whistler's corpse was mildly disturbing.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 1:05 pm

bitchcraft wrote:
Control wrote:

^ This one.

Haven't seen Moonraker in a while. That scene is fab.

FieldsMan wrote:
Felix is fed to the sharks in LTK, largely due to the performances of Davi, Del Toro and Hedison.

Hedison? Really?? Couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 4:04 pm

Control wrote:
And all of this in the bozo of Bond films. For me, it seems a lot "darker" than watching Bond slam a man through a bathroom stall or telling someone to drink motor oil in the desert.
It's one of the most savage moments in the Bond franchise. It plays like a nasty nightmare.

Back to top Go down
Moore
Q Branch
Q Branch
Moore

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 3:02 am

bitchcraft wrote:
Control wrote:

^ This one.

Even with the whole space thing going on, if you cut out the comical Jaws moments and the Dolly storyline and those really silly gags that pop up you actually have a pretty damn good film when it's all said and done. It's kind of a shame. Even with the space angle, I think a few tweaks to the script to make it a little bit more serious in tone would have done it a world of wonders.

With that said, I think it's certainly Bernard Lee's best outing as M. At least since the first three Connery films. Him and Rog never really seemed to mesh well. It didn't have the Connery-Lee dynamic. But I think Moonraker came pretty close to capturing it.
Back to top Go down
Moore
Q Branch
Q Branch
Moore

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 3:09 am

FieldsMan wrote:

Hedison? Really?? Couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.[/quote]

Hedison is only slightly better than Terry. Hedison almost reminds me a bit of Rik Van Nutter, except at least Van Nutter is probably the closest (looks wise, at least) to the Felix of the books.

Hedison being torn apart by sharks his pretty hilarious, the acting is pretty bad.

I'd probably take Norman Burton over Hedison. It was an odd portrayal. At least he tried to make his Felix unique and different instead of just a dull, cardboard character. He's the only who really tried to give the character little personality.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 3:42 am

I'LL SEE YOU IN HELL, SANCHEZ!
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 7:34 am

You're all wrong.

The scenes you've nominated, such as Dufour's mauling by the dogs, or Leiter being fed to a shark, while dark, are actions to be expected by the villain. I even remember some fans outraged that Patrick McNee was killed off in AVTAK, vowing to never watch a Bond film again.

The worst, darkest scene in the entire series is one that was performed by Bond; it left the audience I was with noticeably uncomfortable: it was b]when Bond dumps Mathis' body in the garbage bin like a sack of trash[/b]. It was disgusting, it was crude, it was reprehensible....it was not supposed to be Bond, but for some reason Paul Haggis and Daniel Craig thought that audiences wanted to see that kind of 007 in a Bond film. Clearly they were mistaken.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 4:40 pm

I wouldn't call it the darkest scene, but I would call it one of the dumbest.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 4:47 pm

Makeshift Python wrote:
I wouldn't call it the darkest scene, but I would call it one of the dumbest.

I wouldn't call it the darkest or dumbest, but ugliest.

Bond wanted to make his death look like a robbery. Plus he put the mission first...dead bodies can still be useful.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 4:55 pm

Problem is that didn't really come through because they eventually caught up with Bond anyway (due to his negligence) and since the police are corrupt, it was kind of a pointless move on Bond. It would have made a nice call back to Mathis' remark in CR, I just wish it came off better and made some actual sense.

It all just confirms how the filmmakers were forced to do things on the fly. Just an attempt to say "wow this Bond is dark", which would be fine, if, again, it made sense.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 5:25 pm

Yeah, it was a very, very dumb move.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 7:29 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Yeah, it was a very, very dumb movie.

laugh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of the Bond Films   The Dark Side of the Bond Films Empty

Back to top Go down

The Dark Side of the Bond Films
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next