More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Defining Masculinity

Go down 
+4
Xenia93
Salomé
Staugust
Largo's Shark
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Defining Masculinity Empty
PostSubject: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 8:38 pm

Δ

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 9:48 pm

Duplicate thread. You started that one as well.

https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com/t2607-what-makes-a-man
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 11:19 pm

Δ

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Staugust
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Staugust

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 7:30 am

Watching Top Gear apparently.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 8:40 am

I personally believe that the supposed "masculinity crisis" has been quite overstated. In spite of all the columnists/commentators who are throwing their toys out of the pram, the vast majority of positions of power are still held by men, primarily middle-aged white men. Speaking specifically about Britain, just over 20% of MPs are women. So reality is a long way removed from the idea that the male experience is not the defining one in our culture.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 10:25 am

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 11:01 am

Not sure there is anything particularly feminist about a post that points out the limited number of women in positions of power. In a society where masculinity is supposedly threatened, that surely would not be the case.

It might just be a case of this generation of men being a more whiny bunch than their forefathers.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 1:13 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 3:41 pm

You will have to explain to me how the fact that the highest positions of power in both the political and business realm are still largely occupied by men is not relevant to a discussion about the supposed crisis that masculinity finds itself in. If the people who call the shots are still primarily men, then how can their gender find itself in any real danger of losing its power or status? And if that is indeed the case, would it not largely be a self-inflicted wound then?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 3:43 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:

I suppose that depends on what you define as whining. Suicide is now the single biggest cause of death in men aged 20-49 in England and Wales, with males accounting for 78 per cent of all suicides in the UK. To put that into context, female suicide rates have halved since 1981.

My point was more that perhaps men of the past thrived because they spent less time complaining about their lot and more time trying to improve it?

Back to top Go down
Staugust
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Staugust

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 4:48 pm

At least on a cosmetic level growing a big bushy beard or having excess "designer stubble" seems to be the current fashion for young men to show their masculinity. That and covering one's body in large and colourful tattoos.
Back to top Go down
Xenia93
'R'
'R'
Xenia93

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 5:55 pm

Salomé wrote:

My point was more that perhaps men of the past thrived because they spent less time complaining about their lot and more time trying to improve it?

I think there might be something to this.

I don't want to speak for Ambler, but I don't think it's a questioning male status in the world, but more the emasculation of society. Correct me if I'm way off.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 12:49 am

You can blame the feminists, you can blame poems but I'm not sure the act of defining masculinity is masculine…
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 1:13 am

There is no universal definition of 'masculinity.' One woman's masculine can be another woman's neanderthal.

An alpha-male can tell me his definition and I can tell him to go fuck himself simply because I find some of his attributes to be gross.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 2:25 am

Here's a solid definition of masculinity:
Defining Masculinity 0dpKkOU
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Staugust wrote:
At least on a cosmetic level growing a big bushy beard or having excess "designer stubble" seems to be the current fashion for young men to show their masculinity. That and covering one's body in large and colourful tattoos.

A lot of women don't like designer stubble on a man's face and chin, especially if they have sensitive inner thighs.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 7:44 pm

bitchcraft wrote:
Staugust wrote:

A lot of women don't like designer stubble on a man's face and chin, especially if they have sensitive inner thighs.

You are my hero, Dog Bond. ROTFLMAO
Back to top Go down
Staugust
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Staugust

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 8:39 pm

bitchcraft wrote:
Staugust wrote:

Well I'm glad to hear it as I shave every day. smile
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 9:40 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Staugust
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Staugust

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 9:45 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Staugust wrote:
Well I'm glad to hear it as I shave every day. smile

So does Dog.

A match made in heaven! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
SarahN
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
SarahN

Location : For it will come to pass that every braggart shall be found an ass.

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 4:48 pm

Stubble is entirely subjective where sexiness is concerned. Some guys just rock it, some don't. I can appreciate a scruffy face even when I have no intention to ever let it anywhere near me. Some girls don't like it as a rule, some are more openminded on certain days. A friend of mine has a real beard fetish, but she's the only one I know who will exclusively go for that. Stubble or beards don't define masculinity to me, I tend to notice behaviour and character over superficial details.

Now, I hope I don't destroy too many illusions when I confess here that most guys who consider themselves alpha males more often than not come over as ludicrous, pathetic even. To me a guy is sexy when he doesn't act, when he's just authentic, doesn't force his overblown ego on others (that's a real turn-off). Impressed with self comes to mind there; guys can score big points when they don't take themselves or their convictions too seriously. We're all human, there's no need to pretend one has superior knowledge or experience or whatever. A definite turn-on is when a guy can admit not knowing something, or having made a mistake. When a guy is not ashamed to admit his faults along with his strong sides, that's what takes balls, that's a man in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 9:10 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 10:40 pm

So are you saying that men are all liars at heart, Ambler? Or only when interacting with women? tongue
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 11:11 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 8:41 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Salomé wrote:
So are you saying that men are all liars at heart, Ambler? Or only when interacting with women? tongue

Not at heart, but in fact. And yes,  especially with women. It's the damn biological imperative - you know, like when you used to stick socks in your training bra, Oppers.  

Never had any need to do that, they were already there before I was even ready for their arrival!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Defining Masculinity   Defining Masculinity Empty

Back to top Go down

Defining Masculinity
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: General Discussion-
Jump to: