More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched.

Go down 
+20
Kath
hegottheboot
Hilly
Gravity's Silhouette
Professor Train
bitchcraft
Bond Fan 90
lachesis
Strangways&Quarrel
Moore
Xenia93
Control
Makeshift Python
Jack Wade
Blunt Instrument
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Vesper
G section
HJackson
dr. strangelove
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 1:50 am

Also in Lone Star (good but terribly peesea), and Jacob's Ladder, one of the scariest films ever made.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 3:06 pm

The Fellowship of the Ring

Perhaps you've heard of this film? My first time seeing it, believe it or not. Mind-blowing. They don't come much better than Peter Jackson (I realized this after seeing Heavenly Creatures, BTW). This movie is by turns very charming and very heavy. I think there's a misconception that fantasy is lightweight kid's stuff. This film will disabuse anybody who thinks that. I very much look forward to seeing the next two and then taking up Tolkien afresh.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Minority Report - perhaps the best Phillip K Dick adap after Blade Runner and Total Recall? Hadn't seen this for years, enjoyed the hell out of it ... clearly Cruise and Spielberg did too, what with War Of The Worlds following 3 years later.

The Festival - pretty funny comedy from the makers of The Inbetweeners. If you enjoyed that, you'll likely enjoy this.

The Equalizer 2 - Denzel Washington (in his first-ever sequel) again gives Liam Neeson a run for his money in the 'sixtysomehing action hero with a certain set of skills' stakes. One wonders what Edward Woodward would have made of it all.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 8:14 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 10:24 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 11:45 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Gorky Park

Revisiting this was odd. It made little impression on me 35 years ago but now it seems one of the most perfectly cast films I’ve seen.

Michael Apted's direction is accomplished, albeit visually uninteresting, and makes one wonder how many Bond films have been destroyed by Vic Armstrong. A superb script by the late Dennis Potter is a sobering reminder of how he has been erased from history. His crime? He understood women rather too well.

Speaking of casting, pretty darned good in TFoTR. Our mutual friend Christopher Lee absolutely crushes it as Sauroman, and Hugo Weaving is terrific as Elrond, as are Orlando Bloom as Legolas, Sean Bean as Boromir and John Rhys-Davies as Gimli. Not too sure about Viggo Mortensen as Strider, however. Viggo was maybe a bit young for the role, and just doesn't look tough enough. Sam Neill would have been ideal.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 9:28 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
The Fellowship of the Ring

Perhaps you've heard of this film? My first time seeing it, believe it or not. Mind-blowing. They don't come much better than Peter Jackson (I realized this after seeing Heavenly Creatures, BTW). This movie is by turns very charming and very heavy. I think there's a misconception that fantasy is lightweight kid's stuff. This film will disabuse anybody who thinks that. I very much look forward to seeing the next two and then taking up Tolkien afresh.

Better late than never! To my mind Fellowship is a damn near perfect piece of cinema.

Erica Ambler wrote:
The concluding The Return of the King tapped into a lot of political undercurrents in England 15 years ago that have never gone away.

Denethor is Tony Blair with a better haircut?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 9:59 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Gorky Park

Revisiting this was odd. It made little impression on me 35 years ago but now it seems one of the most perfectly cast films I’ve seen.

Michael Apted's direction is accomplished, albeit visually uninteresting, and makes one wonder how many Bond films have been destroyed by Vic Armstrong. A superb script by the late Dennis Potter is a sobering reminder of how he has been erased from history. His crime? He understood women rather too well.

Speaking of casting, pretty darned good in TFoTR. Our mutual friend Christopher Lee absolutely crushes it as Sauroman, and Hugo Weaving is terrific as Elrond, as are Orlando Bloom as Legolas, Sean Bean as Boromir and John Rhys-Davies as Gimli. Not too sure about Viggo Mortensen as Strider, however. Viggo was maybe a bit young for the role, and just doesn't look tough enough. Sam Neill would have been ideal.

Viggo Mortensen was 43 years old when the first movie was released. Hardly a spring chicken.

As for the trilogy, I enjoyed the first movie but found the rest of the series an exercise in diminishing returns.

Though admittedly I have not seen any of them since their original theatrical run.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 10:05 am

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 10:28 am

Salomé wrote:

As for the trilogy, I enjoyed the first movie but found the rest of the series an exercise in diminishing returns.

I'd rate the first above the other two, but they're still tremendously-made and captivating films.

And Khanners, do yourself a favour, avoid The Hobbit trilogy. They were made in about a tenth of the time of LOTR without about a hundredth of the care and about a thousandth of the respect for the source material. They were less Tolkien as adapted by Jackson and more of a rush job by some Weinstein/Putzstein/Schmuckstein Hollywood studio types holding Jackson to ransom.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 3:05 pm

CJB wrote:
Salomé wrote:

I'd rate the first above the other two, but they're still tremendously-made and captivating films.

And Khanners, do yourself a favour, avoid The Hobbit trilogy. They were made in about a tenth of the time of LOTR without about a hundredth of the care and about a thousandth of the respect for the source material. They were less Tolkien as adapted by Jackson and more of a rush job by some Weinstein/Putzstein/Schmuckstein Hollywood studio types holding Jackson to ransom.

Will do, CJB.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 10:49 am

Hereditary

A bit overrated. It's 2018's version of "Rosemary's Baby". Very nicely shot and definitely well-acted by the principals.
Toni Collette should get Oscar recognition for her performance here but the Academy has shunned horror movies in the past and early indications suggest that they will do so again to deny the Australian what would be a well-deserved nomination.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 2:45 pm

Salomé wrote:
Hereditary

A bit overrated. It's 2018's version of "Rosemary's Baby". Very nicely shot and definitely well-acted by the principals.
Toni Collette should get Oscar recognition for her performance here but the Academy has shunned horror movies in the past and early indications suggest that they will do so again to deny the Australian what would be a well-deserved nomination.

It sounds very good indeed, and is on my Watch List.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptySun Aug 26, 2018 3:00 pm

The Two Towers

Very good, but doesn't quite pack the emotional wallop of TFotR.Then again, TFotR is a mighty tough act to follow.

Interesting to see Brad Dourif as Saruman's agent in Rohan. He's really quite an actor. Check out Exorcist III for testament to that fact. A chilling performance in that one.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2018 1:44 am

Crazy Rich Asians.

Went for Wai Lin, but it's actually a very good romantic comedy, and refreshingly apolitical for a film made today.

21 years after TND, Brosnan features in the critically acclaimed Mamma Mia sequel, Oscar buzz surrounds Pryce for The Wife, and Michelle Yeoh is receiving praise for her turn in the lauded Crazy Rich Asians.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2018 6:28 pm

in the independent film Free Enterprise, a precocious boy is given an education in what a sci-fi film is ("To you, science fiction started in 1999...") begins the education. At the mention of Logan's Run he blurts out: "Sounds like a dumb sports movie!"

"Sports movie!? ROLLERBALL is a sports movie!"

And yes, Rollerball. I've not seen in a while despite having it on DVD. It's a film so cheery that Logan's Run is a Carry On film in comparison. It doesn't seem to know whether to be just that, a sports movie, or some commentary on corporations. Funnily, it's set in 2018. The German locations add to it but acting wise it sort of bubbles along. It has Shane Rimmer, it has Maud Adams and it even has a pre-Buck Rogers Pamela Hemsley (an Eric Forman 'yes, yes') and Quincy's Robert Ito.

But yes
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2018 9:45 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
The Two Towers

Very good, but doesn't quite pack the emotional wallop of TFotR.Then again, TFotR is a mighty tough act to follow.

Some of that punch is lost by the inescapable reality that the film had to intertwine multiple story lines.

Don't worry, ROTK will have you reaching for a man-hanky by the end.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2018 10:00 am

x

Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2018 2:40 pm

CJB wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
The Two Towers

Some of that punch is lost by the inescapable reality that the film had to intertwine multiple story lines.

Don't worry, ROTK will have you reaching for a man-hanky by the end.

A manky, one might say...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2018 10:32 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2018 10:40 pm

Moonrise

Essentially a tragedy about predestination, or at least the delusion of it.
With an excellent performance by Dane Clark as a man whose extreme anger has crystallized as hard shards on his soul. Beautiful black and white photography. I haven't seen much of Frank Borzage's work but this has certainly made me more curious.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 11:25 am

Also have this week off work, and therefore watched a Horror Channel double-bill last night -

The People Under The Stairs - hadn't seen this Wes Craven-directed slice of horror/social commentary/offbeat comedy for years. Great fun.

Grabbers - sci-fi comedy horror about a small Irish island being invaded by bloodsucking aliens, to whom alcohol is fatal ... so all the island's inhabitants have to do is stay drunk. A hoot.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2018 11:07 am

Upgrade - neat 'near-future' sci-fi revenge flick, with an enjoyable streak of humour.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2018 9:14 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Upgrade - neat 'near-future' sci-fi revenge flick, with an enjoyable streak of humour.

A bit of a "Robocop" clone, but without Verhoeven's darker, sardonic personality traits to make it more interesting.

But far from terrible.

I especially liked the dodging of any sort of Hollywood ending.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2018 10:37 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 32 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched.
Page 32 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next