More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan

Go down 
+2
CJB
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  Empty
PostSubject: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyThu Sep 07, 2017 2:17 am

Interesting interview where Brosnan looks at the future of 007 circa 1997. He was cheated, wasn't he?

http://www.fhm.com/posts/james-bond-pierce-brosnan-tomorrow-never-dies-140890
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyThu Sep 07, 2017 9:12 am

Quote :
FHM: How Is This Different From The Bonds We’ve Seen Before?

Pierce Brosnan: "In style and integrity, there’s more of a reality base to it ... there is more of a gritty look to it and more of a reality to it, which I like. Because they got too comic book. GoldenEye had a great look to it, but I think this is snappier and grittier."

Bloody 'ell. If TND is deep n' gritty, wait til they get a load of Daddy Issues McGrumbleface.

Interesting interview. Pretty clear that Brozzer wanted to play a different kind of Bond to the one handed to him. In terms of historical milestones, the coincidental and concurrent Diana echoes in the story never occurred to me.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyThu Sep 07, 2017 10:48 am

CJB wrote:
Quote :
FHM: How Is This Different From The Bonds We’ve Seen Before?

Pierce Brosnan: "In style and integrity, there’s more of a reality base to it ... there is more of a gritty look to it and more of a reality to it, which I like. Because they got too comic book. GoldenEye had a great look to it, but I think this is snappier and grittier."

Bloody 'ell. If TND is deep n' gritty, wait til they get a load of Daddy Issues McGrumbleface.

Interesting interview. Pretty clear that Brozzer wanted to play a different kind of Bond to the one handed to him. In terms of historical milestones, the coincidental and concurrent Diana echoes in the story never occurred to me.

He's probably just trying to sell it. I guess Tomorrow Never Dies is a little less bizarre than GE, but I wouldn't agree it's grittier. Perhaps more realistic, which is becoming all the more apparent now. 

Daddy Issues McGrumbleCregFace's films aren't gritty. Just self indulgent. I find DN and LTK to be grittier entries than anything that's come out in the last 20 years. It's hard to gauge an honest consensus on newer Bonds from those of yesteryear because I feel that the current one is always the 'best one since Sean'. Moore saying Craig is the best doesn't ring true to me at all, since all of the latter's films are more violent than the former's most violent in AVTAK. I'd love to hear Brosnan's true thoughts on the Craig era.

CJB wrote:
In terms of historical milestones, the coincidental and concurrent Diana echoes in the story never occurred to me.

It hadn't to me either. I wonder if contemporary audiences made the parallel and if it affected how it was consumed. Going by the interview, it sounds like it may have.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyThu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am

Cregg's films are indeed self-indulgent. I was using "gritty" in the all-things-to-all-people sort of way it was used in the halcyon days of Keeping the British Cock Up.

It is interesting that the last three Bonds have all come in promising a more realistic and grounded take on the character. Dalton was probably the only one that came close in that respect, but he never won over the critics or audiences.

On another note:

Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  Tnd4

Photoshop has really come a long way. That Beemer looks like it's out of an Eiffel 65 video. So does Carver, for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyThu Sep 07, 2017 3:21 pm

CJB wrote:
Cregg's films are indeed self-indulgent. I was using "gritty" in the all-things-to-all-people sort of way it was used in the halcyon days of Keeping the British Cock Up.

It is interesting that the last three Bonds have all come in promising a more realistic and grounded take on the character. Dalton was probably the only one that came close in that respect, but he never won over the critics or audiences.

On another note:

Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  Tnd4

Photoshop has really come a long way. That Beemer looks like it's out of an Eiffel 65 video. So does Carver, for that matter.

Perhaps on the whole, you're right. I remember reading Roger Ebert writing that Brosnan's Bond is more psychologically complete than his predecessors. I believe that was for his Goldeneye review, and I probably wouldn't disagree with him. Though it seems he does forget about Dalton in The Living Daylights - though I reckon the writing for both TLD and GE definitely do humanise Bond. LTK is a little two 2 dimension in that he seems too focused on revenge. Similarly, Craig in SF is probably the most humane characterisation in his run, though even then, surviving the fall in the PTS and a bullet wound is a stretch. And this characterisation is counteracted with Cregg in CR, which is arguably the most superhuman characterisation of the series.

Heh, when I watched TND just now, I thought of this poster when I saw this shot of the 750iL on the carpark rooftop:

https://youtu.be/qKAME9fAA-4?t=3m37s
Back to top Go down
OO7

OO7

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 9:53 pm

What on earth does "psychologically complete" mean and how did Brosnan show it?
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyMon Feb 18, 2019 7:29 am

painface.jpg
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyMon Feb 18, 2019 7:48 am

OO7 wrote:
What on earth does "psychologically complete" mean and how did Brosnan show it?

More fleshed out, three dimensional, a combination of charm, humour, danger, brutality. Reflective. Think the poignancy of Bond's confrontation with Alec with the fallen statues, Bond's moment on the beach, when Bond releases Alec... It's in the eyes. We see it throughout his entire run and its never overplayed.

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyMon Feb 18, 2019 11:45 am

No, he saved the overplaying for the likes of the TWINE torture-chair scenes.

EXTREME PAINFACE! laugh
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyMon Feb 18, 2019 1:14 pm

colgate

I did toy with the idea of including a 'Painface excluded' statement. Always go with your gut instinct, Fields.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyMon Feb 18, 2019 1:28 pm

During the 'One ... last ... screw?' line, extraordinary things are happening with his lower jaw.
Back to top Go down
OO7

OO7

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyMon Feb 18, 2019 4:43 pm

I think I get the picture. laugh
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2019 12:49 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
During the 'One ... last ... screw?' line, extraordinary things are happening with his lower jaw.  

Quite jaw dropping.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2019 7:20 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:

He always was a cunning linguist.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2019 9:55 am

It's like he's attempting to dislocate his lower jaw in order to swallow Electra whole, like certain snakes do with their prey.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2019 11:43 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
Daddy Issues McGrumbleCregFace's films aren't gritty. Just self indulgent. I find DN and LTK to be grittier entries than anything that's come out in the last 20 years. It's hard to gauge an honest consensus on newer Bonds from those of yesteryear because I feel that the current one is always the 'best one since Sean'. Moore saying Craig is the best doesn't ring true to me at all, since all of the latter's films are more violent than the former's most violent in AVTAK. I'd love to hear Brosnan's true thoughts on the Craig era.

Maybe people just like CR? Maybe it's not really a conspiracy? You don't have to like the flick, but to then question whether anyone is being honest about if they genuinely like it... is just silly. I didn't care for the 2009 Star Trek film, but I never doubted anyone actually liked it because I can actually see why, even if it doesn't work for me.

Regarding Moore's comments, I think he's only uncomfortable with the violence in his films because his take on the character doesn't quite gel with the kind of wanton violence AVTAK indulged in, at least in his opinion. It doesn't mean he objects to that kind of violence in any film. Like how he's uncomfortable with himself hitting a woman, but doesn't wag his finger when the other Bond actors play a rougher Bond.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyWed Feb 20, 2019 10:26 pm

You're a better man than I am, MP.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyThu Feb 21, 2019 2:23 am

I know that.

tongue
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyFri Feb 22, 2019 4:16 am

It isn't necessarily that Brozzer was more complex psychologically in the role, but that the films made it a definite part of their aim to include an analysis of Bond as a character as part of the "what do we do since the Cold War is over" backbone of GE.

But what he does do is inject so much feeling into this aspect that it it became an integral part of his tenure. I don't think GE is topped in this regard for sheer weight to be honest. In that film it gives him an edge of regret that then morphs into a mixture of regret and vengeance when Alec reveals his deception.

Lines like: "Governments change, the lies stay the same", "Never" in response to don't take it personal, "It's what keeps me alive" and course "For me" show such a deep resonant self awareness in Bond that I think was really doubled down on throughout GE by the writers, Brozzer and Martin Campbell.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptyFri Feb 22, 2019 5:31 am

hegottheboot wrote:
It isn't necessarily that Brozzer was more complex psychologically in the role, but that the films made it a definite part of their aim to include an analysis of Bond as a character as part of the "what do we do since the Cold War is over" backbone of GE.

But what he does do is inject so much feeling into this aspect that it it became an integral part of his tenure. I don't think GE is topped in this regard for sheer weight to be honest. In that film it gives him an edge of regret that then morphs into a mixture of regret and vengeance when Alec reveals his deception.

Lines like: "Governments change, the lies stay the same", "Never" in response to don't take it personal, "It's what keeps me alive" and course "For me" show such a deep resonant self awareness in Bond that I think was really doubled down on throughout GE by the writers, Brozzer and Martin Campbell.

You might be onto something there in that any Bond, given the opportunity, would be more "psychologically complete" since the writing demands it. However, Brosnan's portrayal is what brings the writing to life without sacrificing charisma and the sense of danger in its place. It's a masterful balance.

Perhaps another actor couldn't have done that. Well, we know that, now.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  EmptySun Feb 24, 2019 4:12 am

It's like comparing OHMSS the novel to say one of the earlier more straight line ones like LALD. Both have Fleming's pure Bond mental monologue, but only the later novels starting in flashes with DN and going full force in GF does Bond's character become deeply psychologically complex overall.

I will say that I am still glad he didn't take over in 1986. I don't think we would have the same level of acting depth that he was able to do not only with age/experience but most likely a bit of "let's show them this time round" behind it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan    Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan  Empty

Back to top Go down

Tomorrow Never Dies Interview with Pierce Brosnan
Page 1 of 1