More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

"Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

"Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh Empty
PostSubject: "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh   "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 10:49 pm

Part of me wants to dismiss this as gimmicky nonsense (the fact that this was supposedly entirely shot on iPhones).
But between the trailer and Claire Foy, I'm just about sufficiently intrigued to give this a chance.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh   "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 11:45 am

I'm going to give it a go tomorrow, I think.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh   "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 12:10 pm

c

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh   "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 2:21 pm

Some of it reminded me a bit of "Shock Corridor".
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh   "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 2:34 pm

c

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh   "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 2:58 pm

I haven't, I was talking about what little we see in the trailer.

I think there has been a bit of a renaissance in terms of Fuller's work being appreciated in the past half-decade.

Likely because some aspects of his character work well in the modern mindset.

e.g. his casting of POC actors in his war films decades before this became the norm.

Or the story (largely apocryphal) about how he refused to direct "Patton" because he thought the real guy was an asshole.

His role in capturing the liberation of the Falkenau concentration camp on film has also been met with renewed interest in the 21st century.

One random thing I have always been fascinated by is the letter he sent his wife after D-Day.

"Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh 8GoYBlu

Describing the landing on Omaha beach as "rugged". It's not just women who have changed since that era.

If you are interested, his Silver Star commendation:

Quote :
Corporal Fuller landed with one of the initial assault waves France in the vicinity of Colleville-sur-Mer on 6 June 1944 and immediately began moving about the beach in an effort to aid the wounded and bring about some degree of control. Disregarding the intensity of the enemy fire, and the numerous mines and obstacles in the water, Corporal Fuller moved into the surf several times in order to drag wounded men to a point where they could be treated. When a breach was finally blown in the wire, the mission was given to Corporal Fuller of notifying the Regimental Commander of this. In order to reach the Regimental Commander, Corporal Fuller moved along one hundred yards of open beach, under constant heavy fire by the enemy. Not content with just having delivered the message, Corporal Fuller once more crossed the fire swept beach and notified the Regimental S-2 that the message had been delivered....Corporal Fuller was not wounded during this action.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh   "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 3:21 am

"Unsane?"

I suppose the title was left untranslated from the original Kiwi.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh   "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 9:13 pm

c

Back to top Go down
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

PostSubject: Re: "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh   "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 9:36 pm

Is it true that Peter Andre is doing the soundtrack?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh   "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh EmptyMon Mar 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
The English language is an instrument of patriarchal oppression. Piano wire and Zyklon B FTW.

Thanks for the Fuller stuff, Daisy; I shall return to it when I'm sober.

Since I have already hijacked this thread with Sam Fuller facts, another underappreciated thing about Fuller is his writing for his soldier characters.
No hokey discussions about Monty à la "Saving Private Ryan".
This is true from "The Steel Helmet" onward.
Also why he declined to cast John Wayne in the aforementioned film, even when it would have meant a bigger budget.
Sam Fuller wanted a guy like him, who had actually been in a war, in the lead role.
Thus the part went to the near anti-movie-star Gene Evans.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh   "Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh Empty

Back to top Go down

"Unsane" by Steven Soderbergh
Page 1 of 1