More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread

Go down 
+10
Perilagu Khan
Dr No
Sarai
Makeshift Python
T.A. Ferguson
Gravity's Silhouette
hegottheboot
Blunt Instrument
AMC Hornet
Hilly
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What do you think of Stacey Sutton?
One of the best Bond girls.
The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap33%The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 6 ]
Underrated, but not the best.
The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
Average/Does the job/Nothing special
The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap22%The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 22% [ 4 ]
One of the worst Bond girls
The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap33%The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2019 1:43 am

Well, looking forward to reading it when you do!
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2019 10:48 pm

I'm the same age as VTAK which is somewhat sobering. At any rate I'm ticking a poll option as I didn't realise we had one.

Underrated, not the best.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 12:12 am

Hilly wrote:

Underrated, not the best.

Good enough for me! colgate
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 11:34 pm

She's certainly one of the least convincing Bond actresses. GS makes an excellent point with Kara being a better example of a civilian that gets caught up in a Bond adventure. Maryam d'Abo has a much more earnest quality to her that makes me like her.

It's quite amazing how despite having the same major filmmakers behind the camera, AVTAK and TLD feel like worlds apart.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 12:18 am

Perhaps to answer my question it's in the casting. I don't think Roberts is unconvincing in the role but perhaps there's the subconscious distraction from her beauty. d'Abo does seem like she's inherently the girl next door whereas Roberts looks like an aloof supermodel. How can the school cheerleader have brains, or whatever. If that's the case, how terribly conservative of you, MP. wink
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 12:32 am

Denise Richards may not be the most convincing actress to play a nuclear physicist, but she was the least of my problems with TWINE. I can't say the same for Tanya Roberts, who I just found annoying as an actress. She just doesn't carry herself well in the part. Contrast that with Fiona Fullerton as Pola Ivanova, who I not only think is much more fun in her part but she has much better chemistry with Roger Moore.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 12:35 am

I do like Fiona Fullerton, and am glad she was there in place of Bach's Anya, as originally intended.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 12:38 am

Goodness, if only Bach was as good as her. Would have made TSWLM ten times better.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 1:03 am

100%. I wonder if TSWLM had sections rewritten because they felt Bach wasn't up to the task. I know Gilbert insisted on many takes with her because she just wasn't getting it. It would explain the goofiness in the earlier scenes - to pad out the run time and give us what's only absolutely necessary for the XXX subplot. But that's by far the most interesting aspect in TSLWM. From the writing and Bach's casting, it squanders its potential.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 4:11 am

No, the issue is that the producers always cast on looks and not chops to not only keep focus on Bond but to also...not have to pay higher salaries.
I think the direction and editing are so good on TSWLM that Bach comes across perfectly-and there is more subtlety to the relationship because of the Cold War temporary detente alliance AND the fact that there is the added layer of sexual tension amidst the cool professionalism of XXX. This is why I think the Bond-Wai Lin partnership never hits the same level of effectiveness because there is far less subtlety for the actors to play with. (Which is most assuredly from the script troubles)

Pola Ivanova is woefully needed more in AVTAK. But I will say I've warmed to Stacey over the years even if it isn't the best performance or best written part. I used to think as a kid her screams were like a squealing pig and laughed out loud when the doors closed her temporarily in the fiery elevator shaft as if Bond just had had enough of her being useless...

But she is one of the "normal girls caught up in events over her head" which is understandable but then she is also "other girl to shag in the end reel who also conveniently is an expert in the subject of the villain scheme to give plot exposition" which causes an unfortunate level of Bond girl tropes in the same character.

I think they should have fleshed her character out more and perhaps given more to Pola instead of Mayday-or better yet strengthen Mayday's presence to better utilize her climactic reversal and perhaps have one of the others as the sacrificial lamb.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 1:29 am

As I've said before, I don't agree that Bach's Anya works in the film so won't get into that again. I think, given Yeoh's screen presence allows us to buy into their dynamic. Plus, the writing of these two agents whose countries are on the brink of war develops nicely through the film.

I think the backstory more than justifies Stacey's character. The fact there's history between Zorin, Stacey and her inheritance creates some intrigue while grounding her as that girl next door as she works to stop Zorin in his tracks.

I like the idea of Pola having more screentime. After her colleague's death, she disappears from the film. I think she should have come back for the mine stuff, and then ended with Bond, Stacey and Pola in the shower.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 1:40 am

I just never feel for Stacey. When she tears that check up, it's a moment we're supposed to admire her integrity, but I just doze off.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 3:06 am

If Stacey was black you'd feel for her and admire her integrity, no doubt.

tongue
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 11:41 am

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
I think she should have come back for the mine stuff, and then ended with Bond, Stacey and Pola in the shower.

Dear God Fields, Rog was 58 at that stage ... what are you trying to do to him?!? laugh
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 12:14 pm

Keep the British end up.

laugh
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 10:44 pm

If Stacey was black you'd feel for her and admire her integrity, no doubt.

tongue

So, Jinx?
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2019 4:05 am

Stacey does have a bit of tenacity in that scene as even Bond is impressed she throws away 5 million in 1985 money like that. She does indeed have more worth to her character and after all the viewings and re-viewings over the years you are finally able to get past all of the incessant screaming to see on the page that she is a precursor to Kara as a "girl caught up in events" character.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 12, 2019 8:46 pm

I have to agree with the OP on all points. I won't bother getting into her looks as she is flawless, perfect imo but very formidable too. She get's the drop on Bond in her house with the shotgun. Then she helps him fight off the goon squad. She aggressively goes after Max in all ways after rejecting his offer, from her investigation at city hall all the way to the extremely dangerous position she is in the end. Takes out a henchman on the blimp.Drives the fire truck. Escapes from May Day.  She really is quite impressive for an every day person caught in these circumstances and despite the scream never really seems rattled by any of it.

and I love her voice
Back to top Go down
Dr No

Dr No

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 12:47 am

I liked how even though Tanya Roberts was coached on how to talk like a Californian oil heiress, her Bronx accent comes out in the mine scene, when Bond and Stacey are hiding in the mine cart and she asks Bond what it is she is sitting on.

I agree with all of your points,Sarai. She isn't a damsel in distress. She gets stuck in on fights and takes charge when appropriate.

Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 3:10 pm

Dr No wrote:
I liked how even though Tanya Roberts was coached on how to talk like a Californian oil heiress, her Bronx accent comes out in the mine scene, when Bond and Stacey are hiding in the mine cart and she asks Bond what it is she is sitting on.

Lucky mine...
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 4:52 pm

^that
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 12:30 am

Indeed she doesn't mind sitting on explosive instruments.

Glad you both agree Sarai and Dr. No. I will say that I think she does seem rattled by much of what's happening around her. I see that scene with the "Zorin stooge" as her pushed to desperation but wearing a brave face to hide how frightened she is. Her cuddle into Bond as Howe is murdered certainly reiterates that but other circumstances keep pulling her back into the moment as she fights to survive (the elevator, the fire truck), not giving her the time to grieve her dickhead boss.
Back to top Go down
Dr No

Dr No

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 11:10 am

The thing that annoys me(and i think most of the Bond fandom) is just after May Day is killed and Stacey is cslling out Bond's name.

How could she allow herself to be kidnapped by Zorin in his slow moving blimp? Surely she must've heard it!

Zorin's plan has fallen to pieces. So i think it's just a way of getting Bond to fight Zorin.

Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 6:31 pm

"How could she allow herself to be kidnapped by Zorin in his slow moving blimp? Surely she must've heard it!"

lol I don't know and this one comes up often. maybe she did hear it but didn't really think about what he was doing or that he would actually grab her? I mean what his point in doing that anyways?

I'm trying here haha
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Indeed she doesn't mind sitting on explosive instruments.

Glad you both agree Sarai and Dr. No. I will say that I think she does seem rattled by much of what's happening around her. I see that scene with the "Zorin stooge" as her pushed to desperation but wearing a brave face to hide how frightened she is. Her cuddle into Bond as Howe is murdered certainly reiterates that but other circumstances keep pulling her back into the moment as she fights to survive (the elevator, the fire truck), not giving her the time to grieve her dickhead boss.

sure, I don't think I would debate the rattled aspect of it or how it shook her or to what degree

I think I was just more looking at it from the POV of what I would be like in that situation and I would have been 2,000 miles away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next