More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff

Go down 
+7
Sarai
Morland_Specials
Strangways&Quarrel
bitchcraft
Blunt Instrument
CJB
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff Empty
PostSubject: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 9:15 am

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1106022-exclusive-naomie-harris-barry-jenkins-want-to-do-a-moneypenny-movie?fbclid=IwAR0I1qafa9KN72qzfmO5Qto2h5QHBO0iT18sOVwxwKoegArFHv9tbP2VRSI

God no. The Moneypenny scenes in SP were so tedious. How can they think she needs her own spin-off? A Michelle Yeoh/Wai Lin centred movie would have been fantastic, and it even made sense for a Berry/Jinx or Bach/XXX spin off... but not M's secretary.

And for Babsy to even waste time entertaining that idea... sad
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 10:05 am

So, it'd be like an episode of The Office?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 10:20 am

With this Moneypenny's story being that she tried field-work, screwed it up and took a desk job instead on Bond's advice I don't see how this would work.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 10:22 am

It would be Miss Moneypenny becoming Ms Moneypenny and toting a gun again because she an independent strong black woman who don't need no man.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 11:44 am

Your synopsis makes it sound like it should've been made in the 70s, with Pam Grier as Moneypenny laugh .
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 5:47 pm

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
It would be Miss Moneypenny becoming Ms Moneypenny and toting a gun again because she an independent strong black woman who don't need no man.

Lynch already got that gig in NTTD.

Naomi would have to think of something else.

Personally, I wish she'd be quiet...she's letting too much slip when she runs her mouth.
Back to top Go down
Strangways&Quarrel
'R'
'R'
Strangways&Quarrel

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 8:19 pm

Moneypenny is already dull enough so a spin-off would be an insufferable mess and potential box office bomb so ... I can totally seeing this getting a green light sadly.
Back to top Go down
Morland_Specials

Morland_Specials

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 9:32 pm

What a horrible idea. Still, it will tick a box and placate the virtue signal mob (who don't give a damn about JB anyhow) and as S&Q wrote previously it'll earn a pathetic total in receipts but hey, as long as they're seen to try right? Ugggh!

I used to have a fierce teenage boy crush on Samantha Bond though.
Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff Sbmp10

Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 11:25 pm

I still have a crush on 90s Samantha Bond.

To be honest, I wouldn't have minded a feature centred on Maxwell or Bond's versions because it would more than likely focus on the inner workings of MI6 and the balance between her work and home life. However, in today's climate, there would be too much temptation to be edgy, and virtue signal, and change who the character is.
Back to top Go down
Morland_Specials

Morland_Specials

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 11:32 pm

I couldn't agree more. The Moneypenny of those days is either directly or tangentially involved in serious, earth-shaking business; but we only glimpse her inner life when she's called in suddenly like in GoldenEye. Have you ever wondered what sort of gentlemen she went to the theater with?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 9:56 am

This seems to be another part of a misguided attempt to create a 'Bondverse' ... it works fine for other franchises (Marvel being the most obvious example), and good luck to them.

But Bond simply hasn't needed and doesn't need it, which is presumably why the Wai-Lin and Jinx spin-offs came to nothing. Hearing about other 00s meeting their end or them being Bond's mission partners (like Trevelyan in the GE pre-credits) is both fine AND as far as it should go.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 10:28 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:

But Bond simply hasn't needed and doesn't need it, which is presumably why the Wai-Lin and Jinx spin-offs came to nothing.  

I believe scheduling conflicts hindered Yeoh's Wai Lin movie and the Jinx spinoff was shelved because of the poor box office results of female led action movies at the time.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 11:18 am

Hollywood has no clue how to create a female action star and all their attempts are embarrassing and so hamfisted nobody wants to see them. If you watch movies from other countries especially Asian films they don't have that problem at all. They just simply write the plot and the female character as if she were a human being. I mean you could take the female out of the lead and have it a Sonny Chiba flick instead and the dialogue would be essentially the same. Hollywood just doesn't get it. It's the same with casting a minority and again it becomes self conscious and embarrassing to even watch as if they are that lost on how to write a black character male or female. Here is an idea Hollywood...how about just create the character like they were a human being and not a walking stereotype.  Hollywood are so far behind they think they are ahead.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 12:22 pm

Ironically enough I think female characters of old Hollywood had it better then than today. Blanche Dubois, Eve Harrington, Sophie Zawistowski, Scarlett O'Hara, Mrs Robinson, Diana Christensen... even classic Bond girls like Pussy Galore, Fiona Volpe, Tanya Romanova and Tracy Bond are strong, complex characters. Now, as long as there's some element of vengeance involved and they can handle themselves in a fight scene, they're suddenly "interesting". Nicole Kidman as Becca in Rabbit Hole is far more interesting than many of the "strong" female characters in action movies today.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 12:56 pm

Men and women both when you look back at all the old Hollywood actors.Instead of Bogart and Cagney it's now Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. Katharine Hepburn and Bette Davis and now Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett Johansson.

I do like Nicole Kidman though...something about her just fascinates me ever since I watched Dogville.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 12:58 pm

Paulette Goddard in Modern Times has to be the most beautiful woman I have ever seen on screen. I just wanted to keep her.

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 3:36 pm

I wouldn't be against it with Naomie Harris (heck Moneypenny got her own series of books), but since Barbara isn't really keen of the idea it's better to just put that aside.

If there has to be a spin-off, I'd rather have a Felix Leiter side project with a new actor who would presumably appear in Bond films with the new actor.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 4:48 pm

Ironically enough I think female characters of old Hollywood had it better then than today. Blanche Dubois, Eve Harrington, Sophie Zawistowski, Scarlett O'Hara, Mrs Robinson, Diana Christensen... even classic Bond girls like Pussy Galore, Fiona Volpe, Tanya Romanova and Tracy Bond are strong, complex characters. Now, as long as there's some element of vengeance involved and they can handle themselves in a fight scene, they're suddenly "interesting". Nicole Kidman as Becca in Rabbit Hole is far more interesting than many of the "strong" female characters in action movies today.

The problem is Hollywood wants women to be men, and no rational human being wants or believes that to be possible.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 4:51 pm

Sarai wrote:
Paulette Goddard in Modern Times has to be the most beautiful woman I have ever seen on screen. I just wanted to keep her.

Never heard of her, but, of course, had to look her up. Not bad at all...
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 5:41 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Sarai wrote:

Never heard of her, but, of course, had to look her up. Not bad at all...

watch the movie you will fall in love with her
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 5:43 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:

The problem is Hollywood wants women to be men, and no rational human being wants or believes that to be possible.

thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 9:17 pm

This all gives me hope of two of my Bond spinoff idea. Kara's trek through music school many years before she met Bond in Living Daylights. I mean, can't be as bad as this idea.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 10:34 pm

Hilly wrote:
This all gives me hope of two of my Bond spinoff idea. Kara's trek through music school many years before she met Bond in Living Daylights. I mean, can't be as bad as this idea.

I'd like to see a film dilating upon how Christmas obtained her Ph.D. in nuclear physics! But, of course, it would have to be x-rated...

laugh
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 10:55 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Hilly wrote:

I'd like to see a film dilating upon how Christmas obtained her Ph.D. in nuclear physics! But, of course, it would have to be x-rated...

laugh

Ha, yes.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 8:35 am

She'd definitely be coming more than once a year. As it were.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff   Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff Empty

Back to top Go down

Naomie Harris, Barry Jenkins approach Babs for a Moneypenny spinoff
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Bond: General News & General Discussion-
Jump to: