More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD

Go down 
+5
bitchcraft
Perilagu Khan
Gravity's Silhouette
CJB
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD   Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2019 1:05 am

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
If Goldeneye was released in 2012, with inflated ticket prices and a bigger population, also being released on the 50th anniversary, it would have received the same reception SF did.

If Brosnan was in that hypothetical 2012 instead of Craig? Debatable. Though Brosnan did get DIE ANOTHER DAY for the 40th anniversary, and that was his biggest hit of his run, and even adjusted for inflation it doesn't surpass Craig's least successful film that was QUANTUM OF SOLACE.

Quote :
MP wrote:
Word is that Michael will retire after NTTD, and while Barbara will remain a producer she'll let Gregg take the lead in the direction of the Bond series.

Source?

There's a chap on MI6 who's well acquainted with EON, has become pretty well trusted.

Quote :
Hopefully Greg looks at what his father accomplished in the 80s and goes with that.

Given that the 80s was the least successful decade of the series, I might not count on that.

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
If Goldeneye was released in 2012, with inflated ticket prices and a bigger population, also being released on the 50th anniversary, it would have received the same reception SF did.

MP wrote:
Word is that Michael will retire after NTTD, and while Barbara will remain a producer she'll let Gregg take the lead in the direction of the Bond series.

Source?

Hopefully Greg looks at what his father accomplished in the 80s and goes with that.

I was told elsewhere that Gregg is more hands on in the development than would initially appear. Is he the next generation? Who knows. But you'd think he's be out in front of the cameras and doing more publicity if that were to occur. Then again, Barbara didn't come into the limelight fully until after Cubby passed away. She used to turn down a lot of offers for interviews and magazine shoots back in the 90's, preferring to let Michael be the face of the franchise. And then something changed. She dumped Brosnan at his peak and married her interest in making a Bourne-like Bond with her politics. In fact, I'd be surprised if Craig's politics don't match her own. Feels like she got a kindred spirit in Craig, and in a way he's become more powerful than MGW; calling the shots in a way I don't remember any of the previous actors doing.  Pity about MGW, really. His contributions to the series have been excellent.

I don't know if Barbara has any kids. I'm sure Branwell McClory would run the franchise if only EON would give him the chance.

Basically MGW is getting older and his role has been lessening since QOS, which is why he was not present for certain events like the press conference for SPECTRE. The impression is that the only reason he's stayed on as producer was because Barbara always felt more comfortable with her brother at her side, so at least by the 2010s he's been more of an advisor than the face of the franchise like he was in the 1990s and 2000s. If you even look back on TND he was already complaining about having felt worn out working on Bond films since TSWLM, and now it's been over 40 years since he joined EON. By 2023 Barbara will have been part of the EON machine for 40 years and will be in her 60s. This is why Gregg is starting to have a more active role over recent years, they're grooming him to take the lead. I imagine she'll eventually play a less role as a producer but be there as the helpful aunt.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD   Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2019 9:58 pm

Makeshift Python wrote:

Basically MGW is getting older and his role has been lessening since QOS, which is why he was not present for certain events like the press conference for SPECTRE. The impression is that the only reason he's stayed on as producer was because Barbara always felt more comfortable with her brother at her side, so at least by the 2010s he's been more of an advisor than the face of the franchise like he was in the 1990s and 2000s. If you even look back on TND he was already complaining about having felt worn out working on Bond films since TSWLM, and now it's been over 40 years since he joined EON. By 2023 Barbara will have been part of the EON machine for 40 years and will be in her 60s. This is why Gregg is starting to have a more active role over recent years, they're grooming him to take the lead. I imagine she'll eventually play a less role as a producer but be there as the helpful aunt.

Just watched DAD today. I noticed the article that Bond was reading about Gustav Graves was written by "Gregg Wilson" :) I had to hit rewind to make sure I didn't misread it.

If I ever noticed it before I forgot it.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD   Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 8:39 am

Possibly his version of his father's cameos?
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD   Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 30, 2019 8:47 am

Turns out Gregg has already started doing cameos with SF, and has a shared cameo with his father in SP. So it seems he'll be carrying on the tradition at least. I hope even after retiring as producer Michael will still pop up in cameos. It's always been fun to spot him in the theater.

I remember easily seeing him in SKYFALL, despite appearing so far in the background the massive IMAX projection made it easy for me to pick him out. Didn't realize how far off he was until I saw it on TV later and he's just a small speck.

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD   Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 30, 2019 11:36 am

Nice video ... must admit I've missed quite a few of those down the years.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD   Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 01, 2019 1:43 am

Yeah, I thought he only did one cameo per film, but then it turns out he did multiple cameos in some of the early appearances like MR!
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD   Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 01, 2019 11:20 am

To be honest, the only one I even remembered off the top of my head was the one from GE. Wilson must have a classic 'everyman' face.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD   Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 01, 2019 4:05 pm

CJB wrote:
To be honest, the only one I even remembered off the top of my head was the one from GE. Wilson must have a classic 'everyman' face.

Only ones I recalled were TND and CR.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD   Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 2:02 am

Makeshift Python wrote:

If Brosnan was in that hypothetical 2012 instead of Craig? Debatable. Though Brosnan did get DIE ANOTHER DAY for the 40th anniversary, and that was his biggest hit of his run, and even adjusted for inflation it doesn't surpass Craig's least successful film that was QUANTUM OF SOLACE.

Quote :
MP wrote:

Source?

There's a chap on MI6 who's well acquainted with EON, has become pretty well trusted.

Quote :

Given that the 80s was the least successful decade of the series, I might not count on that.

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:

MP wrote:

Source?

I was told elsewhere that Gregg is more hands on in the development than would initially appear. Is he the next generation? Who knows. But you'd think he's be out in front of the cameras and doing more publicity if that were to occur. Then again, Barbara didn't come into the limelight fully until after Cubby passed away. She used to turn down a lot of offers for interviews and magazine shoots back in the 90's, preferring to let Michael be the face of the franchise. And then something changed. She dumped Brosnan at his peak and married her interest in making a Bourne-like Bond with her politics. In fact, I'd be surprised if Craig's politics don't match her own. Feels like she got a kindred spirit in Craig, and in a way he's become more powerful than MGW; calling the shots in a way I don't remember any of the previous actors doing.  Pity about MGW, really. His contributions to the series have been excellent.

I don't know if Barbara has any kids. I'm sure Branwell McClory would run the franchise if only EON would give him the chance.

If DAD had a script as focused as SF's then it would have (and I'm willing to bet Tamahori's rewrites prevented it from being as good as SF is).

I'm placing my full faith in Gregg, hoping his father gives him some sage advice as he reflects on what made the Bond series so enduring and attractive in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD   Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 2:03 am

CJB wrote:

The MR, GE, TND, TWINE and QOS ones are the ones I always remember, but then they're most obvious to me. I'd forgotten about the CR but then I haven't wanted to give that a watch for a few years.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD   Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 3:49 am

MGW in the FYEO blink and miss it priest cameo took me forever to find.

It's sad to think of him retiring though its ironic that doubling for Oddjob and gofering on GF eventually became a full time job. I'm still amazed at some of his intrinsic understanding of what the stories needed in terms of building the 80's plots-not that he was always perfect but he did inject fresh blood into the stories to assist Maibaum.

Starting with the 80's the grosses were really hurt by losing the incredible UA distribution system and being tied to the never ending dying nightmare of the destroyed MGM. Competition grew rapidly and by the end of the decade LTK was essentially thrown to the juggernaut wolves in the 1989 release slate and had no chance. Cubby spent a lot of time holding the insanity of MGM's ideas and control schemes at bay so we're lucky the films were released untouched at all.

DAD vs CR 06 is virtually the same box office result in terms of domestic. CR 06 eventually made more due to the worldwide gross pushing it over the top since the paradigm we know now of any studio tentpole making a killing overseas had already emerged. DAD had higher times at no. 1 and had a bigger opening weekend whereas CR 06 had to build up due to the 4 year gap and drastic changeover. CR 06 also had a slightly higher budget.
So the notion of CR06 being so much better performing than DAD is really not so. They did about the same domestically and then worldwide on CR06 doubled because the industry was changing.

Though admittedly I have wondered what exactly MGW must think of the new films. I assumed he was having to focus on the legal aspects of the CR/sony settlement and never ending studio hopping instead of the productions themselves.

He and Barbara have both had their work cut out for them on that front alone and most don't realize how difficult it has been to keep things going-but you have to wonder what exactly has been going on in crafting new directions. In the Brosnan era they let too much get guided by outside forces and sometimes influenced by the directors hired whilst seeming to listen somewhat to Brozzer's input. Now it seems they have been dutifully following the zeitgeist and the actor's voice and thrown everything else to the wind.
The MI films from Ghost Protocol onwards are making a fortune and capturing audience goodwill by blatantly stealing the series thunder and formula-albeit very watered down-and is able to do so because there is an empty vacuum for action adventure films.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD   Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 12:28 pm

Good point about the DAD/CR domestic takings... Sarai was right about you (not that I had any reservations!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD   Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Daniel Craig will no longer play James Bond after NTTD
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2