More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best

Go down 
+4
hegottheboot
Blunt Instrument
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Hilly
8 posters

The Best Ken Adam Set
Dr No- No's Control Room (Crab Key)
World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  Vote_lcap13%World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  Vote_rcap
 13% [ 1 ]
Goldfinger- Fort Knox
World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  Vote_lcap13%World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  Vote_rcap
 13% [ 1 ]
Thunderball- SPECTRE Briefing Room (Paris)
 13% [ 1 ]
Thunderball- Briefing Room (London)
World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  Vote_lcap0%World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
You Only Live Twice- Tiger's Spa
 13% [ 1 ]
You Only Live Twice- Blofeld's volcano lair
World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  Vote_lcap25%World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  Vote_rcap
 25% [ 2 ]
Diamonds Are Forever- The Whyte House (Penthouse)
World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  Vote_lcap0%World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Diamonds Are Forever- Whyte's Home
 0% [ 0 ]
Diamonds Are Forever- Oil rig
 0% [ 0 ]
The Spy Who Loved Me- Liparus' sub pen
 13% [ 1 ]
The Spy Who Loved Me- Atlantis (various interiors)
 0% [ 0 ]
Moonraker- Drax's Amazon Base (incl shuttle pen)
 13% [ 1 ]
Moonraker- The Station (Earth orbit)
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  Empty
PostSubject: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptyMon May 11, 2020 6:32 pm

I'm a touch bored but watching these films lately, I was thinking if we had an opinion on the best sets that Adams produced. I've done some researching so if I've missed an option, apologies.

Last edited by Hilly on Mon May 11, 2020 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptyMon May 11, 2020 11:33 pm

Oh c'mon Hilly! This is too difficult.

Should we alter Stromberg's dining room for Atlantis as a whole? Maybe include Osato's office or the YOLT's surgical room? Spider room in Dr. No?

Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptyMon May 11, 2020 11:43 pm

Sure, I can edit it. And it is flaming difficult, Adam was a genius
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptyTue May 12, 2020 12:08 am

It was a toss up between Crab Key, Fort Knox and the volcano lair. I opted for Fort Knox. I've really grown to appreciate the ending of GF in the last few rewatches and much of that is down to Ken Adam. The gold behind the bars, those vault doors, the staircases, the colour scheme, the offices/garage section... Truly showcases the striking imagination of a creative mastermind especially since he needs to operate within the confines of a real building/location.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptyTue May 12, 2020 12:19 am

I plugged for the Liparus. Just the scale of it, the replicas of the three subs, the moving parts like lifts, mini Mokes, the battle itself, the subs leaving and everything wrapped up in the middle. It's a tough call as even the 'minor' Adam sets are brilliant in their way.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptyTue May 12, 2020 1:09 am

Hilly wrote:
It's a tough call as even the 'minor' Adam sets are brilliant in their way.

Yep, Osato's office still remains a firm favourite in the entire series for me. And Dr. No's living quarters.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptyTue May 12, 2020 1:14 am

Blofeld's in YOLT was pretty nifty, the piranha pond, the bridge...Adam's sets always had scope.

I forget outside of Bond he was responsible for the war room in Dr Strangelove.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptyTue May 12, 2020 1:17 am

Why didn't he return after MR? Did we ever find that out? Is it just because of the change of direction from MR to FYEO?

That said, one of the finest non-Adam sets is the Soviet meeting room in Octopussy!
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptyTue May 12, 2020 11:52 am

I can't choose just one, the man was a genius.

If you forget you're looking at something that is contained within a studio/soundstage, job done. And every one of Adam's sets does that.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptyTue May 12, 2020 12:47 pm

It's a right Sophie's Choice, Blunty.

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
Why didn't he return after MR? Did we ever find that out? Is it just because of the change of direction from MR to FYEO?

That said, one of the finest non-Adam sets is the Soviet meeting room in Octopussy!

I don't know why he didn't stay on, I'll have to have a look. Direction of films might have something to do with it, they're rather 'grounded' from FYEO on though the mine set in VTAK is grand enough and the drug factory in LTK.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptyTue May 12, 2020 1:55 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
I can't choose just one, the man was a genius.

If you forget you're looking at something that is contained within a studio/soundstage, job done. And every one of Adam's sets does that.  

Quite! No matter how fantastical, they never feel like sets. Right from the off with that excellent skylight in the spider room in Dr. No.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptyWed May 13, 2020 11:30 am

Yep, and the fact that he pulled that off in the days before Broccoli and Saltzman had a stack of cash to throw at it is even more impressive.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptySat May 16, 2020 11:38 pm

They're all astonishing both the bigger than life ones and the small ones. But he could then do a complete 180 and do Barry Lyndon of all things! Talented, genius visionary these words don't even begin to describe-but I might have to go with the entirety of DN which he did FOR NOTHING. I have no earthly idea how it looks so good and so striking through the whole picture on that budget. And then the spider room was a last minute afterthought with no budget!!!
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptySun May 17, 2020 2:19 am

My vote for the volcano base altered the results from a four-way, 25 percent tie to a five-way, 20 percent tie. If I'd voted for the Liparus (my other favorite) the result would have been the same.
Adam also designed the sets for Addams Family Values, much more reminiscent of Chas. Addams illustrations than those in the first film.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptySun May 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Sound choices chaps. Well, we have to hope someone comes to break the deadlock.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptyMon May 18, 2020 12:33 am

hegottheboot wrote:
They're all astonishing both the bigger than life ones and the small ones. But he could then do a complete 180 and do Barry Lyndon of all things! Talented, genius visionary these words don't even begin to describe-but I might have to go with the entirety of DN which he did FOR NOTHING. I have no earthly idea how it looks so good and so striking through the whole picture on that budget. And then the spider room was a last minute afterthought with no budget!!!

Very good point. Shoestring budget for the production design and yet I'd gladly live in No's living quarters at Crab Key. Even knowing the entire film was budgeted at $1m dollars, when the Doctor himself says the fish tank alone cost as much, you somehow still believe it.
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptyTue Jul 14, 2020 10:03 am

Blofelds volcano lair hands down, the biggest most budget busting set at that time....amazing!
Oh, Willard whytes home wasn't a set this was Elrod house in (i think ) California
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptySat May 20, 2023 7:06 pm

Adam was a genius. I picked the SPECTRE briefing room in TB. There is just something so cool and stylish about it, and Ted Moore also is a part of that.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptySun May 21, 2023 12:03 am

What, no 'tarantula room' from DN?

given that STRANGELOVE is his early crowning achievement, he still delivered absolute wonders for decades after that. I really love the control room in MR and the corridors in SPY ... I think a lot of these pics reflect what his work on STAR TREK would have resembled if it came to fruition, especially MR's hamster habitrail tubes, which seemed very Paris airport if I remember THE CONCORDE AIRPORT 79 correctly. Love the TB conference room too, and Blofeld's Vegas digs.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  EmptySun May 21, 2023 11:13 am

trevanian wrote:
What, no 'tarantula room' from DN?

Good call. That is certainly at the top of the list. Looks fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best    World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best  Empty

Back to top Go down

World's Beyond: Ken Adam's Best
Page 1 of 1