More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Survey finds Connery is the best Bond

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Survey finds Connery is the best Bond Empty
PostSubject: Survey finds Connery is the best Bond   Survey finds Connery is the best Bond EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 11:28 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8610219/We-werent-expecting-Mr-Bond-Survey-reveals-Britons-favourite-007-actors.html

This is great news. Ordinarily I don't find much credibility in these rankings, usually because a few hundred are surveyed in a poll and that's it. But this one is a little more extensive: more than 14000 voters. And while I wasn't one of them, good thinking prevailed and Craig failed to make the top 3. But Brosnan did.

1. Connery
2. Dalton
3. Brosnan

I foreshadow a swift decline of affinity for the current era once he moves on. Oh how I wish this survey was conducted in 2016.
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: Survey finds Connery is the best Bond   Survey finds Connery is the best Bond EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 4:27 pm

Another trailer release...looks great!, i have to say despite all the scepticism i have read about NTTD i am really looking forward to it, as for the best Bond survey 14000 voters whilst it sounds a lot is still a very,very small minority of the worlds population who might of had an opinion and is therefore irelevant
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Survey finds Connery is the best Bond   Survey finds Connery is the best Bond EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 1:47 pm

Absolutely it's a small minority, but I think a survey of this scale could be reflective of the wider community.
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: Survey finds Connery is the best Bond   Survey finds Connery is the best Bond EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 5:28 pm

A much more in depth survey produced this result...and Dalton was last

Ranking the Bonds
Anyone who considers himself or herself even a casual Bond fan typically opines on who they think is the best James Bond. In this section, we present a simple ranking methodology as a way to answer this question. We consider the worldwide gross, net profit of the films (i.e., the adjusted worldwide gross minus the adjusted budget), the average user ratings of the films, and the number of films featuring each actor. For each variable, we rank the James Bond actors and then calculate the means of their rankings. The lowest mean is given a final ranking of 1, and the highest mean is given a ranking of 6. All these rankings are reported in Table 2.

Table 2—Rankings of the James Bond Actors by Different Variables

Note: The last column is the ranking of the average of the four ranking variables.

The results show that Connery comes out as the best James Bond, according to our methodology. This is not unexpected considering he defined the role and has some of the most popular movies during his tenure as 007, like “From Russia with Love” and “Goldfinger.” Craig is second, which again is not unexpected considering he is the current James Bond and his three films have been very successful. Third is Moore, who starred in the most James Bond films of any actor—seven. While we noted the decline in the adjusted worldwide gross of his films, their success is still quite good considering they were released during years that saw competition from box office hits like “E.T.” and the original “Star Wars” films.

Ranked fourth by our methodology is Brosnan, whose debut film “Goldeneye” was very well received after the franchise took a six-year hiatus. Each of his subsequent movies saw success at the box office, but they are sometimes viewed as declining in quality as demonstrated with the decreasing ratings in Table 1. Fifth is Lazenby, who only starred in one James Bond film, “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.” Fortunately, this movie is often regarded by critics and fans as being one of the best in the Bond canon as we see the character humanized by getting married, but only to have his wife killed on their wedding day. In sixth place is Timothy Dalton, who was actually asked by the original producer of the James Bond films, Cubby Broccoli, to succeed Connery back in the early 1970s. However, Timothy Dalton passed at the time because he felt he was “too young” for the role, only being in his late 20s at the time. While Dalton is a classically trained actor who spent time performing with the Royal Shakespeare Company, he was unfortunate in that his films were made during a time when the Bond formula was seen as stale. In fact, he was slated to star in a third James Bond film, but the concept was shelved due to studio issues until Brosnan made his debut in “Goldeneye.”
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: Survey finds Connery is the best Bond   Survey finds Connery is the best Bond EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 5:42 pm

Damn!.....cut n paste diden't show the tables , here's the link if you are interested smile

https://chance.amstat.org/2014/04/james-bond/
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Survey finds Connery is the best Bond   Survey finds Connery is the best Bond EmptyWed Aug 12, 2020 1:57 pm

Summarise how they got those results. How many people did they survey? Also, it's not up to date. And QOS wasn't successful in the eyes of the producers, considering it made less than its predecessors on top of an increased budget, received mixed reviews and is one almost universally hated by fans.
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: Survey finds Connery is the best Bond   Survey finds Connery is the best Bond EmptyWed Aug 12, 2020 5:18 pm

Than we shall agree to disagree, but one thing that seems to be conclusive is that Sean connery was and probably always will be considered the best Bond yes
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Survey finds Connery is the best Bond   Survey finds Connery is the best Bond EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 7:14 pm

I tend to ignore these rankings. Load of bumpf compiled by people who think they know Bond.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
You don’t know me
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
You don’t know me

PostSubject: Re: Survey finds Connery is the best Bond   Survey finds Connery is the best Bond EmptyFri Aug 21, 2020 5:02 pm

silvertoe wrote:
A much more in depth survey produced this result...and Dalton was last

Ranking the Bonds
Anyone who considers himself or herself even a casual Bond fan typically opines on who they think is the best James Bond. In this section, we present a simple ranking methodology as a way to answer this question. We consider the worldwide gross, net profit of the films (i.e., the adjusted worldwide gross minus the adjusted budget), the average user ratings of the films, and the number of films featuring each actor. For each variable, we rank the James Bond actors and then calculate the means of their rankings. The lowest mean is given a final ranking of 1, and the highest mean is given a ranking of 6. All these rankings are reported in Table 2.

Note: The last column is the ranking of the average of the four ranking variables.

The results show that Connery comes out as the best James Bond, according to our methodology. This is not unexpected considering he defined the role and has some of the most popular movies during his tenure as 007, like “From Russia with Love” and “Goldfinger.” Craig is second, which again is not unexpected considering he is the current James Bond and his three films have been very successful. Third is Moore, who starred in the most James Bond films of any actor—seven. While we noted the decline in the adjusted worldwide gross of his films, their success is still quite good considering they were released during years that saw competition from box office hits like “E.T.” and the original “Star Wars” films.

Ranked fourth by our methodology is Brosnan, whose debut film “Goldeneye” was very well received after the franchise took a six-year hiatus. Each of his subsequent movies saw success at the box office, but they are sometimes viewed as declining in quality as demonstrated with the decreasing ratings in Table 1. Fifth is Lazenby, who only starred in one James Bond film, “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.” Fortunately, this movie is often regarded by critics and fans as being one of the best in the Bond canon as we see the character humanized by getting married, but only to have his wife killed on their wedding day. In sixth place is Timothy Dalton, who was actually asked by the original producer of the James Bond films, Cubby Broccoli, to succeed Connery back in the early 1970s. However, Timothy Dalton passed at the time because he felt he was “too young” for the role, only being in his late 20s at the time. While Dalton is a classically trained actor who spent time performing with the Royal Shakespeare Company, he was unfortunate in that his films were made during a time when the Bond formula was seen as stale. In fact, he was slated to star in a third James Bond film, but the concept was shelved due to studio issues until Brosnan made his debut in “Goldeneye.”

Yeah, that seems more reasonable. It's hard to believe that Craig isn't in the top 3. This list mirrors my own, except I have Laz and Brosnan reversed.

Thanks for posting this.
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: Survey finds Connery is the best Bond   Survey finds Connery is the best Bond EmptySat Aug 22, 2020 11:30 am

But Craig was ranked 2nd .....click on the link and scroll down to "ranking the Bonds"

Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Survey finds Connery is the best Bond   Survey finds Connery is the best Bond EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am

you don't know me wrote:
It's hard to believe that Craig isn't in the top 3

It's quite hard to believe he cracks the top 5, tbh.
Back to top Go down
You don’t know me
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
You don’t know me

PostSubject: Re: Survey finds Connery is the best Bond   Survey finds Connery is the best Bond EmptyWed Aug 26, 2020 7:04 pm

silvertoe wrote:
But Craig was ranked 2nd .....click on the link and scroll down to "ranking the Bonds"

I know. That's why it seems more reasonable. He's immensely popular. I was referring to the OP. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Survey finds Connery is the best Bond   Survey finds Connery is the best Bond Empty

Back to top Go down

Survey finds Connery is the best Bond
Page 1 of 1