More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews

Go down 
+11
hegottheboot
Sarai
You don’t know me
bitchcraft
Somerset
Hilly
Perilagu Khan
Blunt Instrument
CJB
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Fort Knox
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2021 7:07 am

Well, can't win them all.
Back to top Go down
You don’t know me
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
You don’t know me

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2021 10:21 pm

bitchcraft wrote:
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:

Was it what we've come to expect from Craig? That is, reckless, impulsive nonsense disguised as grittiness?

Let's face it...you have an in-built contempt for Craig, the Craig era, and this film so there's really no point discussing it with you as you might as well be someone from CraigisnotBond. Seems like this new film is just a formality you want out of the way with quick dispatch....which makes discussing it on this forum rather off putting. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but it's just depressing to me and something I'd rather avoid.

I'll be moving on....cheers everyone.

***Dominic Greene voice***

"Sounds like you just lost another one!"

Yeah, I pretty much dropped out of here too because he just sucks the fun out of every conversation.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2021 5:17 am

I've seen it. On Friday. Had the weekend to soak it in. Thoughts still scattered. Finding it hard to discuss without spoilers but it will be fun once to do once it has made way around the globe.

Just a note since I'm relatively new: I'm not a big Craig era guy. I suppose the more die hard Craig types are going to love it. But I can definitely see how there would still be issues even for those people. If you despise the Craig era, you're not going to go for this. We are miles from the classic twenty. They are still definitely trying to appeal to "classic Bond" here but I think Mendes did it better in SP, for all its faults, and I now want to revisit that film for the first time in a while.

Action is fine, not a fault like in SP. You do feel the run time oddly enough in the middle but the finale is paced well enough that it pulls you through. I think the middle of the film is the worst, and the first part of the film is best. Some odd choices overall. Craig's performance varies wildly in the beginning and middle of the film, in my view, but I will say he's at his best when it counts most.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2021 4:42 pm

Somerset wrote:
I've seen it. On Friday. Had the weekend to soak it in. Thoughts still scattered. Finding it hard to discuss without spoilers but it will be fun once to do once it has made way around the globe.

Just a note since I'm relatively new: I'm not a big Craig era guy. I suppose the more die hard Craig types are going to love it. But I can definitely see how there would still be issues even for those people. If you despise the Craig era, you're not going to go for this. We are miles from the classic twenty. They are still definitely trying to appeal to "classic Bond" here but I think Mendes did it better in SP, for all its faults, and I now want to revisit that film for the first time in a while.

Action is fine, not a fault like in SP. You do feel the run time oddly enough in the middle but the finale is paced well enough that it pulls you through. I think the middle of the film is the worst, and the first part of the film is best. Some odd choices overall. Craig's performance varies wildly in the beginning and middle of the film, in my view, but I will say he's at his best when it counts most.

That strikes me as an honest, fair and balanced assessment. Such are fairly difficult to come by.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2021 9:28 am

Based on what y'all and others are saying, I'm certainly looking forward to NTTD, though hardly expect to love it. At a minimum, I have hope that they've bettered SPECTRE, which is a damn near irredeemable movie in my eyes.

Just need that fucker Bezos to bring the Australian release date forward now that things are opening up.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2021 9:36 am

Somerset wrote:
I think Mendes did it better in SP, for all its faults, and I now want to revisit that film for the first time in a while.

CJB wrote:
Based on what y'all and others are saying, I'm certainly looking forward to NTTD,

blink

Somerset wrote:

Regarding the action, I worry it's just going to be Craig-Bond in reckless mode. Is he? It certainly looked like that in car chase stuff in the trailer. I was hoping BC was going to answer that but she decided to forget I like Skyfall and ran off.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2021 12:03 pm

Somerset wrote:
I think Mendes did it better in SP, for all its faults, and I now want to revisit that film for the first time in a while.

CJB wrote:
Based on what y'all and others are saying, I'm certainly looking forward to NTTD,

blink

Somerset wrote:

Regarding the action, I worry it's just going to be Craig-Bond in reckless mode. Is he? It certainly looked like that in car chase stuff in the trailer. I was hoping BC was going to answer that but she decided to forget I like Skyfall and ran off.

If you mean scenes like blowing up the embassy and Craig in super aggressive mode I would say no. As for the car chase in the trailer with guns blazing it was more of a defensive move but hard to say much and keep it spoiler free.
it's still a Craig style movie obviously but he is in a totally different situation in terms of his life and the mission

Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2021 9:34 am

Well that's a step in the right direction.

What's the title sequence like?
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2021 1:19 pm

I can't really remember, I would have to watch it again and that's something I doubt I will ever do.
I couldn't even say if it was a good or bad movie. I just know I didn't like it and it didn't click with me on any level. The problem for me is that it is a continuation of Spectre and that was the only Bond movie that left me feeling bored and indifferent. I don't like Madeliene, Brofeld and that whole angle so there was very little chance I would have liked this movie in the first place without major changes. They did change the Brofeld and Spectre plot but in the laziest, clumsiest way imaginable which somehow made things worse. Safin had to be the worst villain ever put on screen or at least the most underused. His motivations felt like lazy writing as did the entire film.

Of course I could be wrong but I don't feel like there is any chance of you liking this movie. I say that because of how we differ in feelings and opinions when it comes to Craig and CR especially regarding the love story with Vesper. It would be pretty odd for you to not buy into the love story in CR but be able to with Madeline because there really is zero chemistry here and this movie really depends on that. Even if it had the greatest action sequences of any Bond film which I didn't see on screen it wouldn't make much difference or help much at all. None of the small details will make much difference.

As for other things people were worried about like Lashana Lynch it's really of no concern as she didn't do anything either one way or another. It's strange for a movie that was so lengthy it didn't feel like any of the characters had much screen time.
Reading other reviews I see a common complaint being the middle of the movie but I was still alright at that point as curiosity kept me going but by the end I was completely bored.
but who knows I don't want to sound too negative or rip every detail to shreds as I said I went into it not liking the characters in the first place and it might very well click with others where it didn't with me
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2021 3:14 am

I'll be going to the morning show tomorrow before work. I hope there's at least some spark but I have zero hope since each one has been torture for me. It's my usual "get it over with and support EON because I have to". That said I go into each one with an open mind and never go in trying to tear it apart just because. The film usually does that to me of course.

I did what I never do and marathoned all four first.

I hate the modern era with an intense passion but that doesn't stop me from trying to analyze them, what the goal was or having open discussions with people who like them.
I'm used to getting flack...I defend CR67.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2021 5:05 am

Hey, I grew up in a neighborhood where CR67 was the weekend movie at least twice a year, so that means I must have seen at least 20 times (sat + sun x 2 x 5years.) Ditto for MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, which at least doesn't require as much defending (except for Bucholz and Dexter.)

I have always thought CR67 was an awesome piece of op-art, and when I finally got to read a long piece with the guy who actually had to direct most of the film (Val Guest, I think), I was even more impressed.

Yeah, it is a mess on a magnitude that few other projects could ever even dread equaling, but it is zesty fun and the score is engaging and there's Joanna Pettet and Barbara Bouchet ... (geez, I'm beginning to sound like somebody defending Roger Moore's films, aren't I? Well the only reason I own SPY and MR is because I love the art direction and the miniature work and Barry's MR score.)
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2021 7:00 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
That strikes me as an honest, fair and balanced assessment. Such are fairly difficult to come by.

Thanks, Mr. PK, hope so! Tried to judge it on its own terms. Still am.

blink

laugh

New Bond film always invites comparisons. I guess SP - in spite of just about everything else - probably does the best job of the Craigs at building a classic Bondian world for him to inhabit - the day of the dead parade, Rome, Monica, the SPECTRE meeting, the white tux, train travel, etc. Never quite gets all the way there, but it was apparent to me that in NTTD they were attempting that again. And its world doesn't feel as full as SP in that regard.

Regarding the action, I worry it's just going to be Craig-Bond in reckless mode. Is he? It certainly looked like that in car chase stuff in the trailer.

I would agree with Sarai's comments on this.

What's the title sequence like?

I need to take it in again for a full assessment. They seemed a lot like SP's titles. I wonder how much the similarities of the last three songs affect the range of Kleinman's ideas? I mean there's some clever visuals as always, a few homages to past title sequences, and the transition into the titles was great. But also a lot that felt samesy.

Sarai wrote:
As for other things people were worried about like Lashana Lynch it's really of no concern as she didn't do anything either one way or another.

Yes, another thing I'd agree with. She might as well have not even been in the film, quite frankly.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2021 3:53 pm

Interesting. When NTtD was in the early stages of development, all we heard about was Lashana Lynch and how she was virtually the new Bond. It's beginning to sound like that was errant nonsense. If so, I might be willing to give the flick a go, after all.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2021 9:51 pm

Well, I accidentally stumbled upon a spoiler and needless to say I'm intending on hitting the sole cinema here very soon.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 2:25 am

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Hilly and HGTB!

Sarai wrote:

I can't really remember, I would have to watch it again and that's something I doubt I will ever do.
I couldn't even say if it was a good or bad movie. I just know I didn't like it and it didn't click with me on any level. The problem for me is that it is a continuation of Spectre and that was the only Bond movie that left me feeling bored and indifferent. I don't like Madeliene, Brofeld and that whole angle so there was very little chance I would have liked this movie in the first place without major changes. They did change the Brofeld and Spectre plot but in the laziest, clumsiest way imaginable which somehow made things worse. Safin had to be the worst villain ever put on screen or at least the most underused. His motivations felt like lazy writing as did the entire film.

These were my fears so I guess, at the very least, I can hope it's just better than CR06/QOS/SP - my bottom three!

But the bolded bit is an interesting tidbit. So they retconned the retcon?

Sarai wrote:
Of course I could be wrong but I don't feel like there is any chance of you liking this movie. I say that because of how we differ in feelings and opinions when it comes to Craig and CR especially regarding the love story with Vesper. It would be pretty odd for you to not buy into the love story in CR but be able to with Madeline because there really is zero chemistry here and this movie really depends on that. Even if it had the greatest action sequences of any Bond film which I didn't see on screen it wouldn't make much difference or help much at all. None of the small details will make much difference.
I already don't buy that Bond and Madeleine are in love so they'd have to do some serious work to convince me otherwise in NTTD. It's surprising that even for the semi-Craig fan you are that it hasn't resonated.

But this is what happens when one bases a film off another shoddy film.

Sarai wrote:
As for other things people were worried about like Lashana Lynch it's really of no concern as she didn't do anything either one way or another. It's strange for a movie that was so lengthy it didn't feel like any of the characters had much screen time.
I've seen a lot of discussion about Lashana's character being overhyped (perhaps to generate publicity amongst the woke) and inconsequential. So, in essence, she's manufactured simply to be a bit of virtue-signalling from Eon. I'd find it rather patronising, actually.

Have to say though I didn't mind the clip they showed on Graham Norton where she removes her hairpiece.

trevanian wrote:
Yeah, it is a mess on a magnitude that few other projects could ever even dread equaling, but it is zesty fun and the score is engaging and there's Joanna Pettet and Barbara Bouchet ... (geez, I'm beginning to sound like somebody defending Roger Moore's films, aren't I? Well the only reason I own SPY and MR is because I love the art direction and the miniature work and Barry's MR score.)

I'd be interested to see your Bond ranking. A few years have gone by and my whiskey-soaked brain can't remember.

Somerset wrote:
New Bond film always invites comparisons. I guess SP - in spite of just about everything else - probably does the best job of the Craigs at building a classic Bondian world for him to inhabit - the day of the dead parade, Rome, Monica, the SPECTRE meeting, the white tux, train travel, etc. Never quite gets all the way there, but it was apparent to me that in NTTD they were attempting that again. And its world doesn't feel as full as SP in that regard.

The reason I place SP just ahead of CR06 on my list. But those efforts are undercut by that truly awful final act in London which feels like it occupies the same ghastly, ill-informed world of CR06.

Have to say I can't warm to Monica in SP. I don't mind the shot of her on the bed but she's otherwise as wooden as said shot inspires. Best thing I can say about Lucia is her theme, which is probably the sole highlight of Newman's score.

Somerset wrote:
I need to take it in again for a full assessment. They seemed a lot like SP's titles. I wonder how much the similarities of the last three songs affect the range of Kleinman's ideas? I mean there's some clever visuals as always, a few homages to past title sequences, and the transition into the titles was great. But also a lot that felt samesy.

Thanks! I really don't know what to expect; I've yet to listen to the song so I can't even use that as a source of wonder. I'd say the song would definitely inform the visuals. Look at the pedestrian All Time High and opening credits compared to AVTAK's vibrant and striking song and titles combo.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 5:56 am

Have to say I can't warm to Monica in SP. I don't mind the shot of her on the bed but she's otherwise as wooden as said shot inspires. Best thing I can say about Lucia is her theme, which is probably the sole highlight of Newman's score.

I was so angry opening night when I realized her bit in the film was done. Total waste. I have rewatched SP probably twice fully since then and I am still delighted when she turns up. Mostly that she's even in it. Such a beauty and long overdue. Her performance itself I can take or leave. But the single tear down her cheek is wonderful.

Thanks! I really don't know what to expect; I've yet to listen to the song so I can't even use that as a source of wonder. I'd say the song would definitely inform the visuals. Look at the pedestrian All Time High and opening credits compared to AVTAK's vibrant and striking song and titles combo.

True, I never thought of it like that. Makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 8:57 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Interesting. When NTtD was in the early stages of development, all we heard about was Lashana Lynch and how she was virtually the new Bond. It's beginning to sound like that was errant nonsense. If so, I might be willing to give the flick a go, after all.

Not at all and she is barely a presence in the film so if that's what's holding you back I would go see it. It's this game studios keeping pulling for reasons I don't understand. Make a supposedly controversial move like a black woman 007, get the woke vs anti woke nonsense going back and forth for a year or more only for the person to barely show up in the film.
I felt they sort of screwed her over, if she is going to be an agent esp 007 at least use her a little bit, give her a few memorable lines or a decent action scene and it just doesn't happen.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 8:58 pm

sorry KKBB, I should have worded that better as there is no retcon with the Brofeld angle I meant what they did with the whole Spectre plot

Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 9:00 pm

Somerset wrote:

I was so angry opening night when I realized her bit in the film was done. Total waste. I have rewatched SP probably twice fully since then and I am still delighted when she turns up. Mostly that she's even in it. Such a beauty and long overdue. Her performance itself I can take or leave. But the single tear down her cheek is wonderful.

True, I never thought of it like that. Makes sense.

How much better it all would have been if she was the lead. Monica is lovely.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2021 4:22 am

I tried one of these first impression type videos. No spoilers but it turned into a bit of a ramble as I still try to process the damn thing.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2021 3:27 pm

Excellent job on this Boot. thank you

Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2021 11:47 pm

Not sure if this has been posted, but The Guardian had a thing where Craig answered questions from some famous types, including George Lazenby:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/oct/01/i-eat-greasy-fried-eggs-at-least-once-a-week-daniel-craig-on-bond-being-buff-and-crying-at-british-gas-ads

LAZENBY: Daniel, we both made our 007 debuts in films (unusually for the series) based closely on Ian Fleming’s source novels. What do you think about Fleming’s work and the challenge for an actor of imparting some genuine human feeling and emotion in the material? What do you think of my attempt in On Her Majesty’s Secret Service?

CRAIG: It’s one of the best movies, because it had a love story. And what is life without love? Fleming was very ambiguous about Bond. He hated him sometimes, I think. Barbara [Broccoli, Bond producer] said today that Fleming called him “a shadow”. I kind of lifted from Fleming Bond’s ambiguity, conflict and passions. You could take 1952 passions or you could just transpose them to modern passions. And that’s what I did. There’s no point taking 1952 passions because they don’t exist any more – thankfully, a lot of them. So I thought: he’s a passionate man. He loves, he cares, he’s honourable, he’s incorruptible, and I love that he’s a complex character.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2021 4:31 am

Good to see Laz get his question straight to the top of the queue ahead of duffdawg. Finding more success these days.

I'm not honestly sure I get what Craig is trying to say there in response. I'm not sure I agree that Fleming Bond was a complex character. He had human facets, of course. His Byronic side. But several thinkers have pointed out how the literary Bond was filled in just enough.

Some more Bond-related questions down the list that are interesting. Like this:

Quote :
They gave me a chance to be creatively involved. And to be creatively involved in a Bond movie, I will miss.

Had been some speculation that Barbara loved him too much to let him go entirely and that he'd stick around in a producer capacity. Still wouldn't rule it out completely but he at least appears to address that idea in the negative.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2021 11:15 am

Not sure if Fleming HATED Bond per se, but there was the likes of that time he referred to him as 'a cardboard booby'.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2021 1:05 pm

CJB wrote:

CRAIG: It’s one of the best movies, because it had a love story. And what is life without love?

Well, if that life involves getting to see and revel in FRWL, then it can be pretty damned good.

I get that Craig is trying to put a good spin on things, but by going there with the 'love' thing, he shortchanges OHMSS a lot, because if you didn't have a great Bond adventure story at the heart of it, the love story wouldn't be as strong. The last time I saw it,which was just a couple months back, I found that except for when he swings punches like a girl (esp beach), I didn't have problems with Lazenby at all, which was quite a reversal from how I've been hung up on his 'miss' of a performance for decades. He's not playing James Bond IMO, but I find everything else pretty credible. It's kind of like the Lynch DUNE. I find Kyle M's performance to be a black hole that sucks at all the great talent surrounding it, but I still really like the movie, in spite of many defects. I also think he was terrific on TWIN PEAKS and in other things, but felt he lacked all the charisma necessary to drive the story, and that a lesser actor with more charisma would have been more successful.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews   No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

No Time to Die - Spoiler Free Reviews
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next