More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Moonraker: missing footage

Go down 
+3
trevanian
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
smengy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
smengy

smengy

Moonraker: missing footage Empty
PostSubject: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptyFri Oct 08, 2021 8:26 pm

Hello!  I recently viewed the Blu-ray release of Moonraker.
I seem to remember one scene in the movie that I did not see in this version.
The scene was aboard the space station when it was in zero-g.
Bond grabs a fire extinguisher and uses it to zip across the station.
I remember in the past I had seen two versions of this film on DVD.
One version had the scene,  one did not.
My question is,  am I just having a senior moment,  or does anyone
else remember that?
Also,  what release, DVD, Laserdisc, etc had that scene, footage in it?
I noticed that in some other forum,  the films have undergone 3 seperate
ownerships, licensing, etc and changes were made.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 3:22 am

Sounds as though you, aided by a few martinis, watched Moonraker and Die Another Day back-to-back, dreamt about it, fusing moments from both films together. I imagine the extinguisher moment was actually an oxygen tank which Bond uses in DAD to blast a hole in a wall at the Cuban clinic.

Nonetheless, welcome. Anyone focusing on MR over NTTD can't be all bad. colgate
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 3:47 am

As long as we're on the subject of MR, has any footage surfaced of the deleted scene on the station with the zero gee sex orgy room? FUTURE or FUTURE LIFE magazine printed a still of the set (mostly white with a black ball in the middle as I recall) with Chiles and Moore on it, and Wood's novelization has a brief scene in it (with some of Wood's most Fleming-like writing, like when the nude girl smiles at Bond and for a moment he forgets about his hard life as a killer -- it's pretty poetic stuff), but I'm guessing it got dropped because the wires showed or it slowed things down even further.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 11:38 am

It's news to me that this scene ever existed. Might've got snipped because it was a little much for a movie aiming for PG certification?
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 2:41 pm

I'll see if I can find the still someplace, FUTURE was a sister mag to STARLOG and I know that all of those issues are archived someplce. The still I recall didn't have any nudity, it was kind of an extension of what was going on when they turned on the camera in the shuttle and saw folks kissing.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 7:11 pm

I had no idea this existed either (thanks trevanian!) but I found the still:

Moonraker: missing footage LOJVd2s

Caption says: "In a scene deleted from the finished film, Bond and Holly Goodhead explore the light gravity chamber where Drax's master space race engages in close encounters of every possible kind."

You mentioned it was a sister mag to Starlog, and I knew archive.org had Starlog available so I figured they'd have this one too.

Here's the link to the full magazine:

https://archive.org/details/StarlogFutureLifeMagazine17/Starlog%20Future%20Life%20Magazine%20%2812%29/page/n19/mode/2up
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 7:16 pm

Somerset wrote:

Caption says: "In a scene deleted from the finished film, Bond and Holly Goodhead explore the light gravity chamber where Drax's master space race engages in close encounters of every possible kind."

You mentioned it was a sister mag to Starlog, and I knew archive.org had Starlog available so I figured they'd have this one too.

https://archive.org/details/StarlogFutureLifeMagazine17/Starlog%20Future%20Life%20Magazine%20%2812%29/page/n19/mode/2up

Thanks. Man, I could have made a whole movie in this set they just threw away (That thing on the left reminds me of some scope-thing from the original THINGS TO COME.) Then again, they only spend about 2min in the Mondrovian launch chamber, so that seemed wasterful too.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 9:15 pm

that second image and caption puts me in mind of the Love Shop in Logan's Run.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 11:26 am

Somerset wrote:

Seem to recall that first still in the Moonraker annual I had when I was a youngster.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 8:30 pm

Now there's something we don't get for new Bond films nowadays, or for a while, annuals.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptyTue Oct 12, 2021 4:27 am

Omigod THEY SHOT THAT?!?!?!? WHOA!!!!!
Zorin voice : "WE MUST FIND IT!"

I can't believe it. That was a real eye opener in the novelization and a passage I had to immediately reread to make sure I wasn't dreaming it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptyFri Oct 15, 2021 1:37 pm

Surely there are deleted scenes in the vaults somewhere. Loving the blonde bird in the background, meditating.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptyMon Oct 18, 2021 3:07 am

I know there's got to be tons of stuff alluded to, documented in other areas or rumored to exist that has to. Already I've found evidence of several films having alternate magnetic stereo runs so the EON vaults are probably jam packed with things never gone through.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptyMon Oct 18, 2021 11:29 am

Again I'm reminded of Wood's novelisation of TSWLM having Bond being tortured via electrodes attached to his balls, a scene which sounds like it might've been jarring to say the least if it had been in the movie.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptyMon Oct 18, 2021 1:19 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Again I'm reminded of Wood's novelisation of TSWLM having Bond being tortured via electrodes attached to his balls, a scene which sounds like it might've been jarring to say the least if it had been in the movie.  

But it might have 'resonated' with that bit of nutso happening later on when Stromberg takes four shots from Bond, starting with two in the crotch. Still have no idea why that scene goes on with so many rounds being fired, it seemed like a strange veer into 70s revenge stuff. Also, the way it is cut, so you don't really see Roger as he actually fires, feels very 'off.'

I've grown (or settled) into semi-understanding why so many Bond fans love that movie, because there's a lot going on that is superficially enjoyable, but it still plays more like a pastiche to me than a real Bond movie. Maybe I didn't think it was really Bond and Beyond, but more like Bond and More (moore being less.)
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptyTue Oct 19, 2021 7:47 am

Yeah. It's just that with Spy being Moore's first proper foray into 'hollowed-out volcano' OTT Bond, I reckon such a gnarly torture scene would sit awkwardly (much like Bond himself for a while afterwards) within it.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptyTue Oct 19, 2021 1:11 pm

Reading your post made me think of another unused Fleming line that really should have been trotted out post-CR during the Craig era, that exchange where Tiger Tanaka is talking about the Sumo trick with the retractable landing gear testicles and how spies are susceptible to torture in that area of the body and then Bond says something like, "Don't I know it!" with feeling.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptyTue Oct 19, 2021 2:04 pm

Yeah ... seeing as the
Spoiler:
from YOLT are already in NTTD, some more from it might as well be in there.

Last edited by Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang on Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spoiler Tags)
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage EmptySun Oct 31, 2021 11:22 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Yeah ... seeing as the
Spoiler:
from YOLT are already in NTTD, some more from it might as well be in there.

Let's not forget those spoiler tags. I want to save my disappointment for the theatre.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker: missing footage   Moonraker: missing footage Empty

Back to top Go down

Moonraker: missing footage
Page 1 of 1