More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Maeve Horton
'R'
'R'
Maeve Horton

The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator Empty
PostSubject: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyWed Nov 01, 2023 4:02 pm

This is something I have noticed since the prophetic year of 2020 and the advent of the Covid-19 pandemic in particular. It has continued unabated into 2023 and will no doubt most likely stretch out until the crack of doom given the ever increasing information technology revolution that is still ongoing. To sum it up in a simple phrase, it would be "Everyone's an expert nowadays." The democratisation of the rollout of the internet worldwide, the advent of smartphones we can hold in the palm of our hands and the dissemination of information via the relatively new phenomenon of social media have all combined top create a perfect storm of misinformation, "expert" opinion, wildcat conspiracy theories, AI fakery etc. I know that the Internet is largely still governed by the law of the jungle and that despite new legislation like the Online Safety Act 2023 in the UK and the existing defamation laws there is still a problem with anonymous people sharing disinformation, propaganda and the purest libel worldwide. It's very difficult for individual sties, social media companies etc. to govern and police everything that is posted, shared and uploaded to the internet, to say nothing of the nefarious activities on the Dark Web. I think we have arrived in this unenvious position of the writ of the internet run wild due to the democratising effects of internet accessibility even in the farthest corners of the globe.  The internet is a great Leveller and that can be both a blessing and a curse. There are pros and cons, just like anything else.

In the UK context the Iraq War of 2003, the Great Recession of 2007-2009, the MPs' Expenses Scandal of 2009, Brexit, the Covid-19 pandemic, Partygate, the rise of ring-wing populism and 40-year-high inflation and a cost of living crisis have no doubt all played a part in stripping away respect and faith in politicians, institutions, the monarchy, the Establishment and elites, the world of finance, medicine and so on. It's all part of a slow drift in society from perhaps the time of the Profumo Scandal in 1963 onwards that has seen as increasingly dangerous cynicism and world-weariness with authority figures and the mainstream media which is increasingly viewed as their puppet and official mouthpiece a la Joseph Goebbels' control of the press in Nazi Germany. Did the rot of public distrust in the UK Government perhaps even set in earlier than that during the Suez Crisis of 1956? In 2023 in the UK, as one recent example, the mass speculation about the disappearance of the tragic Nicola Bulley and all the various true crime documentary inspired theories about her "murder", "kidnap" and other unfounded and malicious rumours perfectly illustrates where we are nowadays in terms of the democratisation of news delivery. We have seen a shift away from traditional formerly trusted media sources like the BBC or ITV and a move towards TikTok etc. and influencers and commentators on social media, particularly amongst the young. You could say that Dr Google and his ilk cures all ills or at least "he" gives that false impression...

So what do we think of these musings of mine? Do you agreed, disagree or are you indifferent to the seemingly inevitable decline towards a lowest common denominator form of the internet?

The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator FMWCCPKVgAE27zG

Last edited by Maeve Horton on Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:23 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com/
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyWed Nov 01, 2023 5:04 pm

The global crackdown on freedom of speech is not due to lies being spread all around, which is no doubt a fact. It is due to people being able to find accurate information about various topics, if they only look for it. Cannot have any of that.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyFri Nov 03, 2023 1:11 am

I saw a headline in the last few days indicating 'influencer' is one of the most lusted-after job-roles for young folks. This is scary shit, man, I don't recall anybody in my high school who wanted to grow up to be a lobbyist, that's for sure, and yet this seems to be the digital equivalent, shoveling virtual bullshit as a shill for the highest bidder.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyFri Nov 03, 2023 7:19 am

The other day, Musk told a conference on AI that human-mimicking AI 'friends' might be a more attractive proposition than real ones.

Bleak.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyFri Nov 03, 2023 4:40 pm

Phantom Commander wrote:
The global crackdown on freedom of speech is not due to lies being spread all around, which is no doubt a fact. It is due to people being able to find accurate information about various topics, if they only look for it. Cannot have any of that.

Precisely. I'm not remotely concerned with some anonymous schlub spreading propaganda and misinformation. I am terribly concerned with governments in the West performing that very act and censoring truths spoken by the great unwashed.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyFri Nov 03, 2023 4:41 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
The other day, Musk told a conference on AI that human-mimicking AI 'friends' might be a more attractive proposition than real ones.

Bleak.  

A grim take on the human race. And not an altogether inaccurate one, mind you.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyFri Nov 03, 2023 6:50 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:

Precisely. I'm not remotely concerned with some anonymous schlub spreading propaganda and misinformation. I am terribly concerned with governments in the West performing that very act and censoring truths spoken by the great unwashed.
Right? Assange has been rotting in jail for years. Truth was his crime.
Back to top Go down
Maeve Horton
'R'
'R'
Maeve Horton

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptySat Nov 04, 2023 10:08 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:

Bleak.  

It's a Brave New World. AI will soon be the new "expert" commentator:

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptySun Nov 05, 2023 11:13 am

Yep, that's the very one. Oh, how they chuckled.
Back to top Go down
Maeve Horton
'R'
'R'
Maeve Horton

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptySun Nov 05, 2023 11:39 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Yep, that's the very one. Oh, how they chuckled.

Yes, if they underestimate the potential power of unchecked AI they could be laughing on the other side of their face soon.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptySun Nov 05, 2023 3:34 pm

Just like the media, AI will be nothing more than an amplifier for the ideology of the Power Structure. It will be purged of all heterodoxy and heresy.
Back to top Go down
Maeve Horton
'R'
'R'
Maeve Horton

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyTue Nov 21, 2023 10:36 pm

As referenced in the OP, the Nicola Bulley case earlier this year and the "TikTok frenzy" that ensued from it helped to crystallise some of my thoughts on the evolution of the internet in this modern day and age. Both it and the Covid-19 pandemic that preceded it really saw the rise of the internet/armchair "expert" who more often than not rushed in where angels would've feared to tread:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-67475416
Back to top Go down
Maeve Horton
'R'
'R'
Maeve Horton

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyMon Jan 29, 2024 1:00 pm

Here is just one example of the dangerous kind of clickbait posing as a real BBC News web link that comes up when I sign out of my Outlook email account. The discerning will see that it's not a BBC News link at all but it's designed to look like one and is a cynical attempt, right down to the presumably fake comments section, to get people to try to invest their money in a scam website:

https://janshareb.com/swggy.php?camp_id=71165&clickid=00969cc44c934a4eb2a9b418a45845f0&creative_id=1022711569&eng_click=00969cc44c934a4eb2a9b418a45845f0&eng_source=241060&eng_subid=null&key=0k0yc1lsx8vzi3w1xy6y&pixel=237700&website=241060&widget=241060
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyMon Jan 29, 2024 4:37 pm

Maeve Horton wrote:
Here is just one example of the dangerous kind of clickbait posing as a real BBC News web link that comes up when I sign out of my Outlook email account. The discerning will see that it's not a BBC News link at all but it's designed to look like one and is a cynical attempt, right down to the presumably fake comments section, to get people to try to invest their money in a scam website:

https://janshareb.com/swggy.php?camp_id=71165&clickid=00969cc44c934a4eb2a9b418a45845f0&creative_id=1022711569&eng_click=00969cc44c934a4eb2a9b418a45845f0&eng_source=241060&eng_subid=null&key=0k0yc1lsx8vzi3w1xy6y&pixel=237700&website=241060&widget=241060
Awesome. How much do you need, Maeve?
Back to top Go down
Maeve Horton
'R'
'R'
Maeve Horton

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyMon Jan 29, 2024 7:29 pm

Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:

Just £2000 to start with. That really is all you need. You can wire the money directly to me. I've also been instructed to take as many personal details as possible from you. Don't worry, it's all above board and you'll be a multi-billionaire by the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyTue Jan 30, 2024 3:39 am

Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:

Just £2000 to start with. That really is all you need. You can wire the money directly to me. I've also been instructed to take as many personal details as possible from you. Don't worry, it's all above board and you'll be a multi-billionaire by the weekend.
Can you just fix it for me? My credit card number is 6744 6433 1119 9749, expires 01.35 and cv number is 790. Be sure not to share it with just anyone.
Back to top Go down
Maeve Horton
'R'
'R'
Maeve Horton

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 9:29 am

Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:

Can you just fix it for me? My credit card number is 6744 6433 1119 9749, expires 01.35 and cv number is 790. Be sure not to share it with just anyone.

Yes, that's fine. It's totally safe to share it here as I'm sure no one will see it. I'll wire you your £5 million Ugandan Lottery winnings directly now but please note that it is normal for it to take a few days to clear in your account.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:21 pm

Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:

Yes, that's fine. It's totally safe to share it here as I'm sure no one will see it. I'll wire you your £5 million Ugandan Lottery winnings directly now but please note that it is normal for it to take a few days to clear in your account.
That is great, thanks a million! Just quit my job now.
And you are probably right that no one will see it here.
Back to top Go down
Maeve Horton
'R'
'R'
Maeve Horton

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:37 pm

Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:

Don't mention it. I've also got the Eiffel Tower for sale if you'd be interested in buying it? I've put together a really good deal.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 4:02 pm

Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:

Don't mention it. I've also got the Eiffel Tower for sale if you'd be interested in buying it? I've put together a really good deal.
Always wanted that tower, and now I can afford it. Where do I sign? Y U NO
Back to top Go down
Maeve Horton
'R'
'R'
Maeve Horton

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 4:15 pm

Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:

Just sign a blank cheque and I'll do the rest. You'll then be the proud owner of a national landmark. Sadly you won't be able to get an export permit to Norway though.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 4:24 pm

Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:

Just sign a blank cheque and I'll do the rest. You'll then be the proud owner of a national landmark. Sadly you won't be able to get an export permit to Norway though.
I am sure I can get one on the dark web.
Back to top Go down
Maeve Horton
'R'
'R'
Maeve Horton

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 4:28 pm

Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:
Maeve Horton wrote:

Yeah, they're got everything on there. Even spares of the Eiffel Tower.

I am sure I can get one on the dark web.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator   The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator Empty

Back to top Go down

The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator
Page 1 of 1