More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages Empty
PostSubject: Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages   Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 5:51 pm

Quote :
Bond producer Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages

Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages _53425616_broccoli2_bodygetty

Bond producer Barbara Broccoli has accepted undisclosed libel damages from newspapers that suggested she used her position to fund a charity she chaired.

Last August, the Mail papers claimed Broccoli, as a board member of the UK Film Council, had improperly awarded the First Light charity a grant.

On Wednesday the High Court was told the articles were "deeply upsetting" and had been harmful to her reputation.

Broccoli took over the Bond franchise from her late father Albert "Cubby".

She and her stepbrother, Michael G Wilson, are currently working on the 23rd official James Bond film, due out in the UK in October 2012.

Founded in 2001, First Light provides funding and expertise to enable five to 19-year olds in the UK to create digital short films.

The organisation received £1.1m of National Lottery funding each year from the now-defunct UK Film Council.

Broccoli, who has been chair of First Light's board of directors since its inception, was appointed to the Film Council's board in August 2008.

According to articles in the Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday, the 50-year-old used her latter role to award herself or her company a sum of public money.

Her solicitor, Michael Skrein, said their publisher, Associated Newspapers, had now accepted that she "did not award herself or her own company any grant [and had] not misused any public funds".

He said that Broccoli accepted neither remuneration nor expenses from First Light and donated to it herself.

In a statement, Broccoli said it had been "very important" for her to get a correction and a published apology and that the damages would be passed to First Light.

"I am very committed to my work with the charity... and am delighted that all of these damages will assist in funding film-making projects for kids from all backgrounds across the country," she said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13777239

What should it be folks? Hanging, drowning or being forced to watch her own films?
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages   Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Well thank God kids from "all backgrounds" will benefit!

Taka a bow, Babs, and we'll all give you a round of applause.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages   Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 11:48 pm

Quote :
On Wednesday the High Court was told the articles were "deeply upsetting" and
had been harmful to her reputation.

What reputation? :scratch: "Dan, would you suck on my fingers please? I'm deeply upset."
Back to top Go down
Prince Kamal Khan
Q Branch
Q Branch
Prince Kamal Khan

PostSubject: Re: Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages   Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 4:43 am

tiffanywint wrote:
Quote :
On Wednesday the High Court was told the articles were "deeply upsetting" and
had been harmful to her reputation.

What reputation? :scratch: "Dan, would you suck on my fingers please? I'm deeply upset."

LOL! Good one, timmer! laugh
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages   Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 5:45 am

Hey, when someone lobs you a softball, you gotta swing the bat. laugh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages   Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages Empty

Back to top Go down

Barbara Broccoli accepts libel damages
Page 1 of 1