More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread

Go down 
+16
Lazenby.
dr. strangelove
Largo's Shark
Chief of SIS
tiffanywint
Santa
Perilagu Khan
MBalje
AMC Hornet
bitchcraft
CJB
Loomis
Harmsway
Tubes
Makeshift Python
Gravity's Silhouette
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Die Another Day - With time will its reputation improve?
Yes. Like other films, it will eventually gain an appreciative cult status.
DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 24% [ 7 ]
No, it doesn't need to because its reputation is already fine as far as I'm concerned
DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap48%DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 48% [ 14 ]
No, because the bad reputation is revisionist history. Some forget that audiences loved it and it was a big hit.
DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap28%DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 28% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 29

AuthorMessage
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 3:19 am

Loomis wrote:
I think what I love most about DIE ANOTHER DAY is what I'd call its "everything but the kitchen sink"ness. Is the film messy? Yes. Do certain elements not work? Yes. But it strikes me that Eon was really trying to give audiences as much bang for their buck as possible with this one, throwing in virtually every single possible element that anyone had ever enjoyed about Bond. It's a feast of Bond, a total all-you-can-eat blowout.
Kind of like HomeTown Buffet.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: a   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Makeshift Python wrote:
Loomis wrote:
I think what I love most about DIE ANOTHER DAY is what I'd call its "everything but the kitchen sink"ness. Is the film messy? Yes. Do certain elements not work? Yes. But it strikes me that Eon was really trying to give audiences as much bang for their buck as possible with this one, throwing in virtually every single possible element that anyone had ever enjoyed about Bond. It's a feast of Bond, a total all-you-can-eat blowout.
Kind of like HomeTown Buffet.

More like two 3 a.m. patty melts at Denny's after stumbling out of some dive in Newark likkerd up on cheap gin and grape Malt Duck.

:)
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Yep. It´s not a good feeling.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 5:02 pm

Well, sue me, but occasionally I like to munch at McDonalds. Life ain't just about savouring at Sardi's, y'know.

P.S. Denny's rules. One of my favourite things about America. We don't have any branches over here, sadly.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 5:19 pm

Best part of the film is the ice flow car chase/duel. Bothgreat looking cars get a good workout. All the bells and whistles and tricked out gear gets showcased. Very Bondian with creative use of the assorted mobile weaponry.
The battle is well shot. It looks great in hi-def and is brought to a satisfying conclusion at the collapsing ice palace.

Bond's adventures in Cuba are well done. (the torturous Bond/Jinx dialoge at beach bar aside)
I've never cared for locking Bond up for 14 months in a dreary prison camp. How common. This is Bond for crying out loud. It's escapist adventure. He should have escaped. This was Eon's hamfisted attempt at gravitas or faux reality. No thanks. And this is in the same film that features an invisible car, which I did quite like. I even have my own replica toy model version. An impulse buy, one day at at a hobby store. Looks damn good on the mantle though.
Did not appreciate the dreary Madge title track and disliked her screen appearance even more. Hideous woman and awful actress. A terrible performance, brief as it was. Forced andterribly self-conscious. She made no attempt to find the character, but she's Madge. Such effort would be beneath her, not to mention beyond her "talents". The Madonna persona shall prevail.
DAD is an enjoyable Bond romp but its faults do drag it down some. I much prefer it's more escapist Bondian vibe though to the two Dench/Craig soap operas that have followed.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 5:37 pm

tiffanywint wrote:
I've never cared for locking Bond up for 14 months in a dreary prison camp. How common. This is Bond for crying out loud. It's escapist adventure. He should have escaped. [snip] DAD is an enjoyable Bond romp but its faults do drag it down some. I much prefer it's more escapist Bondian vibe though to the two Dench/Craig soap operas that have followed.

That's the main failing of Goldfingered too; an impotent Bond locked up by Auric and working as a secretary. I hope he got a regular buggering.

Agree that DAD is vastly preferable to CR and QoS. To hell with gritty Bond. Leave the hand-wringing to the humourless left.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 5:59 pm

tiffanywint wrote:

Did not appreciate the dreary Madge title track and disliked her screen appearance even more. Hideous woman and awful actress. A terrible performance, brief as it was. Forced andterribly self-conscious. She made no attempt to find the character, but she's Madge. Such effort would be beneath her, not to mention beyond her "talents". The Madonna persona shall prevail.

I'll defend Madonna in this instance and say her performance did not detract from the movie at all; it didn't enhance it either, but I think in Madonna's case if you can get her to not screw up the movie with her acting you've accomplished something major. Curiously, with a woman that is as talented as I think she is, it's somewhat remarkable that she has no screen presence at all and just cannot act her way out of a wet paper bag. She was modestly okay in DICK TRACY, and was tolerable for 2 minutes in DAD, but that's it. Her performance in WHO'S THAT GIRL still is one of the worst performances by an "actress" in a leading role I have ever seen; I actually remember laughing throughout the entire film BODY OF EVIDENCE.
Back to top Go down
Chief of SIS
'R'
'R'
Chief of SIS

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 6:12 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Avarice wrote:

The women are generally weak in DAD. For all the adolescent love of PIke she was an inexperienced actress back then and looked it. In complete contrast, this is Brosnan's most relaxed performance as Bond.

Sorry. I just don't see it. Berry's performance was flat at different times, other times it was feisty; but she was never as bad as Tanya Roberts. And as much as I loved Halle Berry at the time, she was completely overshadowed by Rosamund Pike who showed no signs of being a rookie actress. She was brilliant. Bloody brilliant.

I'd have to say all the performances were eclipsed by madonna's breathe-taking acting caliber.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 7:26 pm

Loomis wrote:
Well, sue me, but occasionally I like to munch at McDonalds.
So do I (particularly chicken nuggets with BBQ sauce and their milkshakes, which we can't get over here) but (continuing the DAD/food metaphor) I don't like to follow it up with cheesecake, half a pint of Haagen-Dazs and 10 cocktails all in one meal, which I think is DAD as you are defining it. However, while I find it very hard to say anything good about DAD, this is an appreciation thread so I can say I thought Rosamund Pike was a high point. She was the cheesecake section of the meal, if you like.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Santa wrote:
Loomis wrote:
So do I (particularly chicken nuggets with BBQ sauce and their milkshakes, which we can't get over here)

Snap. I always go for Chicken McNuggets with BBQ sauce. Never had their milkshakes, though, although I'm told they're amazing.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Loomis wrote:
Santa wrote:
Loomis wrote:
So do I (particularly chicken nuggets with BBQ sauce and their milkshakes, which we can't get over here)

Snap. I always go for Chicken McNuggets with BBQ sauce. Never had their milkshakes, though, although I'm told they're amazing.
They really are, you must try one. I head straight for them when I visit England. Although I once got one that was so thick I did have to eat it with a spoon. I used to like those apple pie things they did too but they are apparently discontinued. Gutted.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 8:05 pm

If we're talking about fast food restaurants, Wendy's has McDonald's beat. No question.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 8:06 pm

I'm kinda partial to Subway myself. That said, we don't have much choice here.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Harmsway wrote:
If we're talking about fast food restaurants, Wendy's has McDonald's beat. No question.
I remember loving a bit of Wendy's. We don't have them here in Spain and I'm pretty sure England still doesn't have them, although I'm sure I remember hearing Wendy's were planning to open there.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Sharky wrote:
I'm kinda partial to Subway myself. That said, we don't have much choice here.
Oh yes, I love a bit of Subway too.

Shit, I sound like some kind of junk food junkie but I'm really not.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Wendy's just added "sea salt" french fries to their menu. Glorious, artery-clogging stuff.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 8:20 pm

None of that beats a packet of greasy, vinegar soaked fish 'n' chips, with Heinz ketchup. Bog standard but still first class.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 8:26 pm

Sharky wrote:
None of that beats a packet of greasy, vinegar soaked fish 'n' chips, with Heinz ketchup. Bog standard but still first class.
No no no, with mayonnaise!

My mouth is watering.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 8:52 pm

If you find yourself in Texas you need to find yourself a Whataburger and order a double-meat Whataburger with bacon and cheese, a medium order of fries and a chocolate malt. You might not ever leave the state.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: q   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Sharky wrote:

I could go for that, provided that the fish is not cod.

Incidentally, I'm frying up some fish and chips Indian style tonight. The batter is made from chickpea flour, and has cilantro, garlic and cayenne pepper in it. Jolly good stuff wot, with both malt vinegar and spicy mango pickle.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 11:14 pm

Santa wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
I remember loving a bit of Wendy's. We don't have them here in Spain and I'm pretty sure England still doesn't have them, although I'm sure I remember hearing Wendy's were planning to open there.

I'm pretty sure we used to have Wendy's, as I seem to remember them from my childhood, but I think they fell by the wayside over here years ago.

I really wish we had Denny's. And Taco Bell. England really is a backwater when it comes to fast food.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 11:15 pm

You don't want Taco Bell.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 11:16 pm

No? I assure you I like me my tacos.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 11:18 pm

I like 'em too. A lot.

But Taco Bell does eeeeeevil things to a digestive system.

You'd be better off with a Qdoba.
Back to top Go down
dr. strangelove
'R'
'R'
dr. strangelove

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 12:23 am

I had Taco Bell for lunch today, actually.

As I was sitting there eating, I felt guilty and disappointed in myself for eating it. It's probably some of the worst quality fast food out there. Probably even worse than McDonalds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread   DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

DIE ANOTHER DAY - Appreciation thread
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next