More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Bond and Beyond Book Club

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Bond and Beyond Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:23 pm

Okay folks, this is where we'll talk about each chosen book, while reading it.

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 5:13 pm

I just ordered it, looks like serious stuff.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 11:57 pm

I can't wait to dig back into this book.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 1:10 pm

Count me in when and if the copy I ordered arrives - it seems to be taking forever.

What are the rules of this thread? Presumably we should use spoiler tags quite a bit, given that we'll all be at various different stages of the book. Then again, maybe none of us should even be discussing LANCELOT at all until we've fully read the thing?

ETA: Okay, I've now received my copy and plan to start reading it later today.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Loomis wrote:
What are the rules of this thread? Presumably we should use spoiler tags quite a bit, given that we'll all be at various different stages of the book. Then again, maybe none of us should even be discussing LANCELOT at all until we've fully read the thing?
Yeah, how do we want this to work, Sharky?

Loomis wrote:
ETA: Okay, I've now received my copy and plan to start reading it later today.
:)
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 4:25 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Loomis wrote:

I've never been big on spoiler tags, to be honest. Childish invention. I think we'll just read and comment as we go along. Listing what chapter we're at, of course.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Am only in the mid of chapter 2. Reads a bit like a Stephen King setup, the protagonist a massive suppression case, on the other hand he's alluding to terrible events in the past and I'm not sure how much he really doesn't remember. One fine piece:

"The only way I could stand my life in Louisiana, where I had everything, was to read about crummy lonesome Los Angeles in the 1930's. Maybe that should have told me something. If I was happy, it was an odd sort of happiness."

Like it so far.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 12:20 pm

I've cracked open my copy. But since this stroll through LANCELOT is a return visit for me, I wonder if I should hold off on my thoughts until at least a few of you folks have finished. Don't want to get ahead of anyone.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 1:38 pm

Come on Ambler. Join the club.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 1:41 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed May 22, 2019 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 1:49 pm

Avarice wrote:
I've never read it.

You can now. You've got 3 months and counting.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 1:52 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed May 22, 2019 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 2:08 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Sharky wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
Loomis wrote:

I've never been big on spoiler tags, to be honest. Childish invention. I think we'll just read and comment as we go along. Listing what chapter we're at, of course.

I don't see anything particularly childish about spoiler tags, and they've saved a number of films from being, well, spoiled for me when reading about them on forums. That said, I think we should all hold off on discussing LANCELOT till we've finished it. After all, no one reviews a film after seeing only ten minutes or half an hour of it (well, I guess they do, but they shouldn't ;) ).
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 3:25 pm

Avarice wrote:
I seem to remember suggesting An American Dream by Mailer or Platform by Michel Houellebecq got me booted out of the last book club I joined. One or the other.

I loved Houellebecq's EXTENSION DU DOMAINE DE LA LUTTE and LES PARTICULES ELEMENTARIES - thought the film version of the former (entitled WHATEVER over here, as I recall) was great, even though it opts for a more "Hollywood" ending than the book's and makes the protagonist a much older man, while the movie adaptation of the latter (forget the title but it stars Moritz Bleibtreu and Franka Potente) was a damp squib.

PLATFORM I quite liked but wouldn't class it alongside those two other books.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 4:12 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed May 22, 2019 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 4:37 pm

Yes, please, hold off on anything that could be termed a spoiler for a while.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 4:39 pm

Alright, if you're hellbent on spoilers - use spoiler tags:

["spoiler"][/"spoiler"]

Without the quotation marks.
Back to top Go down
Chief of SIS
'R'
'R'
Chief of SIS

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks Sharky.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 2:51 am

I've finished my reread of LANCELOT. I worried that LANCELOT wouldn't be as compelling as I remembered. I was pleased that LANCELOT remained a very powerful work, at least for me, and I am glad I nominated it.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 11:22 pm

Almost finished reading it.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 12:25 am

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed May 22, 2019 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 9:37 am

I get home with my copy on Wednesday, I'll start it then.
Back to top Go down
Chief of SIS
'R'
'R'
Chief of SIS

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 11:48 pm

Starting it. School is getting in the way. Good to hear it's just as good as you recalled Harms.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club   Bond and Beyond Book Club Empty

Back to top Go down

Bond and Beyond Book Club
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next