More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations

Go down 
+6
Loomis
Harmsway
Gravity's Silhouette
Santa
Fae
Largo's Shark
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Which one of these books do you nominate for the BAB Book Club?
STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND by Robert A. Heinlein
Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations Vote_lcap0%Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
ENGLEBY by Sebastian Faulks
Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations Vote_lcap100%Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations Vote_rcap
 100% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 1

AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations Empty
PostSubject: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 1:10 pm

This is something I've seen work on other forums, and I think it'd be a good idea to give it a try here. Since we've evidently got a well-read community, I figured a book club would be the next logical step.

In this thread we'll suggest some titles, either fiction or non-fiction. Then after a week I'll start up a poll in this thread. The book with the most votes will be selected. After 3 months, the next novel will be chosen.

I'll create another thread for the discussion.

That sound alright?

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:14 am; edited 11 times in total
Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 11:26 pm

Frankenstein

this is all.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 11:32 pm

Fae wrote:
Frankenstein

this is all.
Seconded. Fecking fantastic book.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am

Sounds good.

My suggestions:
Storming Intrepid by Payne Harrison
Vertical Run by Joseph Garber
Icefire by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens
Alienist, The by Caleb Carr
Moonfall by Jack McDevitt
Weapons of Choice by John Birmingham
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The by Stieg Larsson
Prestige, The by Christopher Priest
Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn

All of these are 5-star books
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 1:30 am

LANCELOT by Walker Percy.

Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations Lancelot

The story of dejected lawyer Lancelot Lamar, whose quest to comprehend what ails the American psyche leads to dark, surprising places. To say much more would ruin the story, which unfolds as a mystery, leading to one of the most striking conclusions I've ever encountered in a novel. LANCELOT is both entertaining and insightful, and wonderful fodder for discussion (it's sure to evoke strong reactions, which it certainly did during its original release in 1977). I've been itching to re-read it for quite some time.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 2:33 am

I'll really have to give this Percy geezer a whirl at some stage, Harms. You've raved about him quite a bit. Hadn't even heard of him till you started championing him.
Back to top Go down
lalala2004
'R'
'R'
lalala2004

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 4:56 am

Santa wrote:
Fae wrote:
Frankenstein

this is all.
Seconded. Fecking fantastic book.

Wouldn't mind rereading that one, especially since it's short....

Afraid that's all I have time for, these days. 😢
Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:26 am

Three for Frankenstein ... awesome :)

I'll reread it anyway but it would be cool if we could read it together.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 12:50 pm

I've spent about all the time with FRANKENSTEIN I care to, actually. It's a fascinating book, but after all the research I did on FRANKENSTEIN during my undergrad years, I'm FRANKENSTEIN-ed out.

I'd find it much more appealing if this book club tended towards books that the vast majority of us would be reading for the first time, rather than the Old Classics (unless it turns out these are Old Classics that very few of us have actually read through, ala NOSTROMO, which I've been meaning to read for a while now but never have never bothered to do so).
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 12:56 pm

Loomis wrote:
I'll really have to give this Percy geezer a whirl at some stage, Harms. You've raved about him quite a bit. Hadn't even heard of him till you started championing him.
His THE MOVIEGOER is the work that the critical world seems to recognize as a canonical entry in 20th century American fiction, though it's not my favorite of his works. Percy has a great feel for the tensions that exist in contemporary American society, and it is his ideas, as well as his sense of humor, that endear him to me.

LANCELOT is actually a bit of an atypical work for Percy, a darker spin on themes he generally tends to handle with a lighter touch in his other novels. Nevertheless, it makes good "book club" fodder, since LANCELOT remains somewhat controversial, sure to provoke some strong discussion, but it's also fairly readable. I could see many folks here getting a kick out of it.

Last edited by Harmsway on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 1:32 pm

I´d read it.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Poll added. If anyone has any more suggestions, I'll include them.
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 6:50 pm

I agree with harmsway that we should generally stick to books that very few of us have read, and he's certainly sold me on Lancelot.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 7:49 pm

Sharky wrote:
Poll added. If anyone has any more suggestions, I'll include them.

Transfer of Power by ***VINCE**** Flynn, not Chris Flynn.

I think we should also have a bit of time to describe each book before closing the poll so that people know what they're not voting for if they don't choose one of the nominees.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
I think we should also have a bit of time to describe each book before closing the poll so that people know what they're not voting for if they don't choose one of the nominees.

I think it should be up the nominator to make a case for each book. Harms sold LANCELOT pretty well, I think.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Anybody care to read The Stars' Tennis Balls, Heart of Darkness or Any Human Heart? I was recommended all three but didn't get around to read them, would be a chance to change this.

Heart of Darkness: a classic by Joseph Conrad, the young Captain Marlow searching for the mysterious ivory dealer Kurtz in the dark unknown jungles of Africa.

Any Human Heart: fictitious biography of Logan Mountstuart, writer, spy, art dealer and witness of the 20th century. By William Boyd

The Stars Tennis Balls: modern take on the Count of Monte Cristo by Stephen Fry

Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Sharky wrote:

I think it should be up the nominator to make a case for each book. Harms sold LANCELOT pretty well, I think.

No problem. I think I can make an excellent case for some of these novels. How many days will the poll run?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Sharky wrote:

No problem. I think I can make an excellent case for some of these novels. How many days will the poll run?

I've set it for a week from today. The winner will then stay for the next few 3 months.

I know Ambler/Avarice will be interested. He can pick LANCELOT up when he returns from the states in two weeks time.
Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:43 pm

Harmsway wrote:
I've spent about all the time with FRANKENSTEIN I care to, actually. It's a fascinating book, but after all the research I did on FRANKENSTEIN during my undergrad years, I'm FRANKENSTEIN-ed out. .
See my purposes are mildly selfish as I'm intending to do Frankenstein on my Literature exam hence my desire for it to be the book - kills two birds with one stone ... in my case. laugh Anyway I'll need to reread it and add annontatations.

Still ... if I ever had anything I wanted to talk in general about Frankenstein, Harms - would it be okay if I PM'ed you? I may not but if I ever felt the need ...
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:44 pm

Fae wrote:
Still ... if I ever had anything I wanted to talk in general about Frankenstein, Harms - would it be okay if I PM'ed you? I may not but if I ever felt the need ...
Absolutely. :)
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 7:14 am

Surprised nobody's mentioned Khan's book. Choosing his book would drum up some more sales for one of our finest, whilst also I'm sure providing an excellent read.

?

Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Well, I've ordered a copy of LANCELOT and am looking forward to reading it regardless of whether it's chosen for this book club.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Loomis wrote:
Well, I've ordered a copy of LANCELOT and am looking forward to reading it regardless of whether it's chosen for this book club.
Same here. It made sense as I shall be in London in a couple of weeks and have added it to the mountain of books awaiting me there already rather than ship it to Spain later on - so if it's likely to be another book can we choose it quick so I can bring that back with me too! I've never done a book club before, quite looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Well, if nothing else I bet Walker Percy hasn't had such a rush of sales in decades! :D
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 11:25 pm

I'm sure the estate of Walker Percy will be pleased. :)

As for me, I'm tickled pink that you guys are picking up LANCELOT. I guess I should go dust off my copy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations Empty

Back to top Go down

Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next