More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations

Go down 
+6
Loomis
Harmsway
Gravity's Silhouette
Santa
Fae
Largo's Shark
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Which one of these books do you nominate for the BAB Book Club?
STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND by Robert A. Heinlein
Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
ENGLEBY by Sebastian Faulks
Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 Vote_lcap100%Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 100% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 1

AuthorMessage
lalala2004
'R'
'R'
lalala2004

Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:17 am

I voted for Joe's book, mostly because I'm already in the process of reading it.

I'm down with whatever, though. Being forced to read something is a welcome thing to me.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 2:04 pm

Kennon wrote:
Anybody care to read The Stars' Tennis Balls, Heart of Darkness or Any Human Heart?

ANY HUMAN HEART is well worth a read, but in many ways it seems a retread of Boyd's far superior THE NEW CONFESSIONS, a book that has the added bonus of being wonderful stuff for anyone interested in film.

Back to top Go down
Chief of SIS
'R'
'R'
Chief of SIS

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:46 pm

LANCELOT sounds good and attainable.

May I make a case for the novel "It Happened on the Way to War" by Rye Barcott. Here's a quick description:

Quote :

In 2000 Rye Barcott spent part of his summer living in the Kibera slum of Nairobi, Kenya. He was a college student heading into the Marines, and he sought to better understand ethnic violence-something he would likely facelater in uniform. He learned Swahili, asked questions, and listened to young people talk about how they survived in poverty he had never imagined. Anxious to help but unsure what to do, he stumbled into friendship with awidowed nurse, Tabitha Atieno Festo, and a hardscrabble community organizer, Salim Mohamed. Together, this unlikely trio built a non-governmental organization that would develop a new generation of leaders from within one of Africa's largest slums.

Their organization, Carolina for Kibera (CFK), is now a global pioneer of the movement called Participatory Development, and washonored by Time magazine as a "Hero of Global Health." CFK's greatest lesson may be that with the right kind of support, people in desperate places will take charge of their lives and create breathtaking change. Engaged in two seemingly contradictory forms of public service at the same time, Barcott continued his leadership in CFK while serving as a human intelligence officer in Iraq, Bosnia, and the Horn of Africa. Struggling with the intense stress of leading Marines in dangerous places, he took thetools he learned building a community in one of the most fractured parts of Kenya and became a more effective counterinsurgent and peacekeeper. It Happened on the Way to War is a true story of sacrifice and courage and the powerful melding of military and humanitarian service. It's a story of what America's role in the world could be.

Thought I'd just bring a little non-fiction into the mix. Something that everyone could at least find empowering without being too overtly political yet still provide healthy discussion.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 11:23 am

When do we know which book we're reading?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 12:53 pm

Now. Congrats, LANCELOT's won.
Back to top Go down
Chief of SIS
'R'
'R'
Chief of SIS

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Good call. Library is holding my copy now. How we doing this thing?
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:28 pm

We can't start yet - I don't get to pick up my copy until 30th September.
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 10:34 am

How long are we spending on each book? I want to get involved in this discussion of Lancelot, but I haven't really had time to read for pleasure during term.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 11:57 am

HJackson wrote:
How long are we spending on each book? I want to get involved in this discussion of Lancelot, but I haven't really had time to read for pleasure during term.
Hm. I though it was supposed to go for a couple of months. But, TBH, just because the "official" LANCELOT window has passed, I don't see why folks couldn't continue discussing it.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Well, it seems LANCELOT went over like a lead balloon.

Shall we try again with a different book? I promise to sit the nomination process out this time.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Sorry about that. laugh

What was that other book we mentioned? STRANGERS IN A STRANGE LAND?

Maybe ASSASSIN OF SECRETS?
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 1:11 am

Harmsway wrote:
I promise to sit the nomination process out this time.

I don't reckon anyone wants you to do that, Harms.

My nomination would be ENGLEBY by Sebastian Faulks.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 2:07 pm

I go along with that as I already have it but never got around to reading it.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 2:26 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed May 22, 2019 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 3:24 pm

Harmsway wrote:
HJackson wrote:
Hm. I though it was supposed to go for a couple of months. But, TBH, just because the "official" LANCELOT window has passed, I don't see why folks couldn't continue discussing it.
Fair point. Once December rolls around I'll give it a whirl.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
I have Lancelot, but never got around to reading it. That's five quid you owe me, Harms.
I'd still be interested in what you think about it, Ambler.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 2:00 am

Is the book club.... well, dead?
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 2:11 am

Seems like it. Sadly.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 2:16 am

Ok, I've added STRANGER ON A STRANGE LAND and ENGLEBY. Keep firing out some more nominations and we can get this thing back on a roll.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:18 am

Back from the ashes. Ambler nominates Nabokov's LOLITA.

PS. I want to delete the poll here but can't. If a mod could sort that out, that'd be great.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:52 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
Back from the ashes. Ambler nominates Nabokov's LOLITA.

No, he doesn't.

Reread it this morning. Very good, but I'm done for the next 10 years. If nominations are open to non-fiction I'm going to take this with me on holiday in November:

The Rest is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century - Alex Ross

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
The Rest is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century - Alex Ross

Very good choice. I second that.

PS. I read it before a couple of years ago, but gave up on it. From what I remember he focuses more on Benjamin Britten's homosexuality than his music, and slags off Pierre Boulez because it's popular to do so in some circles (I don't believe Ross has read any of Boulez's books, or listened to much of his music). Received opinions in other words. Will give it another try.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 3:43 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed May 22, 2019 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 3:44 pm

If nothing else, it'll hopefully provoke a good discussion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations   Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bond and Beyond Book Club: Nominations
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2