More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last book bought

Go down 
+27
Perilagu Khan
G section
Blunt Instrument
6of1
Iceskater101
Sir Dalton Craig
Manhunter
trevanian
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
tiffanywint
CJB
j7wild
Control
Vesper
Fae
Largo's Shark
Hilly
Ravenstone
colly
Loomis
Gravity's Silhouette
HJackson
MBalje
Moore
Harmsway
bitchcraft
saint mark
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

Last book bought - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 10:59 pm

Hilly KCMG wrote:
Philip Kerr's A Man Without Breath. Bernie Gunther marches on.
I bought that one too, I hope it is as good as the previous three.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 11:24 am

x

Last edited by Classified Nut on Sun May 26, 2019 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Just purchased the Kindle Editions of the following.

THE DAY OF THE LOCUST - Nathaniel West
MISS LONELYHEARTS - Nathaniel West
THE MAGUS - John Fowles
STRANGER IN A STRANGER LAND - Robert A Heinlein
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 12:09 am

x

Last edited by Classified Nut on Sun May 26, 2019 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 12:31 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
STRANGER IN A STRANGER LAND - Robert A Heinlein

Which version?

The 800 page non-censored one. Current bookmark's at page 63.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 10:11 pm

Got a couple of Stephen Baxter's (Voyage and Time Ships), a copy of Walter Schellenberg's memoirs and best of all perhaps The Hiding Place by the man himself, Robert Shaw. The copy is from 1959 and thus a very youthful Shaw peers out from the author page.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 9:18 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 11:53 pm

Hodges' rants on Corbyn and Labour on the Telegraph are both inspired and demented. Almost like the poor swine has lost the will to live.
Back to top Go down
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 10:37 am

Picked up some Chandler (THE BIG SLEEP, FAREWELL MY LOVELY and THE LONG GOODBYE), Philip K. Dick's THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE, Puzo's THE LAST DON and Kafka's METAMORPHOSIS AND OTHER STORIES.
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 12:22 pm

I find Hodges highly unimpressive in general. A typical hack whose unnamed party sources almost always confirm something that everybody observing the political scene already knows. I'm much more interested in Goodwin's book on the UKIP campaign which seems to contain some juicy behind-the-scenes gossip.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 11:29 pm

Well my last book brought was a rare excursion into the brand new book market and Philip Kerr's The Lady from Zagreb. Bernie is returning in the spring with the story set in 1956 and in the South of France. Kerr does a good job (I only wish I could write pre-war/wartime Berlin so realistically) but Bernie's best days are past I fear.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyTue May 15, 2018 3:33 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyTue May 15, 2018 4:17 pm

"Jean Dewasne"

I know everybody here's already read it...
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 9:27 pm

Having gotten a sizeable tip from an American at work, I eventually frittered it on the latest Bond (Forever and a Day) and The Manchurian Candidate. I have semi-high hopes for Horowitz as I did enjoy Trigger Mortis more than I thought I would.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyWed May 08, 2019 3:04 pm

Once I get through my next few books I'll be tackling the non-Fleming Bond adventures - Forever And A Day being one of them. I know work's been a bitch but have you managed to pick it up yet, Hilly?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptySat May 18, 2019 10:31 pm

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
Once I get through my next few books I'll be tackling the non-Fleming Bond adventures - Forever And A Day being one of them. I know work's been a bitch but have you managed to pick it up yet, Hilly?

sorry Fields, just saw this, yes I did. I wrote a little on it in the Bond book thread but worth a read. Definitely recommend it.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptySun May 19, 2019 4:57 pm

The Fog by James Herbert is one of my favourite horror classics...but this edition with this cover is not easy to get in nice shape. Finally managed to get another one. Just in case someone wants to borrow one and never returns it.

Last book bought - Page 10 Thefog
Back to top Go down
T.A. Ferguson
Cipher Clerk
T.A. Ferguson

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2019 4:16 am

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:

I bought Forever and a Day a couple of weeks ago, I started it this weekend and halfway through it. I'm really enjoying it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2019 12:42 pm

I'll have to bump it up a few places on my reading stack. Still haven't got to it.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 4:10 am

Too many!
Most recent is a book I first read from a library and finally found an affordable copy at a decent price. Pat MacGilligan's biography of Nicholas Ray entitled: Nicholas Ray: The Glorious Failure of an American Director

As with all of his bios it is essential reading, and goes alongside his Hitchcock bio and book on Young Welles as among the best film books ever written.
Back to top Go down
T.A. Ferguson
Cipher Clerk
T.A. Ferguson

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 4:23 pm

Finished "Forever and a Day". I liked it, well written, lean, simple. No messing about with useless filler.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 10:49 pm

Good to see, T.A. F&D punches away at a rate of knots.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 11:36 pm

T.A. Ferguson wrote:
Finished "Forever and a Day". I liked it, well written, lean, simple. No messing about with useless filler.

Might just be my next book, with that kind of review!
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2021 4:45 am

Read A HOLLYWOOD MEMOIR, a biography of film editor turned producer/20thcenturyFox troubleshooter Elmo Williams. Not much about editing (though they go into the back-and-forth over HIGH NOON, which on first cut was considered a dud), but there are large sections on what went into making THE LONGEST DAY and TORA TORA TORA that are very interesting reads. Some stuff about Elizabeth Taylor acting out during the CLEOPATRA period that wasn't surprising, but still infuriates. Also, apparently SOUND OF MUSIC was intended for Ingrid Bergman, but she didn't want in (that was when William Wyler was going to make the movie.) Williams seems way too ethical to have been successful, so it was kind of sweet to hear how this guy managed his personal and professional life without much in the way of compromise.

There's also mention of the guy who took over Fox and really messed a lot of stuff up in the 70s, Dennis Stanfill. He was at Fox all the way into the early 80s, so he got a lot of credit for SW, even though I don't think he had a clue what was going on with it. Just came across this little gem about it, though the source is not exactly top-notch, as this is the guy who almost managed to permanently cancel STAR TREK VI and really clipped Shatner's wings on the previous film: https://www.davidpaulkirkpatrick.com/tag/dennis-stanfill/

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2021 10:50 am

Current non-fiction read is Bruce Campbell's 'Hail To The Chin', the follow-up to his first autobio 'If Chins Could Kill'. The trials, tribulations and triumphs of this particular non-A-lister make for highly entertaining reading.

Current fiction one is 'The Vesuvius Club', the first of Mark Gatiss' Lucifer Box trilogy (character is a sort of Edwardian-era Bond). Really fun, have genuinely laughed out loud quite a few times.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last book bought
Page 10 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next