More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last book bought

Go down 
+27
Perilagu Khan
G section
Blunt Instrument
6of1
Iceskater101
Sir Dalton Craig
Manhunter
trevanian
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
tiffanywint
CJB
j7wild
Control
Vesper
Fae
Largo's Shark
Hilly
Ravenstone
colly
Loomis
Gravity's Silhouette
HJackson
MBalje
Moore
Harmsway
bitchcraft
saint mark
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

Last book bought - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2021 3:03 pm

Maybe it is because I am fascinated by chins, but always thought Campbell should have done a brother movie with Joe Bob Briggs.

Then again, and still on the matter of chins, I still think Robert Vaughn is secretly Kyle Maclachlan's dad (or possibly mine ... my mother was a stewardess for Western Airlines a year or so prior to when I was born, and while she had lousy things to say about most celebs, she had nothing but raves for the ever-courteous Vaughn, who she pratfell into a couple times on a bumpy flight.)
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptySat Nov 20, 2021 11:46 am

*Googles Joe Bob* Ha yes, I see what you mean (and him being a horror/exploitation aficionado would surely seal the deal).

Hehehe, not hard to imagine Vaughn being charm personified.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 4:09 pm

Bought a couple of Jodorowsky books (THE SON OF BLACK THURSDAY and ALBINA AND THE DOG MEN), although I have only ever read his graphic novels before. The man is a genius so I doubt I will be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptySat Feb 18, 2023 6:05 pm

THE SPIRIT ARCHIVES Vol. 6
Last book bought - Page 11 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fstuartngbooks.com%2Fimages%2Fdetailed%2F3%2Feisner_spirit_v6_cvr
I have no. 3 beforehand (1941 material) and aim to collect the whole series, maybe except the last one, which is post-Eisner.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 5:27 pm

Last book bought - Page 11 9780789200563-us

This. Absolutely fascinating art history, if you like that sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2023 6:11 pm

That looks interesting. I've only got the thick 10 lb sweeping survey style art history books like Gardner's and Jensen's.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2023 7:23 pm

Somerset wrote:
That looks interesting. I've only got the thick 10 lb sweeping survey style art history books like Gardner's and Jensen's.

It is. From the advent of American abstract expression in the 1940s, pretty much up to the present, art historians and avant-garde artists themselves have painted--so to speak--abstract art as a highly rationalistic and secular artform. This book makes absolutely clear that abstract art, in its inception and through its formative years, was imbued with deep metaphysical meaning. Indeed, it was this meaning that made abstract art art rather than mere decoration.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2023 6:04 am

As I said I have only the broadstrokes, but I do recall that my opinion of abstract art couldn't have been lower before having done any reading on it - I came away thinking there was substantially more to it than the lay impression I'd inherited of it as basically a scam.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2023 5:13 pm

Somerset wrote:
As I said I have only the broadstrokes, but I do recall that my opinion of abstract art couldn't have been lower before having done any reading on it - I came away thinking there was substantially more to it than the lay impression I'd inherited of it as basically a scam.
Are you referring to the financial whitewashing scams over the years ? Or a suspision of pretentiousness?
Both have been known to exist, but there is a wide world of art out there.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2023 9:54 pm

Yes, a bit of both...just the notion that Pollock's paintings for example were random drippings without thought or craft that "anyone could do" and that whomever saw value in it, especially those paying sums for it, were being pretentious suckers.

I think that kind of skepticism is probably quite rampant. I know I had zero exposure to art history before I thought, "Hey that's a gap I'd better take a class." But even that didn't help because the class was like being strangled.

Those thick art history books I mentioned above are still quite intimidating and dry. But I also have a neat little book by Camille Paglia called Glittering Images which wanders through art history using a couple dozen exemplar pieces to talk about and offer appreciation. That book is really accessible and informative and changed my mind about some of the 20th century stuff.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2023 11:08 pm

Camille Paglia is worthy of much respect. She's a dam' good writer.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptySun Feb 26, 2023 4:12 am

Agreed. She did a poetry book in the same vein called Break, Blow, Burn that was also excellent, and her book on Hitchcock's The Birds for the BFI is among the best film readings I've come across. I still dip in and out of Sexual Personae on occasion (it's a crazy book) but have yet to finish the entire thing.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptySat Jun 03, 2023 8:34 pm

Even though I have a lot of unread books lying in wait, I bought a couple of Carl Jung books and The Flowers of Evil by Charles Baudelaire. That one I read a long time ago, and thought it was excellent.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptySat Jun 03, 2023 9:55 pm

I slogged my way through most of Mysterium Conjunctionis. Didn't profit much by it, although I do find Jung interesting.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptyFri Aug 04, 2023 3:39 pm

MICHEL STROGOFF (aka THE COURIER OF THE CZAR ) by Jules Verne.
Read this as a child and loved it. Curious to see how I enjoy it now.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 12:54 pm

I hear that book is a Strogoff genius...

(I'll see myself out...)
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 2:00 pm

CJB wrote:
I hear that book is a Strogoff genius...

(I'll see myself out...)
Yeah, strog off!
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptyFri Aug 18, 2023 6:36 pm

MORPHIC RESONANCE- THE NATURE OF FORMATIVE CAUSATION by Rupert Sheldrake
Last book bought - Page 11 ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deepcraft.org%2Fdeep%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2010%2F12%2Fhaeckel3-202x300
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 12:49 pm

JAMES BOND, THE SPY WHO LOVED ME+JAMES BOND AND MOONRAKER by Christopher Wood.
I read TSWLM before, must have been 30 years ago, and remember really enjoying that one-way more than any other non-Fleming Bond. MR will be a first read.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptySun Aug 20, 2023 1:15 am

Phantom Commander wrote:
JAMES BOND, THE SPY WHO LOVED ME+JAMES BOND AND MOONRAKER by Christopher Wood.
I read TSWLM before, must have been 30 years ago, and remember really enjoying that one-way more than any other non-Fleming Bond. MR will be a first read.

You are going to find a wholly Fleming-worthy passage during a scene that was scripted but apparently not filmed (even though I've seen pictures of the actors on the very nice set), with Bond looking in at the zero-gee procreation center.

Wood utterly and completely nails it here with the dichotomy of Bond as a hard man and yet ... anyways, it is worth reading the whole thing to get to that one line, for me at least.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 28, 2023 8:33 am

Just got hold of the rest of THE SPIRIT ARCHIVES from various US book stores, except for one issue, no.24:
Last book bought - Page 11 Spirit-Archives-24
And also no.27, which does not interest me, as it is the new adventures, post-Eisner era.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptyFri Oct 27, 2023 9:48 pm

Douglas R. Hofstadter: I AM A STRANGE LOOP
Last book bought - Page 11 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.quotesgram.com%2Fauthors%2Fdouglas-hofstadter
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2023 4:37 am

Bought a whole bunch of books by Øvre Richter Frich.
One of my favourite writers, who has sadly been cancelled for some time now.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2023 4:16 pm

Phantom Commander wrote:
Bought a whole bunch of books by Øvre Richter Frich.
One of my favourite writers, who has sadly been cancelled for some time now.

Frich is part of a growing group of cultural luminaries on that score. Fleming will soon join Frich, and for very similar "transgressions."
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 12, 2024 6:38 pm

GOETIA-THE LESSER KEY OF SOLOMON THE KING
also known as Lemegeton.A book about demons summary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last book bought   Last book bought - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last book bought
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next