More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Book That You Read- Fiction

Go down 
+38
Nicolas Suszczyk
hegottheboot
silvertoe
Sarai
Kath
SarahN
Campbell4
boldfinger
Agent007391
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
lachesis
Blunt Instrument
Prisoner Monkeys
Santa
saint mark
Loomis
Harmsway
Louis Armstrong
Fae
Control
bitchcraft
Gravity's Silhouette
tiffanywint
Ravenstone
Perilagu Khan
Seve
trevanian
Klown
HJackson
lalala2004
Hilly
Salomé
Vesper
Largo's Shark
colly
CJB
Fairbairn-Sykes
Moore
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyWed May 18, 2022 3:28 pm

The spelunking sections of Shibumi may be heavy going for some people, but outside of that, it's a terrific novel. With the exception of TSoK, Trevanian's best, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyWed May 18, 2022 5:10 pm

Used book store had a “buy 2 get 1 free” deal day I was there so I grabbed Shibumi as well along with Incident at Twenty-Mile.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyWed May 18, 2022 7:37 pm

I've got Incident at Twenty-Mile, but have yet to read it. Need to rectify that.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyThu May 19, 2022 2:43 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
I've got Incident at Twenty-Mile, but have yet to read it. Need to rectify that.

20-Mile is the only one I haven't reread, but I remember it as a solid (if slow) book.

THE MAIN is probably in a near-tie with KATYA for me; not sure why, but I really feel like it almost (mystic?) transports me back to the 70s and to a land I've never visited, whenever I crack open that 4-in-1 Trevanian hardcover (and I do mean 'crack' because those books fall apart if you sneeze near them, I've gone though about 6 in the last 35 years.)
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyMon May 23, 2022 3:01 pm

Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty

I haven't been reading enough lately (the price of having young children) so I picked up a few easy reads to help me get back into it. I seem to remember a TV series was made of this one although I never watched it, but it seems written specifically for the purpose of becoming a TV adaptation. Most of the 'twists' were unfortunately well signposted along the way so not at all shocking or surprising but the book does describe well some of the conflicts that come with being a supposedly intelligent, educated and successful woman in a world still transitioning into acceptance of the same.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2022 4:35 am

I am also slightly out of practice reading fiction. So to get the gears greased I pulled down a book called Mind Over Magic by William Rabkin. It’s part of a series of books commissioned for the (former) USA Network show Psych, which I used to love. Friend of mine who I’ve lost track of now sadly recommended it to me over a decade ago. Wish I could tell him I finally read it (and enjoyed it). Author never really captures the essence of the characters but it was fun and humorous and flew by.

Then I moved on to...

Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 S-l500

...which is the second book by the author I’ve ever read, first being The Third Bullet. Like that book (which deals with the Kennedy assassination) Hunter seems to have done extensive research and constructed a story to tell around his own theories of events, only this time with Jack the Ripper.

I found the first half of the book fairly nasty business, and I’m not usually one to flinch on the violence. Maybe it was just being put via first person narrative into the mind of the most notorious serial killer in history. I dunno. But the back half of the book was more interested in tying together the research stuff, and for some reason (probably owing to needing some sense of resolution to the “can’t look away” nature of the first half) I took to that more so and the pages seemed to flow easier.

Some interesting choice made in terms of corralling various historical threads and personas together. The Ripper aside you’ve also got elements of Jekyll/Hyde, Pygmalion, Sherlock Holmes, Bernard Shaw, and yellow journalism. Thought it all worked in practice better than it would have if I’d had the pitch beforehand.

This one’ll go on the shelf but undecided if I’d ever re-read it.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2023 5:47 pm

THE WINDCHIME LEGACY by Andre W. Mykel.
Spy novel from the early 80s that I read when it was relatively new. I loved it back then, and when I found it again (a used copy), I wanted to see if it held up. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I had also forgotten most of the story, so it felt like a fresh experience. The book is of course dated, but that is not such a bad thing.
Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.gr-assets.com%2Fimages%2FS%2Fcompressed.photo.goodreads.com%2Fbooks%2F1438752108l%2F26042924._SX318_
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 1:33 am

I think that Mykel guy only wrote a couple of novels, but as I recall, WINDCHIME was really something else! I was addicted to the early NOVEMBER MAN novels, but this one felt like a jolt of lightning way back when outclassing the Gardner non-Bonds by far. Will have to give it another go. The ending is very much like the conclusion of Harlan Ellison's unproduced OUR MAN FLINT series teleplay, which I read around the same time. Great minds think alike ...

Just FYI ... there is a spy novel called FALLBACK, also early 1980s, by a journalist who died shortly after writing a sequel. I found the original to be quite good, but it has a plot twist halfway through that loses nearly all of its readership, so embark at your own peril. Still, thinking of WINDCHIME made me think of this one, plus two others from the early 80s, THE HAMLET WARNING and THE HAMLET ULTIMATUM. Might just have to make a deep dive into that stretch of the past this year ...
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 11:09 am

Started Horowitz's With A Mind To Kill recently. Probably the continuation author who 'gets' Fleming's Bond the most.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 2:53 pm

trevanian wrote:
I think that Mykel guy only wrote a couple of novels, but as I recall, WINDCHIME was really something else! I was addicted to the early NOVEMBER MAN novels, but this one felt like a jolt of lightning way back when outclassing the Gardner non-Bonds by far. Will have to give it another go. The ending is very much like the conclusion of Harlan Ellison's unproduced OUR MAN FLINT series teleplay, which I read around the same time. Great minds think alike ...

Just FYI ... there is a spy novel called FALLBACK, also early 1980s, by a journalist who died shortly after writing a sequel. I found the original to be quite good, but it has a plot twist halfway through that loses nearly all of its readership, so embark at your own peril. Still, thinking of WINDCHIME made me think of this one, plus two others from the early 80s, THE HAMLET WARNING and THE HAMLET ULTIMATUM. Might just have to make a deep dive into that stretch of the past this year ...
Thanks for the recommendations. I am not really into spy fiction anymore. but there are some exceptions.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptySat Feb 11, 2023 12:23 pm

Started reading the Jonas Fjeld series by Øvre Richter Frich, 21 books originally published 1911-1917. I have read Frich before, but nothing from this series. Great stuff!
Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fobriens.no%2F31004-thickbox_default%2Fjonas-fjeld-serien-nr-3-gullaren-ovre-richter-frich
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptySat Feb 11, 2023 4:12 pm

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptySun Feb 12, 2023 5:39 am

What a coincidence, PK, I'm about halfway through that at the moment. Just finished the chapter where Jim meets Ben Gunn.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptySun Feb 12, 2023 5:20 pm

That is a coincidence. And I'm now reading Kidnapped. For Christmas I got Treasure Island and Kidnapped twinned in a single volume. The book was presented to a young bloke on Christmas of 1926, and is in pristine condition. That makes it a special thing. And both novels are true page-turners. I wonder what Fleming thought of them?
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2023 6:52 am

He must've regarded them? I just checked and the Andrew Lycett bio makes reference to him having read Stevenson as a child (seems Fleming read everything) but as a Navy man and someone who loved the tropics and even to write something like LALD...he must've loved them.

My copy is also by way of a Christmas gift (card). I tend to buy my books second hand but when a gift card comes along I usually spend it on a nice edition. I'm sure not as nice as yours from the 20s. Finding ones that old but in excellent health is the best.

Mine didn't have Kidnapped included though I do have that stashed in the library somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2023 4:07 pm

I also got Treasure Island as a Christmas present by my Grandmother as a child. A luxury edition that I regret not holding onto.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2023 8:44 pm

so that's what all the cool kids have been doing
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2023 10:03 pm

Nothing cooler than traveling the seven seas in a brig under full sail, giving Long John Silver a taste of your Toledo steel, and digging up a treasure.

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest!
Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!
Drink and the devil did for the rest!
Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2023 10:17 pm

I understand. If I want escapism I prefer the childlike, well written, intellectual enough and without agenda.

I was enjoying your exchange on the topic.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptySat Feb 18, 2023 5:55 pm

THUS SPAKE ZARATHUSTRA by Friedrich Nietzche
Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fxenotheka.delbeke.arch.ethz.ch%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F07%2FNietzsche_Thus-Spake-Zarathustra-cover
English language edition. I have read it before some 30 years ago, back then in my own language.
Nietzche was a philosopher, but I see him most of all as a great poet. Both require deep thinking, so the connection is perhaps natural.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 5:30 pm

Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 529x840

This. A complete slog, but necessary for a book project I'm researching.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2023 6:09 pm

I hate when it's so dry they don't even both with the cover.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2023 7:25 pm

Probably a penny-pinching decision there. Unless we're talking about textbooks, academic publications make little to no money, and one as unapproachable as this particular work, probably made even less so.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyThu Apr 20, 2023 10:10 am

Rereading what is perhaps my favourite trilogy of all time. THE HISTORY OF BESTIALITY by Norwegian genius author Jens Bjørneboe. It consists of MOMENT OF FREEDOM (Frihetens øyeblikk, 1966), POWDERHOUSE (Kruttårnet, 1969) and THE SILENCE (Stillheten, 1973). They can all be read separately.
Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 Bjorneboe-scanpix.jpg?cropStartX=100&cropEndX=0.5095108695652174&cropStartY=86.26457622298065&cropEndY=6
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 EmptyFri Jul 14, 2023 8:56 pm

Got hold of all the Alex Raymond Sunday strips for Flash Gordon 1934-1944, collected in three books. Could not find them in the original language, but German will do.
Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2Fbe%2F69%2F83%2Fbe6983ae34c3157e11db8b3172627837
Fun fact: Olivia de Havilland was the inpiration for Dale Arden.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Book That You Read- Fiction
Page 19 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next