More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess

Go down 
+2
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Fort Knox
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Fort Knox
Administrator
Administrator
Fort Knox

WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  Empty
PostSubject: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyThu May 14, 2020 11:45 pm

EDIT: COMPETITION CLOSED. WINNER HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED.

WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  Screen10

We’re offering you a chance to win a signed copy of Andrew McNess' book, A Close Look At A View To A Kill!

About the book:
The James Bond film series is a worldwide box-office phenomenon, with cultural reference points including cars equipped with ejector seats, heroines equipped with suggestive names, and henchmen wielding steel-brimmed hats. The escapist series can nevertheless accommodate more subtle and understated plays with its established formula, and - as author Andrew McNess demonstrates - a sterling example of this can be found in 1985's A VIEW TO A KILL. Through an analysis of the film's characters, plotline, themes, music, action sequences, and more, 'A Close Look at A VIEW TO A KILL' illuminates an underrated classic in James Bond Cinema. This superbly engaging and insightful read offers a refreshing take on the pleasures of escapist cinema.

And... 2020 marks the 35th anniversary of AVTAK.

The competition is open to all Bond and Beyond members with a minimum of 10 posts to their name (if this isn’t you, join and start posting to qualify!). To enter, all you need to do is post in this thread your answer to the question below. There’s a limit to one entry per IP address.

The best answer will be chosen by Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and the author himself.

Question: What is your favourite scene in A View to a Kill and why?

T&Cs:

1. One entry per member/IP address.
2. Entrants must have a minimum of 10 posts made at Bond and Beyond. (Any new posts made to qualify should not be one word answers/emojis, but genuine responses to topics).
3. The winner will be picked on June 3rd 2020 (AEST) and announced in this thread.
4. The winner should provide a mailing address and personalised inscription preferences within 7 days via pm to this account (Fort Knox). Failure to do so will result in the admin picking another winner. So make sure you log back in regularly!  
5. As the book has been donated and/or purchased by the author/admin, should the prize be lost in transit, a replacement may not be sent (at admin’s discretion). To minimise any risk of loss in transit, please ensure the delivery address is correct.

As we only can have one winner, the book is available to purchase online:
https://www.bookdepository.com/A-Close-Look-at--A-View-to-a-Kill-/9781511620970
https://www.amazon.com/Close-Look-Andrew-McNess-2015-04-09/dp/B01K91QVHU/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2PM55N618BW73&dchild=1&keywords=a+close+look+at+a+view+to+a+kill&qid=1589496204&sprefix=A+close+look+at+%2Caps%2C644&sr=8-2

WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  95919310

Last edited by Fort Knox on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyFri May 15, 2020 4:10 am

As someone who already owns a copy, this is such an easy yet interesting read. It's always great to read different perspectives of the Bond films, especially when it's done so passionately. Also, it goes down very well listening to Barry's score in the background. yes
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyFri May 15, 2020 2:22 pm

I'll have to have a look myself. Plenty of time fellas.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Fort Knox
Administrator
Administrator
Fort Knox

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyTue May 19, 2020 1:15 pm

Due to feedback from members we've changed the competition question to something more... movie-friendly.

Fort Knox wrote:
Question: What is your favourite scene in A View to a Kill and why?

Don't miss out - only 2 weeks to go!
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyTue May 19, 2020 10:34 pm

I was initially going to go with a specific moment but it's wrapped on a scene so we'll combine the both. VTAK for it's flaws and points had the City Hall scene. Bond and Stacey have romped up and stumble upon Zorin, May Day and the Angels of Doom.

As far as Stacey knows at this point, Bond is merely James Stock of the Financial Times but Zorin of course knows who Bond really is. The lighting makes the scene from the off, it is after all at night but sometimes films either light too much or not enough. I love how Zorin methodically explains things (Christopher Walken is the best in this film) and it's punctuated by:

"But that...means...I'd have to be..."
"Dead" *bang*

Love Moore's "Brilliant, I'm almost speechless with admiration". Zorin is an utter psychopath, he veers from sane to nuts all throughout the film and of course is nuts but Walken's performance makes him quite rounded, or at least, fleshed out. Bond and Stacey are then forced into the lift where the Angels of Doom start a fire. Now, the criticism of the poorest Bond girls is the constant screeching of "James! James" but Stacey I don't think is the poorest girl. She's a normal girl suddenly thrown into this situation. Alright Tanya Roberts as a geologist might be a little stretch (little) but she got the job, Stacey, to make money, trying to keep her home at least. She cares for the job, seems to like it, then here comes this 'James Stock' who looks like she could help her against Zorin (who, as far as she knows, is merely an egotistical billionaire) and then she's sucked into a plot to destroy Silicon Valley in the most violent way possible and with a Secret Agent. Place is on fire, she starts screaming for help.

And it ends with one of my favourite Bond moments. Bond appearing at the top of the fire ladder to Barry's instrumental of the song and the descent down the ladder. Bond in a heroic action, the mis-step makes it and the swelling of the theme.

All of it elevates VTAK, however briefly, into a credible Bond film.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyWed May 20, 2020 12:08 am

I'll go with the PTS. All the action on the snow was delightfully frantic and well in keeping with one's expectations for a Bond film. At this point - in fact until the end of the Paris sequence - the film seems so full of promise.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyWed May 20, 2020 6:17 am

Very good, fellas!
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptySun May 24, 2020 1:46 am

Wonderful contest for a great book that provides a perfect conversation piece for all of us who have stuck by AVTAK all these years. It's been one of the best Bond books I've bought in the past few years.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyMon May 25, 2020 11:19 am

It was on your testimony that I bought it in the first place and I agree it's a fascinating read!
Back to top Go down
Fort Knox
Administrator
Administrator
Fort Knox

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptySat May 30, 2020 1:14 am

Only a couple of days left to get your entries in. With only two entrants so far, there's a greater chance of you winning. colgate

Back to top Go down
Fort Knox
Administrator
Administrator
Fort Knox

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyTue Jun 02, 2020 12:44 am

Last chance! Winner to be drawn tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
Rock Salt

Rock Salt

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyTue Jun 02, 2020 1:51 pm

Just wanted to drop in and say hi. I'm the author of this book. Looking forward to choosing a winner. BTW, nice to have something to acknowledge AVTAK's 35th anniversary ... I'd completely overlooked the anniversary in all this COVID-19 madness. Sacrilege!
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and hegottheboot, glad you enjoyed the analysis. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyTue Jun 02, 2020 3:05 pm

Ah, nice to see you on these here parts. Make yourself at home as it were, there's a VTAK35 thread hereabouts.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyTue Jun 02, 2020 11:56 pm

Welcome Rock Salt! Arguably the best username on the forum. Today's the day to pick a winner. Going to be a tough gig between our two entrants. Guess we load up the rifle and fire away at one of them:

WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EgxDPkyQfsh1EGMs19ceBglNhJ2lSzHRBQioZ2htdGzmwWcAEDesMhrytmmSeC4_n1JLQlS3PB6aTl0k47bxiYxAtdYmT7oYBU1VS-eyYqcgWLlXD-yNq48Vuyo-gUIZ0nQ
Back to top Go down
Fort Knox
Administrator
Administrator
Fort Knox

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyWed Jun 03, 2020 6:43 am

WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT

Andrew McNess (Rock Salt here) has chosen a winner.

The winner of Bond and Beyond's 2st competition is...

rimshot

Spoiler:

Rock Salt may elaborate but he appreciated the level of description and appreciation of the sequence in the winner's answer. He also expressed the runner up's response was very good as well.

So as the winner, you have one week to get in touch via pm with a postal address and what you'd like inscribed from Andrew. Once we receive your message, we'll organise a copy to be sent out to you. smile

For those who missed out this time, you can purchase your copy here:
https://www.bookdepository.com/A-Close-Look-at--A-View-to-a-Kill-/9781511620970
https://www.amazon.com/Close-Look-Andrew-McNess-2015-04-09/dp/B01K91QVHU/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2PM55N618BW73&dchild=1&keywords=a+close+look+at+a+view+to+a+kill&qid=1589496204&sprefix=A+close+look+at+%2Caps%2C644&sr=8-2

If you've read the book, feel free to use this thread to discuss A Close Look At View To A Kill.

Last edited by Fort Knox on Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rock Salt

Rock Salt

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyWed Jun 03, 2020 1:16 pm

Thanks to the entrants. I really enjoyed reading your perspectives. smile
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyWed Jun 03, 2020 3:32 pm

Kudos indeed
:
well done
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyWed Jun 03, 2020 8:56 pm

Congratulations S&Q - I was rooting for you too. Clearly you enjoy the film more than I do, so you're bound to appreciate the book more than I would.
Although, to be fair to Rock Salt, I'd probably buy a copy anyway if I came upon one.
Back to top Go down
Fort Knox
Administrator
Administrator
Fort Knox

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyThu Jun 04, 2020 1:02 am

In my haste, somehow I confused S&Q with Hilly. Hilly is the winner. Congrats. S&Q didn't enter!
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyThu Jun 04, 2020 3:50 am

I was wondering.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyThu Jun 04, 2020 2:23 pm

Blimey, well, thanks awfully chaps. oh my!
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 7:22 pm

Like to thank you both, the book turned up today. Give it a read as soon as I can but thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptySat Jul 04, 2020 1:35 pm

I was wondering if you'd received it. Looking forward to reading your thoughts. smile
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 8:01 pm

I read it today and it's a nice little read. Refreshing to see an analysis of a Bond film, any Bond film (I've not read much about the films) and setting out the film from start to finish. Like the commentary on Stacey but also intrigued by the references to our hero being on the backfoot almost throughout. Didn't occur to me really that in some respects Bond is always bettered by May Day or is almost below par to Zorin until the end. Anyone wants to read anything about VTAK whether you love or loathe it, it's worth a read.

So thanks again Fields, Rock Salt, for this.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 2:46 pm

The back foot analysis intrigues me also. It makes perfect sense with the old/young and natural/man made dynamics they incorporate into the film. It certainly lends the film with a sense of frustration and urgency.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess    WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess  Empty

Back to top Go down

WIN: A CLOSE LOOK AT VIEW TO A KILL by Andrew McNess
Page 1 of 1