More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Western Thread

Go down 
+17
hegottheboot
saint mark
Control
HJackson
bitchcraft
Lazenby.
Seve
FourDot
dr. strangelove
Klown
The White Tuxedo
Salomé
Mr. Trevelyan
bondfan06
Largo's Shark
Fae
colly
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 3:54 am

The Western Thread Wester10

Figured its time we got on our way and started on some real discussion again. And since I gathered Tux might like a crack at making the Noir thread, I thought it due to make a Western thread. Domain of men who were men. Whether your tastes are for American westerns, Spaghetti westerns, Revisionist Westerns or whatever other western film you like - here's the place.

Conversely, looking to get started in Westerns? You could do worse than check out reading material like this 50s Westerns blog.
Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 10:09 am

Looking to get started on Westerns, methinks - something for me to watch during the holidays. I've seen the latest True Grit and The Magnificent Seven but that is my extent ... so ... yeah ...

Oh and I saw this when I was like five but I don't think this is the Western you are thinking of. 👅

The Western Thread 516BJ36S3YL._SL500_AA300_

But yeah - any ones I must watch?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 10:17 am

Fae wrote:
But yeah - any ones I must watch?

Vera Cruz. High Noon, Shane, Ford, Leone, are the usual answers.

If you insist on something a bit more recent then Kevin Jarre's Tombstone is entertaining.
Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 10:26 am

I figured Leone would defs be one of them. Probably will start with the Dollars Trilogy then.

Thanks, Ambler
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 11:29 am

Shouldve known the first reply wouldve been Fae and her childhood films. :idea:

Ambler gives good advice - the Dollars trilogy's a good place to begin for newbies to Westerns; they're much more modern than the classic American style Westerns, even if arguably less interesting on the whole.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 11:39 am

THE LONELY ARE THE BRAVE is a terrific Western. Sorely overlooked.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 11:41 am

I still need to get that. :oops:
Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 11:42 am

colly wrote:
Its a classic IMHO. laugh
Back to top Go down
bondfan06
'R'
'R'
bondfan06

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 1:28 pm

This thread needs Seve. I really enjoyed my discussions about Westerns with him.

The last Western I watched was A Fistful of Dynamite which is quite overlooked with an extravagant Morricone soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Trevelyan
Cipher Clerk
Mr. Trevelyan

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 5:11 pm

Sergio Leone.

'Nuff said.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Sergio Leone isn't the beginning and end of the Western genre. Some people need to realise that.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Trevelyan
Cipher Clerk
Mr. Trevelyan

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 5:15 pm

Sharky wrote:
Sergio Leone isn't the beginning and end of the Western genre. Some people need to realise that.
Well, at least I could live my life only with Leone's films. Not that I don't like any other westerns, I do, but Leone is just something...divine, IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Sharky wrote:

That's a strong statement. John Ford defined the first forty years of the genre.

Leone did redefine it, but by then it was already on its last legs.

Any Boetticher fans?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 6:02 pm

I feel that next week would be a great time to have an entire week of Western movies. It's been a few months since I have seen any, and with the golf course not opening up until April, well that gives me some quality time to watch.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 7:33 pm

Salomé wrote:
Any Boetticher fans?

Yup. But it's been a while. I've not seen all of his Westerns, but I think most of them. I liked them a lot. I like the Mann/Stewart ones too. I used to feel some loyalty to Ford, as I'm related to him. I still like him a lot, but I like the Mann stuff more overall. Like if I were to compare Ford's Calavry films to the Mann/Stewart cycle. I do like FORT APACHE a lot, though. As for Mann, I've seen some of THE FURIES, but I want to see the whole thing.

I'm currently going through mostly Best Picture winners and nominees, which of course cuts me off from most of the... best pictures.

Willard Whyte wrote:
I feel that next week would be a great time to have an entire week of Western movies. It's been a few months since I have seen any, and with the golf course not opening up until April, well that gives me some quality time to watch.

Gives me the perfect excuse to post this link again: http://www.imagesjournal.com/issue10/infocus/

Shame that site seems to be defunct. At least it's still up.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Great site there Tux, thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 9:36 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Salomé wrote:
Any Boetticher fans?

Yup. But it's been a while. I've not seen all of his Westerns, but I think most of them.

My favorite is Comanche Station.

Clint is a fan as well:

http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/DVfr1mkj3Lltif/clint-eastwood-on-comanche-station
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 11:03 pm

I haven't seen that one. I've seen the earlier ones like SEVEN MEN FROM NOW and THE TALL T. I've maybe seen four of the seven he did with Big Gay Randy.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 11:09 pm

Loved the video with Clint talking about it. The film looks great. One of the things I love about Westerns isn't simply how the landscapes look, but how they feel. It seems like it's nicely naturalistic, that film. I'll make a note to check it out.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 9:11 am

Salomé wrote:
Any Boetticher fans?

I enjoyed SEVEN MEN FROM NOW and a long time since has been spent searching for a cheap edition of that boxset Columbia released. I've seen more Mann and Sturges when it comes to 50s westerns. 8)
Back to top Go down
Klown
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Klown

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 10:58 pm

colly wrote:

Ambler gives good advice - the Dollars trilogy's a good place to begin for newbies to Westerns; they're much more modern than the classic American style Westerns, even if arguably less interesting on the whole.
:|
bondfan06 wrote:
This thread needs Seve. I really enjoyed my discussions about Westerns with him.
Oh, no, keep him out of here, please. His posts hurt my eyes.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 11:39 pm

Klown wrote:
bondfan06 wrote:

It's only the formatting.
Back to top Go down
Klown
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Klown

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 12:04 am

Sharky wrote:
Klown wrote:
bondfan06 wrote:

It's only the formatting.
That's exactly what I was referring to. The (lack of) formatting only adds to how rambling his posts are. I'll admit he's quite a knowledgeable member though, not all bad all things considered.
Back to top Go down
dr. strangelove
'R'
'R'
dr. strangelove

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 2:45 am

I've got ONCE UPTON A TIME IN THE WEST sitting on top my DVD player right now. I've been wanting to get around to it for at least a week now, but it's tough to must up enough strength to watch a 3-hour film when I come home tired from work and the last thing I want to do is, well....think or pay attention to something (as bad as that sounds). I'll probably get around to it tomorrow. I'm told that I'm in for a life-changing experience with OUaTitW.

Anyway, as for recommendations for Fae...as someone said, I'd start with Leone's trilogy. They're all great films. Also, try THE WILD BUNCH. These films are a little more "modern" (to me, at least) than some of the older, more classic American westerns. Personally, I prefer the Spaghetti Westerns to the classics, but for a lot of people it's the opposite. If you're looking for some slightly more obscure Italian westerns, check out DJANGO, THE GREAT SILENCE, or A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL (sometimes it's referred to as EL CHUCHO, QUIEN SABE? Fantastic political western).

If you're looking for more current westerns, I'd start with UNFORGIVEN. TOMBSTONE is a fun one, with a great performance by Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday. THE PROPOSITION is another good one with Guy Pearce that takes place in the Australian outback. The Coen's recent remake of TRUE GRIT is quite good, and I thought the remake of 3:10 TO YUMA was half-way decent, as well.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 2:57 am

Klown wrote:
colly wrote:

:|

If we're comparing the Dollars trilogy, than certainly. Obviously OUATITW is my godly piece of heaven. ;)

Enjoyment aside, films like SHANE, 3:10 TO YUMA, THE GUNFIGHTER and much besides have greater points of interest to a watcher like me. But the reason I ventured into this thread was to ask if anyone had seen the Wyler/Cooper Brennan-Oscar-win Western called THE WESTERNER? My interest has been piqued, but the pricetag scares me somewhat. Has anyone got a view on it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Western Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Thread   The Western Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Western Thread
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next