More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price

Go down 
+2
Santa
Control
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price Empty
PostSubject: UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price   UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 7:46 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9067332/Alcoholic-drinks-to-get-weaker-says-minister.html

Quote :
Anne Milton warned there would not be “one silver bullet” to deal with drinking problems when the Government’s alcohol strategy is published next month

But the junior health minister said one of the key goals was to “remove significant number of units of alcohol from the UK market through changes in how alcohol is produced and sold”.

“Quality above quantity is something we’re aiming to do,” she said. "We can't turn this problem around overnight but we're deadly serious about a deadly problem."

In the strategy, ministers are expected to unveil measures to increase the price of alcoholic drinks according to how strong they are. This could be done through higher taxation per unit, minimum pricing per unit or simply higher levels of duty for strong drinks. Ministers will also encourage companies to produce weaker alcoholic drinks.

Prime Minister David Cameron is known to have sympathy with the idea of minimum pricing, which medics say could save nearly 10,000 lives per year if set at 50p per unit.

My condolences.

Wouldn't be surprised if something like this happens in the US soon.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price   UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 7:49 pm

How rude.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price   UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 8:17 pm

David Cameron, you make Ellsworth Toohey look like Austin Powers. Get out of my life, my vices, and my private means of long-term suicide, and finally put your head to the economy, the overinflated state and give serious thought to abandoning the EU. You're not my mother, you're the PM. Grow some fucking balls.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price   UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 8:21 pm

Don't hold back, Sharky. Say what you really mean.

Oh dear, it's going to cost you even more to get in my knickers now.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price   UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 8:27 pm

it's already happening in Texas.

You go to some bars and night club and gentlemen's club, they charge you a mixed beverage tax which according to TABC, can't be charged to the customer.

But the business has it listed on the receipt under a different name.

So if you buy let's say a $250 bottle of Champagne, you will see $25 extra added to your final bill below the Tip.

Some businesses call it an uncorking fee, some others call it a mixer fee, etc etc
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price   UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 5:18 am

j7wild wrote:
So if you buy let's say a $250 bottle of Champagne, you will see $25 extra added to your final bill below the Tip.
Champagne is for pussies, j7. A real man like you should be drinking beer.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price   UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 7:49 am

Jack Wade wrote:
j7wild wrote:

I was using Champagne as an example because this tax that's being added is usually added to bottles of wines and champagne and liquor.

I only drink Vespers.

2-3 of them a day on a good week!
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price   UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 8:25 am

Sharky wrote:
David Cameron, you make Ellsworth Toohey look like Austin Powers. Get out of my life, my vices, and my private means of long-term suicide, and finally put your head to the economy, the overinflated state and give serious thought to abandoning the EU. You're not my mother, you're the PM. Grow some fucking balls.

Here! Here! Just another cash desperate, nanny-state tax grab. I'd rather see a full blown liberal in power, than a faux conservative like Cameron.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price   UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 6:18 pm

j7wild wrote:
Jack Wade wrote:
j7wild wrote:

I was using Champagne as an example because this tax that's being added is usually added to bottles of wines and champagne and liquor.

I only drink Vespers.

2-3 of them a day on a good week!
Not sure your liver would consider that a good week.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price   UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 8:42 pm

I drank a couple of Vesper's. Who knew it was possible to get vocal cystitis?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price   UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 9:01 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Who knew it was possible to get vocal cystitis?

Santa.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price   UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price Empty

Back to top Go down

UK: Alcoholic drinks to get weaker, increase in price
Page 1 of 1