More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Where did THAT come from?

Go down 
+17
Control
00Beast
lachesis
Makeshift Python
Louis Armstrong
AMC Hornet
The White Tuxedo
bitchcraft
Harmsway
Blunt Instrument
Prisoner Monkeys
trevanian
right idea, wrong pussy
CJB
tiffanywint
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Gravity's Silhouette
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 3:25 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Control wrote:
Bond breaking into M's flat.

Honestly, why did this have to happen? M had the only computer in the world with that information?

Plus, there would have been no more James Bond after that moment. I imagine he'd be fired and never heard from again.

Oh, I hate that. I hate Bad Boy Bond. Like he's some teenager climbing into windows. And it's funny that he apparently can't get past video cameras, can't tail a man worth a crap, but can infilitrate the presumably secure home of the head of British Intelligence.

I think they cut out a scene where Bond was snooping around M's underwear drawer before she walked in.

Quote :
Wait.... Brown? Is that you?

Indeed. Or "Cuntrol", as Sharky said.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 3:27 am

Looks like we've gone full circle.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 3:34 am

Control wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
Control wrote:
Bond breaking into M's flat.

Honestly, why did this have to happen? M had the only computer in the world with that information?

Plus, there would have been no more James Bond after that moment. I imagine he'd be fired and never heard from again.

Oh, I hate that. I hate Bad Boy Bond. Like he's some teenager climbing into windows. And it's funny that he apparently can't get past video cameras, can't tail a man worth a crap, but can infilitrate the presumably secure home of the head of British Intelligence.

I think they cut out a scene where Bond was snooping around M's underwear drawer before she walked in.

And finds her bondage closet.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Control wrote:
After the episode in Madagascar, Bond's name was mud. No-one would have wanted anything to do with him, at least until the controversy died down. M probably wouldn't have approached him, officially or otherwise. Nevertheless, Bond had the evidence of Mollaka's employer that he was looking for, and he probably guessed that he only had a limited window of opportunity to to act on it. He needed a way to meet M, so he broke into her apartment.

As for using the computer, it was his way of keeping M up to date on what was happening. He did it in the Bahamas as well, using M's name and password to access a secure terminal and show her what he was up to. That's how M knew to go after Le Chiffre. At this point, Bond was still unwelcome in the intelligence community, so using M's computer in her flat was a way of directing her attention to the Bahamas whilst giving her plausible deniability. Even if Bond was spotted entering or leaving her home, M would still be able to act on the information he gave her without it being tarnished by his name. After all, he used her name and password, which he is not supposed to know (and which nobody else knows he knows).
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 2:06 pm

Besides if he hadn't M wouldn't have been there to gush about the few occasions he doesn't think with his fists. "How does Bond find out where I live"..."How does Bond break into places"...."How does Bond Hack n' stuff"...."What is this spying business anyways".... M is a vital link in blagging over the fact that P&W or other engaged writer have not the vaguest clue when it comes to intelligent intelligence gathering and in turn demonstrate zero understanding of what such blatant disregard for procedure would mean to a brand new 00.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 11:03 am

I wasn't aware that Bond films were police procedurals.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptySat May 26, 2012 7:26 am

At the beginning of Dr. No, when Bond gave Sylvia Trench his card and said "my number is on the card",

did his card also had his home address printed on it?

If that's truly the case, why would Bond, an MI6 Secret Service agent have his home address printed out on a business card.

It just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I'd always wondered how did Sylvia find out where Bond lived.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptySat May 26, 2012 7:54 am

Why'd he give her a card anyway? Couldn't he have just added her on Facebook?
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptySat May 26, 2012 8:27 am

j7wild wrote:
At the beginning of Dr. No, when Bond gave Sylvia Trench his card and said "my number is on the card",

did his card also had his home address printed on it?

If that's truly the case, why would Bond, an MI6 Secret Service agent have his home address printed out on a business card.

It just doesn't make sense.

I always assumed it was temporary apartment he was living in. Or maybe he was off from work for a bit, prior to the story in the film, because of that accident he had (M mentions it during the armorer sequence). Who knows?

Do you blame the guy, though? tongue
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptySun May 27, 2012 3:29 am

We know from the novels (and, if we'd forgotten, from CR) that Bond prefers married women. Being single, it's less trouble to have his women visit him than to risk having to parkour out the window if hubby comes home early (although he didn't like them using his bathroom - cad!).

So yes, he would have a card with his number on it, to give to prospective concubines. He might even scrawl his address on the back of a few to save time. Of course the face of the card wouldn't read "James Bond, secret agent for MI6 - infiltration, sabotage and assassination since 1952." It might say 'Universal Exports' with a cable address (e.g.: 'SecServSW1').

If it were impossible forSylvia to find his flat without help from the KGB, he might have just shot her on sight (or at least turned her over to '5' after he'd shagged her ("and be careful of her nail varnish").
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Using the same actor for different roles.

Maud Adams and Charles Gray and Martine Beswick have been in 2 Bond films playing 2 different roles.

As if there was a shortage of actors and actresses when they cast those roles at the time.

I'd always find that strange.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 3:32 pm

j7wild wrote:
Using the same actor for different roles.

Maud Adams and Charles Gray and Martine Beswick have been in 2 Bond films playing 2 different roles.

As if there was a shortage of actors and actresses when they cast those roles at the time.

I'd always find that strange.

Its what actors do and certainly in the case of Charles Gray and Martine Beswick, its always a pleasure so no complaints from me.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Nothing wrong with impressing the bosses enough to be remembered when casting a new role comes up.

Like with the screenwriters, directors and crew, when Cubby and his heirs take a liking to you, you have a job for life.

Wouldn't you like to get in on that?

("Oh no, you mustn't cast me again - I've already made my contribution. Besides, some people might get confused, seeing me pop up in a different role.")

Has that ever happened?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 10:01 pm

The Bond series (or at least it used to be) is like a repertory company. If you get on well behind the scenes, there's change you'll return. It's like a big family. Coen Bros are similar in this respect. Think of all the times John Goodman, and Frances McDormand have reappeared in their films.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 9:17 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
The Bond series (or at least it used to be) is like a repertory company. If you get on well behind the scenes, there's change you'll return. It's like a big family. Coen Bros are similar in this respect. Think of all the times John Goodman, and Frances McDormand have reappeared in their films.

So what you are saying is one day, Daniel Craig can come back and play Felix Leiter.

Or Roger Moore can come back and play the new M.

Sir Sean can play a bad guy in Bond 24.

Wouldn't that just be weird?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 9:35 am

Was Maud Adams, Martine Beswick, Joe Don Baker or Charles Grey playing James Bond at all?
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 11:42 am

Largo's Shark wrote:

The irony of it is that they couldn't or wouldn't cast the same guy as Blofeld for his main appearences (although did when it really didn't matter). Of course there is that theory that Blofeld is just a title the leader of SPECTRE assumes ^^.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 11:36 pm

[quote="lachesis] Of course there is that theory that Blofeld is just a title the leader of SPECTRE assumes ^^.[/quote]

That's a new one to me.

So 'Blofeld' could be SPECTRE's 'M'?

But...but...was Robert Brown supposed to be Sir Miles, or a different Admiral (Hargreaves)? Nothing was ever said in Octopussy about a change (although, if TLD was a reboot, there wouldn't have to be a 'change' of M, any more than there was between the analyst in GE and the cold war vet in CR). Is 'Moneypenny' a title for the PA to 'M'?

Why would Bond be so determined to kill whoever's the head of SPECTRE, rather than the man who murdered his wife?

Why did Bond so readily recognize the head of SPECTRE as 'Blofeld' in DAF? Was it just the Mao jacket?

The mind reels...
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 11:50 pm

AMC Hornet wrote:
Why would Bond be so determined to kill whoever's the head of SPECTRE, rather than the man who murdered his wife?

Who says he's avenging his wife in DAF? There's no mention of her name, and the PTS follows straight on from YOLT's Japanese setting...
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 3:56 am

AMC Hornet wrote:
lachesis wrote:
Of course there is that theory that Blofeld is just a title the leader of SPECTRE assumes ^^.

That's a new one to me.

So 'Blofeld' could be SPECTRE's 'M'?

But...but...was Robert Brown supposed to be Sir Miles, or a different Admiral (Hargreaves)? Nothing was ever said in Octopussy about a change (although, if TLD was a reboot, there wouldn't have to be a 'change' of M, any more than there was between the analyst in GE and the cold war vet in CR). Is 'Moneypenny' a title for the PA to 'M'?

Why did Bond so readily recognize the head of SPECTRE as 'Blofeld' in DAF? Was it just the Mao jacket?

The mind reels...

I think it is quite clear that Blofeld is intended to be the same character, but played by different actors, just as Bond, first go-around, was played by 5 different actors. The obvious little glitch of course is that Blofeld doesn't immediately recognize Bond in OHMSS, but I think we are simply asked to suspend disbelief in that case and believe that Bond's disguise and Hilary Bray voice is more convincing than it might appear to be. Blofeld is maybe so obessed with obtaining his title that he doesn't realize he has invited 007 himself into his lair. Plus its been two long years since they only briefly crossed paths, during the chaos of the big Spectre volcano showdown. So I'm good. I can roll with it.

I do believe that Robert Brown's M is Admiral Hargreaves, that he is a new M. It fits perfectly but the continuity is ambiguous here as that development is not spelled out. He could very well be Miles Messervy too. I choose to believe that he is Hargreaves simply because it is possible and plausible and allows for continuity with the character that we met in TSWLM. I like to imagine that actors are playing the same characters unless it is patently obvious that they are not. eg Martine Beswicke going from Gypsy fighting-girl to Mi6 field operative in TB.

Quote :
Is 'Moneypenny' a title for the PA to 'M'?
No of course not. She is Moneypenny, a unique character, portrayed by 3 different actresses, but of course you know that. ;)
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 7:56 pm

TSWLM: The maid wanted Bond but would have to wait 6 more years. The music is ominous as it could easily be more of Stromberg's henchmen coming to kill them, a very real danger for any spy. Of course they do not come even though Stromberg knew exactly where the "Sterlings" were staying!! The bit with the maid serves as slight tension relief.
GE: The scene is shot with angles that could create this effect to some I guess. This dialogue however is part of the self-consciousness that rears up in GE, almost as a defense to all long-standing critics of Bond's lifestyle and job. Natalya seems wooden here, but what makes the scene is the way Brosnan is coldly reflective and wistful. his delivery of the line "It's what keeps me alive" is the finest in the film, and perhaps his entire Bond career.
AVTAK: maybe get away from the bridge and try to break off the rope or something? Though silly and pointless, the California Girls snippet is mixed very well and sounds great on a sound system then dramatically leaps back into Barry.
LTK: Bond admitting he could use some explosive is straightforward and honest, completely underlining the fact that he is ready to go crazy in exacting revenge. The bit with Pam and the camera is just a way of demonstrating a gadget gag without being in Q's lab. It is supposed to be humorous with the laser nearly killing Q and Bond, but the photo is terribly fake.

Stromberg's death: I have never understood why they had Roger shoot four times. It's one of his best scenes, played very well but the repeated shots still make no sense. He should have shot Jaws five times and that would have made sense.

Blunt Instrument wrote:
In a thread about 'WTF?' moments from Bond, surprised no-one's mentioned 'I'll buy you a delicatessen...' from FYEO yet.
Wost. Line. Ever. In. History. Of. Time.
tiffanywint wrote:
As for the stainless steel line. That's a Cubby in-joke. This line was mentioned in Cubby's autobiography WHEN THE SNOW MELTS. It refers to Italian mafia members offering this as a bribe to get something in exchange. A delicatessen in stainless steel was and still is the top of the line quality.
That makes sense, but still the line is agonizingly awkward.

AMC Hornet wrote:

And as for Sergei Borzov, Gogol was hardly going to admit, "He was killed attempting to assassinate a British agent." Better to let Anya think Sergei was a poor, innocent bystander gunned down mercilessly by a bloodthirsty enforcer of the decadent western military-industrial complex. That way (as Christopher Wood explains in an unfilmed aside in his novelization) Anya will be well placed and motivated to assassinate Bond should the occasion arise. :study:
And yes, the Russian attack was an excuse for Bond to ski off a cliff.
Plus in Soviet Russia you are not allowed access to secret information Comrade. It is classified far above your level!

Makeshift Python wrote:
Christmas Jones was the least of TWINE's problems. The only problem I ever had with her was the ending because it felt unnatural much like the ending of AVTAK. For the most part all she ever does throughout the flick is aide Bond and provide exposition (though Richards' delivery of "instant [pause] catastrophic [pause] meltdown" was probably the worst acting I have ever seen).

Overall like TND it's a very dry film with a hammy lead actor and some good ideas executed in the worst possible manner. Plus it really looks flat. I dunno why TND and TWINE had to fall for that 1990s desaturated look.
Agreed, as I never found her bad in the film or anything, but I never found TND or TWINE to be flat looking. The DVD transfers do not fully match my theatrical memories however.

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
TOMORROW NEVER DIES is let down by the way Carver is a glorified henchman. General Chang is he real villain of the film, even though he is only seen once and mentioned twice thereafter.
Carver is undone by his terribly weak exit form the film. Plus how did little media man get so many people to work for him and feel threatened? Can they release Anthony Hopkins footage if any exists? And Chang should have been in the film more when you suddenly realize that he is Mad Dog from Hard Boiled!!!!

AMC Hornet wrote:
Makeshift Python wrote:
Richards' delivery of "instant [pause] catastrophic [pause] meltdown" was probably the worst acting I have ever seen..

"Except...except right beneath us is the...key geological lock that...that keeps the faults from moving at once!"
)
Ahh yes...the girl who sounds like a squealing pig.

GE sauna: Xenia is already a known operative of Janus, and is the person sent to meet with/attack Bond over the happenigns of his deal with Zuckovsky. She tries to have her way with him but Bond overcomes her and forces the meeting to take place. Still don't know about the other guy though.

j7wild wrote:
I always thought that she showed some intuition and looked up his address in the phone book and broke in.

I still want to read all the different TSWLM drafts....Drax, Tatiana Romanova, Tic Tac Toe, and especially Maibaum's script opening with the killing of old SPECTRE by the new SPECTRE youth.

trevanian wrote:
Then again if I were Dalton I'd've been more concerned with why the hairstylists used the duration of this motion picture to call in sick.
:lol!: Indeed, Dalton's hair in LTK is awful, but his steely grimness pulls our eyes away from it more than the terrible Moore hair in FYEO/OP.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 4:25 am

Can someone please explain the scene in LALD where Bond shoots Baron Samedi in the head and it breaks like porcelain, but doesn't kill him?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 4:40 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Can someone please explain the scene in LALD where Bond shoots Baron Samedi in the head and it breaks like porcelain, but doesn't kill him?

Dummy.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 5:58 am

Why would Samedi need a dummy?

If Samedi was anticipating Bond attacking and felt the need to use a decoy, why would he use the exact same entrance two minutes later?

If it's a dummy, how come it can roll its eyes upwards towards the damaged skull?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 7:31 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Why would Samedi need a dummy?

As part of the sacrifice routine, so Samedi can kick back and smoke some weed rather waste time up above with the crazy villagers.

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
If Samedi was anticipating Bond attacking and felt the need to use a decoy, why would he use the exact same entrance two minutes later?

So he could fight Bond.

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
If it's a dummy, how come it can roll its eyes upwards towards the damaged skull?

It's clearly got a very basic mechanism for that, powered by pneumatic, hydraulic or electronic means.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where did THAT come from?   Where did THAT come from? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Where did THAT come from?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Bond: General News & General Discussion-
Jump to: