More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Best merc movies?

Go down 
+3
saint mark
The White Tuxedo
bitchcraft
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptySun May 06, 2012 1:25 am

I had an inkling to watch The Wild Geese again earlier today...watched about 1/2 of it before having to attend to other matters...one of Roger Moore's finest non-Bond moments as Shawn Finn. If you don't have the dvd or blu-ray, the whole movie is also on youtube, split into 15 minute and 9 minute parts.

Incidentally, it's amazing Moore was not condemned as Bond after The Wild Geese opened. It was filmed in South Africa during the apartheid era and when it opened in 1978, there were anti-apartheid protests. Heard Michael Caine rejected being cast because of the apartheid issue in South Africa.

Anyway, what else are good merc movie? Will look at The Dogs of War next, followed by The Dirty Dozen.

It's a shame that movies like Killer Elite underperform (it was actually quite good) when compared to slapdash bullshit like The Expendables...even though they had a common denominator (Jason Statham).

Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptySun May 06, 2012 1:43 am

Mercenary?

Have you seen THE PROFESSIONALS from 1966?

Best merc movies? Woody-strode-lee-marvin-burt-lancaster-professionals

Best merc movies? Pros
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptySun May 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Not familiar with that one, will put it on my list and ask around if anyone has it :D
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptySun May 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Mercenaries (1968) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062863/

The Wild Geese (1978) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078492/

The Sea Wolves (1980) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081470/

North Sea Hijack (1979) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081809/

To name a few.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptySun May 06, 2012 8:08 pm

A forgotten one is THE DEVIL'S BRIGADE, overshadowed by the success of THE DIRTY DOZEN. Boasts a fun score from Alex North.

Although it's set 500 years ago in the Thirty Years' War, THE LAST VALLEY's worth a watch. Nice 70 mm widescreen cinematography, one of Michael Caine's rare attempts at an accent, and one of my favourite John Barry scores.

Available to watch in 10 parts on Youtube, though not in the best quality.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyMon May 07, 2012 4:52 am

I thought this thread was supposed to be about mercenary movies.

The Devil's Brigade, The Dirty Dozen, The Sea Wolves and ffolkes (aka North Sea Hijack) were about mercenaries?

Granted, the Dozen were in it for pardons, but the Devil's Brigade were regular army (a mix of American and Canadian troops), The Last Charge of the Calcutta Light Horse was conducted by retired volunteers, and Rufus Exaclibur ffolkes' outfit was a professional antiterrorism unit (for hire, admittedly, but I didn't hear Moore say - as Richard Burton's Allen Faulkner did - that they'd work for just anybody).

Depends on your definition of mercenary, I suppose.

Anyway, back to the point:

There isn't a better film about mercenaries than The Wild Geese. There's the Dogs of War, as Mrs. A.S. mentions, and White Tux's The Professionals, plus the Magnificent Seven (and Kirosawa's original Seven Samurai - featuring that sword-wielding ninja from YOLT), but none better.

That said, worth checking out are Codename: Wildgeese (Lewic Collins), Dark of the Sun (Rod Taylor) and (stretching the definition again to include volunteers) Uncommon Valour (Gene Hackman).

The Wild Geese 2 (Scott Glenn) definitely doesn't make the cut, not even with Edward Fox as Allen Faulkner's brother Alex. What a sad waste of time that turned out to be (even Connery couldn't have saved it, if he'd agreed to take Burton's role).

Rambo, Braddock and the boys don't count - they were all one-man war machines - action franchise heroes, not soldiers of fortune with questionable morals and ethics. (This is all IMCO, of course.)

On a similar but almost unrelated note I'd like to ask who out there has seen that episode of Kung Fu: The Legend Continues (an admittedly inferior series) wherein Caine is kidnapped and his son assembles a 'dragon's wing' to affect his rescue? Playing old soldiers recruited to the cause are Patrick Macnee as 'Steadman,' Ian Ogilvy as "Sterling' and Robert Vaughn as 'Riker' (what, no George Lazenby?). Not a great show, but a great one-time cast.

BTW, does anyone else think that the theme from The Last Valley sounds like 'Space Laser Battle'? Barry composed it, so I suppose he could adapt it for a Bond movie if he liked.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyMon May 07, 2012 12:54 pm

AMC Hornet wrote:
I thought this thread was supposed to be about mercenary movies.

The Devil's Brigade, The Dirty Dozen, The Sea Wolves and ffolkes (aka North Sea Hijack) were about mercenaries?

Fair enough, but THE LAST VALLEY still counts.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyMon May 07, 2012 4:43 pm

I'll take your word for it, Sharkster, as I found the first scene so grim I couldn't watch the rest.

As for filming the Wild Geese in South Africa during the apartheid era, if you listen to Sir Roger's wonderful commentary track he mentions that Winston Ntshona and John Kani were put up in the same luxury hotel as the rest of the cast. That was progress at the time, especially since the story they were filming was about the need to end apartheid and for black and white Africans to put past differences behind them and work towards ensuring a mutual future.

The Dogs of War lives on my vid shelf right next to TWG. Not only is that also a cool merc flick (with Christpoher Walken) but it's also one of Frederick Forsythe's typical step-by-step tutorials on how to go about something - in this case toppling a tinpot African dictator.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 6:08 pm

Battle Beyond the Stars (1980)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080421/

Ronin (1998)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122690/

Flesh+Blood (1985)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089153/

and 2 with that old chap, Sir Sean:

The Man Who Would Be King (1975)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073341/

Cuba (1979)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079013/
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 7:00 pm

I considered mentioning Battle Beyond the Stars, but as it was a tongue-in-cheek attempt by Roger Corman to siphon off some Star Wars revenue I left it out.

True, The Man Who Would Be King starts out to be about two soldiers of fortune, but it becomes so much more epic than that once they reach Sikandergul. Still a favorite, though.

Wot I like are films of rescue and escape, involving a team whose members you come to care about (before they start getting picked off), which is why I included Uncommon Valour and left out Rambo and Braddock. I would like to include Where Eagles Dare, except - like the Devil's Brigade - the team were not mercs but soldiers.

As much as I love Predator and Die Hard 2, I'm afraid they don't quite fit the category either.

Well, maybe Predator...
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Licence To Kill

;)
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyWed May 09, 2012 2:27 am

It's nailed right up front with THE WILD GEESE and THE PROFESSIONALS. Reginald Rose and Richard Brooks writing, that's a lot of it right there, and the casting is terrific too.

I kinda don't think you could make one anymore, because it would all be young-folked up and made by people who probably have never held anything more deadly than a paintball pistol, or seen real violence.

Kind of like the difference between writing for TOS & moderntrek.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptySun May 13, 2012 5:05 am

The trailer for Richard Lester's Cuba with Sir Sean Connery

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1KF7DP3J/Cuba.VOB_links

The trailer for Paul Verhoeven's Flesh + Blood

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/V5OQ5B1V/Flesh___Blood.VOB_links
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptySun May 13, 2012 11:55 am

Ronin should have been a 007 flic, with 007 in the de Niro part, with virtualy no rewrite but straight actioner as it is. It would have easily been one of the best ever.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 9:03 pm

Lethal Weapon

laugh
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 10:40 pm

trevanian wrote:

I kinda don't think you could make one anymore, because it would all be young-folked up and made by people who probably have never held anything more deadly than a paintball pistol, or seen real violence.

Cue The Expendables.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyWed May 16, 2012 12:44 am

Never had any interest in it, just based on Stallone being creatively involved.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyWed May 16, 2012 9:00 pm

Does anyone knows the name of the song that starts at 17 seconds here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=E792CwvJK5U#!

There are no songs credited in the movie's end credit.

Thanks.

Last edited by j7wild on Wed May 16, 2012 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyWed May 16, 2012 9:03 pm

Bad link, j7.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyWed May 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Fixed the link I believe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E792CwvJK5U
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyWed May 16, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks White Tuxedo.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyWed May 16, 2012 10:46 pm

I've got no idea. It's like that other song Tux posted a link to a while back. Generic 80s pop rock.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 12:31 am

Sharky wrote:
I've got no idea. It's like that other song Tux posted a link to a while back. Generic 80s pop rock.

Which one was that?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 12:33 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Sharky wrote:

Which one was that?

Some old guy (I believe an alien in disguise) driving a red sports car.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 4:20 am

Must be THE HIDDEN (old guy was a regular supporting player on ADAM-12.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Best merc movies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best merc movies?   Best merc movies? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best merc movies?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next