More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Two questions about Goldeneye

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

Two questions about Goldeneye Empty
PostSubject: Two questions about Goldeneye   Two questions about Goldeneye EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 8:30 pm

1)I'm watching Goldeneye in this moment (on TV, not on DVD) and I've seen the words "Nine years later" after the song (in english, despite being the movie in italian), before the... car chase. In two years I've seen Goldeneye about 10 times and I've never noticed those words.
I remember I've even read somewhere something like "According to the movie it is unknown how much time passed between the intro and the whole movie, but if the novel is right, it's been 9 years". And I knew, even too well (the day after watching the movie I read it on wikipedia), that it was a 9 year gap.
So... were the words added in a next version?

2) What happened in the six years gap between Licence To Kill and Goldeneye? We know that at the beginning of 90s ('92, if I'm correct) that Bond met up with Paris Carver, but what else?
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Two questions about Goldeneye   Two questions about Goldeneye EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 10:05 pm

The nine years subtitle has always been there, so yes. As for what happened to Bond within that time, who knows? I like that they don't dwell too much with what happened with Bond during those years, he's just moving on.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Two questions about Goldeneye   Two questions about Goldeneye EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 11:11 pm

Walecs wrote:
1)I'm watching Goldeneye in this moment (on TV, not on DVD) and I've seen the words "Nine years later" after the song (in english, despite being the movie in italian), before the... car chase. In two years I've seen Goldeneye about 10 times and I've never noticed those words.
I remember I've even read somewhere something like "According to the movie it is unknown how much time passed between the intro and the whole movie, but if the novel is right, it's been 9 years". And I knew, even too well (the day after watching the movie I read it on wikipedia), that it was a 9 year gap.
So... were the words added in a next version?

2) What happened in the six years gap between Licence To Kill and Goldeneye? We know that at the beginning of 90s ('92, if I'm correct) that Bond met up with Paris Carver, but what else?

Goldeneye properly begins in 1995, with a title card that tells the audience that this current drive in the country takes place 9 years after the death of Alec. But what it also does is bring "Closure" to the story of Brosnan being hired to play 007 and then be forced not to; he was so close and lost it ("You'll never know what it feels to get so close and be denied.). From 1986 the timeline splits into 2 and takes a viewer on two different Bond adventures. Both timelines exist in their own universe and are self-contained. No information gotten in one timeline bleeds over into the other timeline.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Two questions about Goldeneye   Two questions about Goldeneye EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 4:25 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
From 1986 the timeline splits into 2 and takes a viewer on two different Bond adventures. Both timelines exist in their own universe and are self-contained. No information gotten in one timeline bleeds over into the other timeline.
?
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Two questions about Goldeneye   Two questions about Goldeneye EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 5:23 am

Some Bond fans believe that the "nine years later" subtitle is basically EON erasing the entire Dalton era from the timeline.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Two questions about Goldeneye   Two questions about Goldeneye EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 4:52 pm

Python wrote:
Some Bond fans believe that the "nine years later" subtitle is basically EON erasing the entire Dalton era from the timeline.
...Whereas others believe that the Archangel mission had to take place in the last days of the Soviet empire, but before Bond came to a personal 'detente' with General Pushkin. Moreover the apparent death of Alec Trevelyan goes a long way towards explaining why Bond was so moody and disgusted with 'wet' ops like shooting snipers. The passage of time also explains why Bond is more chipper in Monte Carlo, as he is no longer brooding over the deaths of 006 and Della Leiter. So it seems to me that GE's PTS prefaces Bond's experiences in Bratislava, Afghanistan and Isthmus, rather than erases them.

At least, that's the way I've always seen it.

Of course, I could always be wrong...
Back to top Go down
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: Two questions about Goldeneye   Two questions about Goldeneye EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 5:04 pm

^ I agree with this theory.
Back to top Go down
KingCobra686
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
KingCobra686

PostSubject: Re: Two questions about Goldeneye   Two questions about Goldeneye EmptyFri Feb 24, 2017 1:20 am

Dont forget that Goldeneye was Brosnan's first movie, and a lot of this stuff was part of his introduction into the franchise. The title song shows imagery of the USSR falling and later in the movie at the meeting with 006 we see all the broken statues. I think part of the intent of that was to show that theres a "New Bond" and theres a "New World" to go along with him, in regards to villains. We still got the evil Russian general, but one that is Post-USSR-Collapse.

The nine years also makes it more credible that Bond would have moved on from 006's death and dealth with it, and that 006 would have organized his Janus crime ring, or whatever it was that he was involved in. If this movie had been a continuous string of events, it would have been a day or two between 006's fake death and his real one, with no time in between to plan Goldeneye hijacks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two questions about Goldeneye   Two questions about Goldeneye Empty

Back to top Go down

Two questions about Goldeneye
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: GoldenEye (1995)-
Jump to: