More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Dream Double Features

Go down 
+9
tiffanywint
Makeshift Python
The White Tuxedo
Largo's Shark
Control
Harmsway
Salomé
trevanian
00Twelve
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Dream Double Features - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 3:00 am

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (78) and JOHN CARPENTER'S THE THING would be good.

SUPERMAN and....... I'll have to think on that. I was tempted to say WRATH OF KHAN, but I've seen that one on the big screen. But I'd LOVE to see SUPERMAN that way.

ROSEMARY'S BABY and CARRIE. Have I said that one yet?

RIO BRAVO and THE WILD BUNCH.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 4:02 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
I
SUPERMAN and....... I'll have to think on that. I was tempted to say WRATH OF KHAN, but I've seen that one on the big screen. But I'd LOVE to see SUPERMAN that way.

Mentioning KHAN made me think of that and CAPTAIN HORATIO HORNBLOWER, especially since folks always compare KHAN wtih MASTER & COMMANDER (which I've still never seen, just because Crowe seems to be in a segue, between resembling David Morse and his Elton John phase, from clips.)

I've never understood how Peck failed to deliver that character, because the man, for all his talent, had a limited range, and Horatio should have been right in his wheelhouse. But he has never convinced me. Interesting way they did the film, the first 2/3 of it is Forester's first book, (BEAT TO COLORS?) and then the next two books get crammed into the last third.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 4:36 am

MASTER AND COMMANDER was good from what I recall.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 6:12 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:

ROSEMARY'S BABY and CARRIE. Have I said that one yet?

Funny, I tried doing that with a friend tonight, but we felt too tired for a second flick.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
00Twelve
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
00Twelve

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:56 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (78) and JOHN CARPENTER'S THE THING would be good.
It'd be fantastic. Triple feature with ALIEN would be the be-all-end-all scary scifi trifecta.

The White Tuxedo wrote:
MASTER AND COMMANDER was good from what I recall.
Yes, it's very good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.felixleiter.com
Tubes
Q Branch
Q Branch
Tubes

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 4:40 pm

They are related for obvious reasons, but I enjoyed watching ROBOCOP and TOTAL RECALL back to back. Hyper-violent late 80's action satires.

One of these days I'm going to watch DARK CITY and THE MATRIX back to back.
Back to top Go down
00Twelve
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
00Twelve

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 10:05 pm

Tubes wrote:
They are related for obvious reasons, but I enjoyed watching ROBOCOP and TOTAL RECALL back to back. Hyper-violent late 80's action satires.
If I was going to watch any two Verhoeven flicks together, those would be the most fun to me, the ideal double feature.

Thinking about a voyeuristic double feature of REAR WINDOW and FOLLOWING.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 1:26 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
I'd have to think on this.

A double feature I would love to see would be my two favorite films: ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST and CHINATOWN.

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY is a must, but I'm not sure what film I'd pair it with. Maybe BLADE RUNNER, but which version?

Next Halloween I would love to see THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH and THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE HUNTERS.

With the big titan directors one can only pair with the next film. 2001 ideally would be followed by Clockwork Orange which would be like an invigorating tonic that brings one down back to earth. Leone can only be paired with Leone as many screenings I've seen testify.

I would love to see classic horror double/triple bills of the universals, Hammers and Corman/Price films. Even in incorrect order, like the double I saw ofThe Mummy and Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man

Salomé wrote:
The Big Heat and Kiss Me Deadly
Nice nihilism!

00Twelve wrote:

I'd probably pair 2001 with SOLARIS.
That could work, but would be very heavy.

Quote :
Also, THE THIRD MAN with TOUCH OF EVIL.

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Last, but not least, ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS and OUT OF THE PAST. Two films I never tire of, and would love to see with a big, appreciative, audience.

The best double I've ever seen was Out of the Past followed by Touch of Evil. The definitive noir followed by Welles. Magical.

Just a few I'd like to see:
Batman+Returns
Mad Max+the Road Warrior
Lethal Weapon+2
Frankenstein+Bride
Kane+Casablanca
Kane+The Third Man
The 39 Steps+The Lady Vanishes
Foreign Correspondent+Saboteur
Notorious+Rope

Back to top Go down
00Twelve
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
00Twelve

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 3:10 pm

hegottheboot wrote:
00Twelve wrote:

I'd probably pair 2001 with SOLARIS.
That could work, but would be very heavy.
Yeah, I'm a masochist that way.

hegottheboot wrote:

Mad Max+the Road Warrior
Lethal Weapon+2
I'd like to see THE ROAD WARRIOR with BOOK OF ELI, just to contrast how different eras took on post-apocalyptic wasteland actioners.

Also, I'd run a LETHAL WEAPON / DIE HARD double feature, and if time permitted, a triple feature including LICENCE TO KILL, just to demonstrate how hard EON wanted to compete with the former two films.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 5:09 pm

Or perhaps a Michael Kamen festival? :face:
Back to top Go down
00Twelve
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
00Twelve

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 5:27 pm

See, there you go. ;)
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Here's what I think are the great Bond double-bills.

The best I think is TB and YOLT. It doesn't get any bigger than this. In TB we are fully exposed to Spectre in all its operative glory. In YOLT, Spectre is back, bigger than ever, but this time Bond journeys to the devil's lair and confronts the demon himself.

It's the ultimate big-budget 007 vs Spectre extravaganza.

==OHMSS and DAF

More high adventure,Bond vs Blofeld, back to back. DAF works surprisingly well off the back of OHMSS, IMO. We know quite well why Bond is on the rampage in search of Blofeld. "Welcome to Hell Blofeld" ties up that bit of revenge (at least in the short term) and allows for the transition into a modern take on Fleming's diamond smuggling adventure, with a re-invigorated Connery, guiding us through what I think can also be seen as a grand homage to the classic-era that concluded with the previous film.

==LALD and TMWTGG

The two original Moore Bonds, both directed by Guy Hamilton, the second made within a year and a half of the first. Both films have a similar camp but dark vibe, much like DAF, courtesy Hamilton's stylistic touches. Both extrapolate from Fleming source material, moreso LALD, but TMWTGG does at least present the Bond vs Scaramange scenario with Goodnight along for the ride. The presence of Clifton James as Sheriff Pepper provides continuity.

All three of these double-dips were marketed to theatres back in the day, by Eon. I think the TB/YOLT double-bill, went over partcularly well.

I like to throw these classic pairings on the home screen from time to time.

CR and QoS might work as a more contemporary double-dip as well. I did see it as a pairing at a rep theatre, in early 2009, although back-to-back the two films really didn't complement each other well. They are jarringly differnt films, in terms of tone and pace, but they can work as an odd-ball pairing to play-out the Vesper saga, even if the two stories are drawn on starkly different canvases.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 7:29 am

The best 007 doubles are those of like mindedness or time period.
Hence:
DN-FRWL
GF-TB
TB-YOLT
LALD-TMWTGG
TSWLM-MR
TLD-LTK
GE-TND

or:
GF-TSWLM, TB-MR etc.

I'll admit besides the LALD-TMWTGG one, which would probably be my dream feature-I would kill to see the Dalton double, especially after sitting through SKYFAIL.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 9:48 pm

I don't think Skyfail can be paired with any Bond-film (and I have managed regretfully to see it) It's a psycho-drama unlike any of the other films. I can't even rank it with the other Bond films. It's on an island by itself, much like Silva's island. I can't even consider it best or worst. It's just something else.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 2:44 am

I don't think revisiting SF will change that either. It is its own thing, for better or worse. To me this is as far from Bond as ZORRO THE GAY BLADE was from Guy Williams.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 2:55 am

trevanian wrote:
I don't think revisiting SF will change that either. It is its own thing, for better or worse. To me this is as far from Bond as ZORRO THE GAY BLADE was from Guy Williams.

The SF resistance/indifference movement is a lonely place. I wish it all the best at the Oscars though. Dream Double Features - Page 3 3012860531
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dream Double Features   Dream Double Features - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dream Double Features
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3