More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Worthwhile Continuation Novels?

Go down 
+3
Fairbairn-Sykes
Hilly
Control
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Worthwhile Continuation Novels? Empty
PostSubject: Worthwhile Continuation Novels?   Worthwhile Continuation Novels? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 11:02 pm

I haven't read any of the continuation novels, but have heard plenty of bad things about them. I've read bits of Deaver's book, but didn't like it. I saw a hardcover edition of Faulk's novel on a book shelf for $1.99 a few months back and never bothered picking it up. laugh

Could any of you recommend some of the best continuation novels to me? I'd like to at least give a few of them a try.

Last edited by Control on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Worthwhile Continuation Novels?   Worthwhile Continuation Novels? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 11:43 pm

The first couple of Gardner's perhaps. Licence Revoked, For Special Services and Icebreaker.

I've only read Zero Minus Ten of Benson's (well, TND novelisation too) but Gardner is who I'd stick to. I read them as a kid in and around the Fleming's which probably didn't help. Deaver's is a man named Bond and could be anything. Faulks is a mess or at least one for me.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Worthwhile Continuation Novels?   Worthwhile Continuation Novels? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 12:10 am

Colonel Sun by Kingsley Amis and The Authorised Biography by Pearson
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Worthwhile Continuation Novels?   Worthwhile Continuation Novels? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 12:34 am

Real question should be "are there any worthwhile continuation novels?".
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Worthwhile Continuation Novels?   Worthwhile Continuation Novels? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 12:46 am

Yeah, basically.

Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Worthwhile Continuation Novels?   Worthwhile Continuation Novels? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 2:13 am

COLONEL SUN.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Worthwhile Continuation Novels?   Worthwhile Continuation Novels? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 4:44 am

Colonel Sun is quite good. Although it plods a bit, actually a lot, compared to Fleming, but it's still quite good.

The best of the bunch is Pearson's Authorized Biography, 1973, although it's an alternative Bondverse, but then Fleming did kind of tease the concept with his OBIT reference to a "a series of popular books came to be written around him by a personal friend and former colleague of James Bond (hmm, Bond and Fleming were actual friends). If the quality of these books, or their degree of veracity, had been any higher,(if I, Fleming, do say so myself),the author certainly would have been prosecuted under the Official Secrets Act."

OK then. Pearson though, takes this concept and runs with it. We get to meet the "real" James Bond.

Otherwise I'd say the 14 Gardner books are quite readable. You'll have plenty of fun ploughing through those. Lots of new villains, girls and guns.

Deaver's book is the worst. It should be burned.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Worthwhile Continuation Novels?   Worthwhile Continuation Novels? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Colonel Sun

Licence Renewed
Icebreaker
Nobody Lives For Ever
Scorpius
Win, Lose or Die
Brokenclaw

Zero Minus Ten
High Time to Kill

(IMCO, of course).
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Worthwhile Continuation Novels?   Worthwhile Continuation Novels? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:50 pm

I do like all the Gardner books. They would be fun to re-read in order again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worthwhile Continuation Novels?   Worthwhile Continuation Novels? Empty

Back to top Go down

Worthwhile Continuation Novels?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Literary Bond-
Jump to: