More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Dexter TV series - any fans on here?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Dexter TV series - any fans on here? Empty
PostSubject: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 6:19 pm

Are there any fans of the CSI serial killer series Dexter on here at all?

I've been thinking about getting the Dexter Season 1-5 Boxset on Amazon recently - would it be a good buy, do you think?
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:22 pm

I've sat through every season of Dexter and I'd say no, it's not a good buy. The first and fourth seasons are the only seasons worth a damn. Seasons two and three are just OK and five is an outright bore.

Once you get to them, season six is an abomination and seven is a bit of a mixed bag.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks for your insightful comments!

Any other fans of Dexter on here?
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 9:59 pm

I've watched the first 5 seasons all the way through and found each of interest and worth my time, but haven't really thought about buying them. There are bits that would certainly merit rewatching, but I wouldn't commit to rewatching any whole season.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 10:02 pm

Is it really extreme and bloody or is it more darkly comic?
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 10:35 pm

Both. Grand Guignol, but w/ a funny voiceover, probably hoping for AlexTheDroog/Clockwork Orange, occasionally hitting that level.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 2:52 pm

trevanian wrote:
Both. Grand Guignol, but w/ a funny voiceover, probably hoping for AlexTheDroog/Clockwork Orange, occasionally hitting that level.

Thanks again, sounds very intriguing. I think I'm right in saying that it was originally shown on Channel 5 here in the UK, although as I say I've not ever seen it.

I'm on a bit of a serial killer genre kick at the moment, hence my interest in Dexter, plus I just love boxsets!

Last edited by SILHOUETTE MAN on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 6:16 pm

Just went and bought it all on Amazon.com

Don't know whether I was wise or not!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 12:49 pm

I've heard a woman describe this show as a serial killer who goes out to kill other serial killers. A serial killer of serial killers - wouldf this be a fair (or overly simplistioc view of this TV series). Almost sounds a bit like James Bond, doesn't it? (shades of Bond's speech in TMWTGG film - "Those whom I kill are themselves killers")

Last edited by SILHOUETTE MAN on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 1:17 pm

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
trevanian wrote:

Thanks again, sounds very intriguing. I think I'm right in saying that it was originally shown on Channel 5 here in the UK, althoufgh as I say I've not ever seen it.

I'm on a bit of a serial killer genre kick at the moment, hence my interest in Dexter, plus I just love boxsets!

ITV1 showed the first 2 seasons, then FX swooped in waving more money around and that was it gone from terrestrial UK television. I bought and enjoyed the Season 3 boxset, but that's as far as I've seen.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 9:22 pm

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
I've heard a woman describe this show as a serial killer who goes out to kill other serial killers. A serial killer of serial killers - wouldf this be a fai9r (or overly simplistioc view of this TV series). Almost sounds a bit like James Bond, doesn't it? (shades of Bond's speech in TMWTGG film - "Those whom I kill are themselves killers")
Except James Bond is legally entitled to kill. And doesn't carve his victims up.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 3:34 am

Jack Wade wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
I've heard a woman describe this show as a serial killer who goes out to kill other serial killers. A serial killer of serial killers - wouldf this be a fai9r (or overly simplistioc view of this TV series). Almost sounds a bit like James Bond, doesn't it? (shades of Bond's speech in TMWTGG film - "Those whom I kill are themselves killers")
Except James Bond is legally entitled to kill. And doesn't carve his victims up.

Well you could say a soldier is legally entitled to kill, too, but that wouldn't excuse a lot of what soldiers do. And it doesn't deal with the ethics of killing, or the justice involved in some killings. Being legally entitled to kill shouldn't affect the ethics of the subject, except maybe to call into question the government giving a legal authorization to kill, as opposed to just hiring out a hit to an outsider so there is no traceability.

After I'm dead, I seriously doubt I will care if somebody carves me up (or hides my body in a dumpster.)

I think Dexter really lets his victims off pretty lightly in the torture department; a slice on the face and then to work? I much prefer the revenge in the KINGPIN series, where the main guy's brother spends what seems like days torturing the guy who caused him to be beat up & gangbanged ... blowtorch action, lots of sharp implements, all while the guy is hanging there, only able to scream and thrash. (the guy really deserved it too.)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 2:21 pm

trevanian wrote:
Jack Wade wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:

Well you could say a soldier is legally entitled to kill, too, but that wouldn't excuse a lot of what soldiers do. And it doesn't deal with the ethics of killing, or the justice involved in some killings. Being legally entitled to kill shouldn't affect the ethics of the subject, except maybe to call into question the government giving a legal authorization to kill, as opposed to just hiring out a hit to an outsider so there is no traceability.

After I'm dead, I seriously doubt I will care if somebody carves me up (or hides my body in a dumpster.)

I think Dexter really lets his victims off pretty lightly in the torture department; a slice on the face and then to work? I much prefer the revenge in the KINGPIN series, where the main guy's brother spends what seems like days torturing the guy who caused him to be beat up & gangbanged ... blowtorch action, lots of sharp implements, all while the guy is hanging there, only able to scream and thrash. (the guy really deserved it too.)

Yes, and the ill-treatment of Iraqi and Afghan civilians ias testament to this. It is not a carte blanche to go out and murder and torture who you like. See the recent case of the killing of Baha Mousa in 2003 by Allied soldiers.

See my 'James Bond as a serial killer' thread by my alter-ego Dragonpol here on the MI6 Community forums for more details on this (controversial) subject:

http://mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5082/james-bond-as-a-serial-killer

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 4:23 pm

Anyone here heard of Gandhi's "an eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind" (or words to that effect)?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 4:47 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
Anyone here heard of Gandhi's "an eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind" (or words to that effect)?

Yes, I have and it's really not bad advice!
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2022 1:38 am

Not to necromancer this thread, but have been rewatching DEXTER and am really surprised at how good most of it is. We found the revival to be just pretty good, but remembered seasons 1 & 4 as winners. Turns out we LOVE 1 through 3 and like 4 & 5. 6 is weighed down by the stunningly inept work (if you want to call it that) of Colin Hanks, who by comparison makes jello seem charismatic, but the regulars do great work anyway. With misgivings, are going to keep watching last 2 seasons, even though I'm pretty sure it is mostly character assassination ... my wife and I both think this second time through that it is really more The Debra Morgan show than DEXTER ... am really surprised this Carpenter woman didn't get work from this (outside of horrorflicks I guess.) In fact, I don't recall seeing any of the supporting cast in anything else (and I haven't seen 6 FEET UNDER so I don't know the main guy from anything else either, although I keep thinking he should be playing Bourne's Brother for the occasional Matt Damon vibe from some angles. Am also thinking he might have been a decent Captain Kirk if they had recast him as a grownup instead of what JJ did with the reboot.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dexter TV series - any fans on here?   Dexter TV series - any fans on here? Empty

Back to top Go down

Dexter TV series - any fans on here?
Page 1 of 1