More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?  Empty
PostSubject: Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?    Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?  EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Do we here at BaB consider John Gardner's Scorpius (1988) to be one of his more prescient James Bond novels? After all, it is the novel which features a suicide bomber plotline, years ahead of Al-Queada suicide bombing insurgency attacks in war-torn Afghanistan and Iraq from 2001-present. The Father Valentine front also referred to the televangelism scandals of the late 1980s, as did the character of Professor Joe Butcher in the following year's Licence to Kill (1989) James Bond film (of which Gardner also wrote the novelisation, of course).

What to make of this review by 'Blue Pencil' on You Tube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCFGRlqrbiw

Interesting nonetheless!

See this John Gardner overview here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA3vaqOdnws

Back to top Go down
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?    Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?  EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Haven't read Scorpion, I'm listening to The Spy Who Loved Me's.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?    Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?  EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Anyone else out there read Scorpius and would like to comment on it. I've recently uncovered a lot about its "secret history" and would love to hear your views on this novel.

Thanks,

SILHOUETTE MAN.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?    Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?  EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Picked up 6 (for the not-exactly-princely sum of £10 for the lot) of the 2012 reprints of Gardner's Bonds back in October, and Scorpius is one of 'em ... am currently working my way through Nobody Lives Forever, though. Sorry, SM.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?    Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?  EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Picked up 6 (for the not-exactly-princely sum of £10 for the lot) of the 2012 reprints of Gardner's Bonds back in October, and Scorpius is one of 'em ... am currently working my way through Nobody Lives Forever, though. Sorry, SM.

Oh, that's OK, BI. Let me know your thoughts when you get it read in full.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?    Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?  EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 11:54 pm

I will ... dunno when that might be, though (my 'to read' pile is fairly hefty). The other 4 are Licence To Kill, Win Lose Or Die, The Man From Barbarossa and Death Is Forever.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?    Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?  EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
I will ... dunno when that might be, though (my 'to read' pile is fairly hefty). The other 4 are Licence To Kill, Win Lose Or Die, The Man From Barbarossa and Death Is Forever.

Yes, I got those in The Works too, some time ago. I'm in the process of writing some new reviews on Gardner's James Bond novels and so I like to hear a sample of fan opinion on them. There's no rush, it's just that I've found a wealth of new material on the backgrouund of Scorpius that I want to share with the wider James Bond fan community.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?    Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?  EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 12:15 am

Must say I like how NLF has kicked off, with Bond on leave but made uneasy by the series of violent events happening around him that he instinctively knows aren't mere coincidences.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?    Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorpius (1988) by John Gardner - The Most Prescient James Bond Novel?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Literary Bond-
Jump to: