More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever Empty
PostSubject: James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever   James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 7:25 am

Great read this is, published 2006.
From the Amazon blurb:The latest volume in the Popular Culture and Philosophy series. The contributors, professional philosophers, ask us
to look at 007 as Kierkegaard's "seducer," a man who lives "purely at the
aesthetic level of existence"; or as one of Plato's three archetypes
(specifically the Guardian, a man ruled by honor, glory, and competitiveness). The writers also look at the superspy's reasoning, objectification of women, and notions of retribution. The book is written for the lay reader--both in terms of philosophy and Bond knowledge (though a little familiarity with 007 lore helps).
Fortunately, the contributors explain their philosophical terms clearly and
without appearing to be dumbing anything down.

I thoroughly enjoyed this read. 320 pages, 15 learned essays. It's a little heady. It's not dumbed down at all. Lots of Bond knowledge is actually a real bonus.

James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever 51-GHdT-0YL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_
I've now moved on to The Rolling Stones and Philosophy: It's Just A Thought Away, published 2012.
The philosophical pretentions of both Bond and the Stones. I'm a very contented reader right about now

"As a philospher Keith Richards is a very good guitar player." A little intro warning, just so we don't get too carried away. Still the contributors find much philosophical heft to discuss, vis-a-vis the world's greatest rock n' roll band. Who knew?
Back to top Go down
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever   James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 4:36 pm

I want to buy this.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever   James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:14 pm

Walecs wrote:
I want to buy this.

It's a great read. The writers do know their Bond, both Fleming and films, and they are all lettered philosophy profs, well versed in Plato and friends. I particularly liked the essay which referenced Locke extensively, regarding the morality of Bond's execution of his license to kill. The license was found to hold up to rigorous intellectual scrutiny.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever   James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Sounds like my kind of book...
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever   James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:39 pm

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Sounds like my kind of book...
Yes, a learned Bondologist such as yourself would be right at home. :study:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever   James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever Empty

Back to top Go down

James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Literary Bond-
Jump to: