More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

New Order

Go down 
+3
Salomé
bitchcraft
Largo's Shark
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

New Order Empty
PostSubject: New Order   New Order EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 1:59 am

Revisited THE MOVEMENT this evening. Interesting translational album between CLOSER and POWER, CORRUPTION & LIES.

Love those terrifying filtered noise blasts in In A Lonely Place. Who's synth was that? Bernard Sumner or Stephen Morris?

How did Martin Hannett get that stark industrial sound? I know Peter Hook tried to diminish his influence on Joy Division and New Order, but I wager he was the mastermind behind the classic sound.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 8:48 am

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
The album's called Movement (no definite article despite New Order's Di Canio tendencies).

Largo's Shark wrote:
Who's synth was that?

Erica Ambler wrote:
It's 'whose' not 'who's'. 'Who's' is short for 'who is.' Understanding the difference between a contraction and possessive noun is pretty basic stuff though hardly anyone under 30 seems to get it. Fortunately, The Chicago Manual of Style will teach you all the stuff that a British state education ranks as less important than Mary Seacole.

Cut the imperious tone, for fuck's sake. We all make spelling and grammatical errors at 1:50 AM on a Sunday morning. We can't all be Erica Ambler 3000s.

And yes, I'm fully aware of your abhorrence of the editorial we. That's why I'm using it.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 4:05 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 4:14 pm

I'm always grateful for your insight. You just don't have to slip in the pedantry as well. For example, I don't go about smiting you for the countless slip-ups you've made when posting from your iPhone.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 4:23 pm

x

Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 5:33 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
It's not pedantry; the English language matters to me.

Clemency is not your middle name, remember, it's weekend, he's drunk, he's typing on his phone...

If Santa or Oppers make typos you would not bark at them because they have fallopian tubes ☀

Can someone direct me to a good remix of Morning Sun? I think that's New Order but I'm not sure...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 5:38 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 5:56 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 6:01 pm

Ah that's it....,thanks, I didn't know the remix was named True Faith.

Grabbing a listen now...will look for a 320k MP3 next
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 6:04 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
No, it's the original that's called True Faith, though I'm with you - Morning Sun would have been a much better title.

PM for a good link...Oakenfold usually has some good remixes (case in point - Duran Duran's Out of my mind)

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
If Santa or Oppers make typos you would not bark at them because they have fallopian tubes ☀

Actually, Oppers probably remembers me giving her a similar lecture on MI6. She certainly hasn't opened her legs for me since.

You're right though, it all comes down to the three Ws - women, whisky and Wave.

I seem to have developed a lisp.

As I recall, it revolved around my confusion of the possessive pronoun "its" with "it's".
In your defense, I have rarely made the mistake again since that talking to.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 11:41 pm

I've been a massive fan of The New Order (see what I did there?) for more than twenty years but for some strange reason have never bought Movement or even been arsed to listen to it all the way through. Bizarrely, I'm just not interested in it, although I love their early singles ("Ceremony" is one of their all-time best, as is "Temptation", although I prefer the re-recorded versions of those songs that surfaced on 1987's Substance) and also love Joy Division. I've owned all of New Order's other albums, though, and even stumped up for most of the compilations.

Their best album? Substance, hands down, although if we're restricting it to proper studio albums, then it's probably Technique, although a good case could be made for Power, Corruption & Lies. Low-Life might also be up there had it included the full-length versions of "Perfect Kiss" and "Elegia". Get Ready is also something of a gem, as is this year's Lost Sirens.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 12:07 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
How did Martin Hannett get that stark industrial sound? I know Peter Hook tried to diminish his influence on Joy Division and New Order, but I wager he was the mastermind behind the classic sound.

If you like Hannett you should check out Happy Mondays' 1988 album Bummed, which he produced, although it has nothing of the Joy Division/New Order sound. As with Unknown Pleasures, the production virtually makes the album.

Much more Joy Divisionish are some tracks that Hannett produced for The Stone Roses in the mid 1980s, including their debut single "So Young". Excluding said single and its B-side, "Tell Me", these tracks remained unreleased until 1996, when they were issued as a compilation entitled Garage Flower. They showcase a much harder, angrier and punkier sound for The Stone Roses than the softer and slightly psychedelic 1960s-flavoured guitar pop with which they broke through to the mainstream in 1989. The likes of "Fall" and "Trust a Fox" are a pretty far cry from the later "Waterfall" and "Fools Gold" (although I like both Roses eras, and indeed all Roses eras).
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 11:31 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
I'm always grateful for your insight. You just don't have to slip in the pedantry as well. For example, I don't go about smiting you for the countless slip-ups you've made when posting from your iPhone.

Erica Ambler wrote:

As for the IPhone, please post the countless slip-ups for my edification. If I'm doing it to you then I might be doing it to someone important and that would be a bore.

Isn't it about time you two had some hot and dirty make-up sex?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 11:44 am

x

Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
No, it's the original that's called True Faith, though I'm with you - Morning Sun would have been a much better title.

I disagree. It would have been a much more obvious title, but then again one of the amusing things about New Order/Joy Division is their fondness for song titles that on the face of it appear to have bugger-all relevance to the actual songs. Besides, they already did a song called "Sunrise".

Interesting that you interviewed Hannett. I presume you'd get rather more people interested in it today. I wouldn't mind reading it if you still have it to hand - would you be able to post it in this thread?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 6:11 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 7:17 pm

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/do-we-really-want-new-music-from-new-order
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 12:39 am

Currently reading Peter Hook's Unknown Pleasures: Inside Joy Division. Interesting and informative (not only about Joy Division but also about what life in a band can be like and what life in a band in the 1970s was like), deeply personal and moving (for obvious reasons), and frequently sidesplittingly funny, this book is an absolute must and hopefully Hooky will also do one about New Order. I'd also recommend his first book, The Hacienda: How Not to Run a Club.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 12:44 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 4:10 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 1:30 am

x

Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 1:51 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Music Complete is just out and, two listens in, seems to be a remarkable return to form. This and Dr Dre's Compton are the only releases this year that I can see myself returning to. Pisses all over Lana Del Rey's and Duran's pointless retreads.

The Duran pointles re-tread is filling 10,000+ attendance venues in the USA and just got them a Top 10 album. Heathen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Order Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Order   New Order Empty

Back to top Go down

New Order
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Music-
Jump to: