More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"

Go down 
+5
trevanian
The White Tuxedo
Fairbairn-Sykes
Makeshift Python
Salomé
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" Empty
PostSubject: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 5:51 pm

Quote :
"It's a very depressing picture. With alternative cinema – any sort of cinema that isn't mainstream – you're fresh out of luck in terms of getting theatre space and having people come to see it. Even if I had a big idea, the world is different now," the filmmaker recently told The Independent. "Unfortunately, my ideas are not what you'd call commercial, and money really drives the boat these days. So I don't know what my future is. I don't have a clue what I'm going to be able to do in the world of cinema."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/david-lynch-not-optimistic-about-making-another-movie-says-current-state-of-the-industry-is-depressing-20130624

Apologies for the depressing read.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 6:11 pm

It's too bad we might never see another film by Lynch, but the idea of him returning to TV in some form on HBO or another cable network sounds great enough that I don't see a reason to be depressed. As Harms said, the quality of TV has superseded cinema lately.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 7:09 pm

I am not always Lynch's biggest fan, but he is right that TV is where it's at now for creative storytelling.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 8:04 pm

This may be good news for my digestive system - Inland Empire caused me to throw up in back row of The Prince Charles. Fortunately, I was one of only two people in the place and I'm sure the other viewer thought it was a piece of performance art. Which it was, in a way.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 1:49 am

Hell, I'd like to see him do a TV show. The industry is changing, but I don't know if I'd call it entirely depressing if there is still good product. American TV has seen a Renaissance.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 3:22 am

I've tried repeatedly to get through INLAND, which was a blind buy for me (and I thought a sure thing given that I like or love all of his other stuff after ERASERHEAD), but I just can't get anywhere with it.

I think the low-grade video imagery is the biggest hindrance, because to some degree, the medium really IS the message, and in that case, the message is 'to save your eyes, burn me upon receipt.'
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 10:00 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Hell, I'd like to see him do a TV show.  The industry is changing, but I don't know if I'd call it entirely depressing if there is still good product.  American TV has seen a Renaissance.

I believe we are past that point already.

The newer shows are all in what I would call the "B-movie" TV category: The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, The Americans.

The last two shows that I would consider part of the so called Golden Era are Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire (and even Boardwalk is a bit of a stretch).
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 2:17 am

Well, hopefully we'll get some great shows.  It's certainly better than where TV dramas were in the past.  And I think the atmosphere is right for great shows to happen.  In the mean time, to sorta repeat what I just said, the bar is resting higher than it was.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 2:27 am

Documentary filmmaking is where it's at right now, not television.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 2:40 am

Salomé wrote:

The newer shows are all in what I would call the "B-movie" TV category: The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, The Americans.

I'd say The 'Mericans would be lucky to be seen at the same party with those other two. laugh
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 5:17 am

Salomé wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
Hell, I'd like to see him do a TV show.  The industry is changing, but I don't know if I'd call it entirely depressing if there is still good product.  American TV has seen a Renaissance.
I believe we are past that point already.

The last two shows that I would consider part of the so called Golden Era are Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire (and even Boardwalk is a bit of a stretch).
This may be the case as far as network television is concerned, but the TV landscape is still changing quite a bit. It's hard to say what the effects of Netflix's experimentation with television series will lead to, and I've heard it said that many big-name filmmakers are chomping at the bit to work on Netflix projects due to the enormous creative freedom Netflix offers.

Largo's Shark wrote:
Perhaps, but documentary cinema has never really inspired me. I've always been more of a fiction guy than a non-fiction guy, and this applies to my taste in literature as much as it does to my taste in cinema.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 10:00 am

CJB wrote:
Salomé wrote:

I'd say The 'Mericans would be lucky to be seen at the same party with those other two. laugh

They are categorized together because of their similar origins.

Where the quality dramas of the past decade largely recycled the movie genres that had dominated "serious" cinema (mob movies with The Sopranos, westerns with Deadwood, character-driven scifi with BSG), the second wave seems to focus on those genres that were always quite popular just outside of the mainstream (horror movies with The Walking Dead, sword & sorcery with Game of Thrones and spy thrillers with The Americans).
Hence why I would categorize them as B-movie TV.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 10:13 am

As audiences fragment more cable television will become more commercial as they become more competitive. Mad Men probably wouldn't make it past a season were it to premiere today on the same network.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 12:40 pm

This could do with a split into a state of contemporary television drama tread.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 1:14 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:

Perhaps, but documentary cinema has never really inspired me. I've always been more of a fiction guy than a non-fiction guy, and this applies to my taste in literature as much as it does to my taste in cinema.

That's where we differ. I have equal time for both, if the subject matter and handling is compelling enough.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 1:24 am

I'm a little less interested in docs now than in the past, and I think it is because you can just roll endlessly on digital, so catching the right moment is more a matter of endurance than inspired intuition. Somehow that diminishes it for me.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 1:27 am

Talking about docs, I've heard lots of critical praise about THE ACT OF KILLING. Have yet to see it.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 1:31 am

trevanian wrote:
I'm a little less interested in docs now than in the past, and I think it is because you can just roll endlessly on digital, so catching the right moment is more a matter of endurance than inspired intuition. Somehow that diminishes it for me.
Yeah, in a society drenched in digital surveillance--the era of YouTube--documentaries seem less... essential? Maybe that's the wrong word.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 1:35 am

It's not so much the capture itself that interests me, more the sum of the documentary's parts. The bigger picture if you will.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"   David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing" Empty

Back to top Go down

David Lynch Not Optimistic About Making Another Movie, Says Current State Of The Industry Is "Depressing"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: