More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Colonel Sun - disappointed!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jet set willy
'R'
'R'
jet set willy

Colonel Sun - disappointed!! Empty
PostSubject: Colonel Sun - disappointed!!   Colonel Sun - disappointed!! EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 8:12 am

Well, I picked this up and gave it another read while lying by the beach in Cyprus. My thoughts?

The Good
Chapter titles, overall structure, and the characters were all very much Fleming. The plot had a feel of Fleming too, and Amis did a competent job of trying to make it feel like a Fleming novel.

The Bad
We still don't get under Bond's skin like Fleming was able to. Amis hardly ever spends time on Bond's thoughts. We are never treated to any of Bond's cold showers, eating breakfast or what he is about to wear. Instead he focuses on keeping the plot moving - something which the last 2 official Bond novels also fell into the trap of doing.

Colonel Sun himself was quite intriguing as a villain, and I felt a genuine sense of fear when he finally captures Bond, and tells him what he is about to do to him. However, this is all lost after a very harrowing torture scene. Bond very quickly recovers, and springs back into action again - DAD style, which loses all credibility.

And Sun himself seems muddled as a character. On one hand he is telling Bond how much he loves torture, and on the other he tells Bond he is not a barbarian when Bond asks him to shoot the girl quickly. It didn't feel genuine, or plausible. Even Sun's asking Bond's forgiveness seemed a little amateurish in its writing. It didn't really stack up.

Overall I wasn't very impressed actually, and slightly disappointed. No one can write a Bond novel like Fleming could. All the official writers so far have had decent attempts at it, but no one has come even close, mainly because Bond was Fleming. Unless someone can get under the skin of Fleming himself, and what made him tick, then all Bond novels will appear the same - huge emphasis on plot, characters, scenes, action, but not much focus on Bond himself - and this is where they all fail.
Back to top Go down
http://www.filmnav.co.uk
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Colonel Sun - disappointed!!   Colonel Sun - disappointed!! EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 7:48 pm

I was told, after beeing dissapointed by CB and TDMC that CS would actually be worth reading.. I haven't tried it yet and this does put me off a bit tbh..
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Colonel Sun - disappointed!!   Colonel Sun - disappointed!! EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 6:26 am

CS is a great attempt, but I feel like it really loses steam about 2/3rds of the way through, and I feel like the split narrative switching from Bond to the villains and back hurts the pacing and makes the villains seem too far removed from the story for too long.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Colonel Sun - disappointed!!   Colonel Sun - disappointed!! EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 12:22 am

By no means does Amis hit it straight out of the park. But at its best, COLONEL SUN does feel "right" in a way that few other continuation novels do.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Colonel Sun - disappointed!!   Colonel Sun - disappointed!! EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 1:52 pm

Harmsway wrote:
By no means does Amis hit it straight out of the park. But at its best, COLONEL SUN does feel "right" in a way that few other continuation novels do.
Yep.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Colonel Sun - disappointed!!   Colonel Sun - disappointed!! EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 6:50 pm

So it's worth a try?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Colonel Sun - disappointed!!   Colonel Sun - disappointed!! EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Would defintely give it a go. A good autumn read, too.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Colonel Sun - disappointed!!   Colonel Sun - disappointed!! EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks! I always read to and from work (train) and Bond would be a good ditraction from work indeed ;-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Colonel Sun - disappointed!!   Colonel Sun - disappointed!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Colonel Sun - disappointed!!
Page 1 of 1