More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Bond Novel You Read

Go down 
+32
Hilly
Professor Train
Kath
lachesis
Strangways&Quarrel
Xenia93
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Thunderpussy
Moore
Nicolas Suszczyk
Blunt Instrument
Mr Bond
Chief of SIS
Manhunter
Loomis
Harmsway
AMC Hornet
Fairbairn-Sykes
trevanian
Walecs
The White Tuxedo
hegottheboot
Control
CJB
Largo's Shark
Makeshift Python
Gravity's Silhouette
saint mark
tiffanywint
G section
Perilagu Khan
Vesper
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
AuthorMessage
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 12:21 am

I still find it insanely weird and awesome that I can scroll through Facebook and see thatIi'm friends with or connected to Raymond Benson and others of the IFF.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Cor, that's not bad. I should be so lucky. The big name I have is the actor John G. Hertzler.

Speaking of Benson, I was googling for something else and this came up. Someone giving Zero Minus Ten the old Pan treatment.

Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 Zero10
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptySat Jul 04, 2020 7:43 am

Wow that's awesome!

I never heard bad things about Benson's tenure until getting into forums but without a doubt they've got great ideas and the most energy of any Bond related project since....well honestly since the Dalton renaissance.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2020 11:25 am

Am currently reading Gardner's novelisation of Goldeneye ... the differences are interesting such as the 'I'm alone/Aren't we all?' exchange between Alec and Bond being the only bit of dialogue from the pre-credits sequence that's the same, and Bond not having to firefight his way to the runway and fall from a plummeting motorbike into a pilotless plane in order to escape.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2020 5:34 pm

Gardner did this and LTK well, sort of separating it from the film and making them their own entries in the continuation line. Never felt like a straight-up novelisation with extra meat upon the bones.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 10:47 am

It does say 'Based on the screenplay'. I wonder which draft of it Gardner worked from.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 2:05 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
It does say 'Based on the screenplay'. I wonder which draft of it Gardner worked from.

Do you mean to say Gardner worked on the GoldenEye script? blink
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 2:50 pm

Zoinks. That'd be quite something if true.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 11:37 am

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
Blunt Instrument wrote:

Do you mean to say Gardner worked on the GoldenEye script? blink

Ah no, I meant which version of the script he was given from which he produced the novel. I presume that's how it works/worked with adaptations ... if the novelisation is intended to be released around the same time as the film, I guess time pressure means they can't really wait until they have a finalised shooting script to pass along.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 2:46 pm

Ahh. Having read the very comprehensive Some Kind of Hero, I didn't think he did work on the GE script. I imagine he took creative licence in delving deeper into characters and scenes beyond what's necessary for the visual medium. Much like the TND novelisation giving Paris the maiden name of 'McKenna' which I doubt would have made any draft.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 10:59 pm

Gardner's GE is an interesting read and like the other 90's tie ins tough to find. I really appreciated the Natalya backstory which helped me get into her character more. However I found it strange that this had more energy and was a better read than any of his official novels at the time-and had more of a focus on the sex scenes than was typical for him.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2020 5:13 pm

It's not yet being flicked into, but bordering on my recent tradition of OHMSS in December. Ideally it'd be the recent Folio edition but sadly, I don't make enough money.

Anyway. If the film is the Bond Xmas flick, then the book naturally is the Bond Xmas, er, flicker. We all know the ending but still an absolute punch to the gut when it happens.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptySat Dec 12, 2020 4:16 am

Up to Zero Minus Ten in my regular rereads. I'm about 3/4 in.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptySat Dec 12, 2020 11:12 am

Made it as far as the Mah Jong game when I tried to read it, unfortunately Benson doesn't describe it too thrillingly as I recall ... I 'tapped out' and am yet to return.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptySat Dec 12, 2020 10:14 pm

I prefer Zero Minus Ten to what followed bar his novelisations (DAD is not too shabby compared to the film). Was never mad on the one where Draco is the villain.

Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 4:09 am

I like the energy of ZMT but over the years it feels very patchy in spots and only jumps up in segments. The best moments are Bond going into full Bond mode and perhaps best of all is his blasting out of the corrupt General's palace on a side mission for the Triad leader.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 10:27 pm

Those are the best bits indeed. I quite like Bond in the Outback. First time I read it, could feel the heat and thirst.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 6:34 pm

Working into Goldfinger and during Bond's meeting with Smithers, struck by the name "Miss Philby" this time round (someone on the phone to Smithers). Fleming strikes me as someone who considered his names all throughout, not just villains etc, and Philby feels notable.

Two or so years prior to Kim Philby's defection to the USSR, but coming after the stuff in the news about him possibly being one of the Cambridge Five (that infamous press conference at his flat). Fleming likely knew things that the average reader wouldn't have (he still had contacts in the old service by the looks of it right up to his death).

Probably reading much into it but a curious name personally. Philby I don't think was all that common a name really. Filby maybe (Time Machine for example).

Otherwise, the Du Pont scene is quite decent. I guess it wouldn't have looked right in film, having someone from say Dr No pop up at Miami Beach but it's a nice hook into Bond meeting GF for the first time (and how he 'kidnaps' Masterson).
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 10:06 pm

It's been a while since I picked up GF but what do you make of Fleming potentially using the Philby name? To suggest treachery is about with one of the characters or simply to lend an air of intrigue and danger by association to the name?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 10:28 pm

I'm thinking that it could be either reason you suggest. I imagined he had the same view of treachery as Bond (that line in Property of a Lady at Bond's skin crawling being so close to treachery) and as I say he thought his name's out for impact sometimes -Goldfinger, Blofeld, Bunt, Largo etc- so in a nutshell I imagine Philby, even in a paragraph.

This Miss Philby phones Smithers and Smithers gets irritated, maybe we can read more into the lines:

"I'm sure I sent you a note about the summer fixtures, Miss Philby. The next match is on Saturday against the Discount Houses." He listened again. "Well, if Mrs Flake won't play goals, I'm afraid she'll have to stand down. It's the only position on the field we've got for her. Everybody can't play centre forward. Yes, please do. Say I'll be greatly obliged if not this once. I'm sure she'll be very good-right figure and all that. Thank you, Miss Philby."

I assume they're talking about either football or netball (likelier the latter). Assuming Fleming knew the truth about Philby, and this is 1959, it could be a subtle dig. Centre forwards are important in most field. Maybe Mrs Flake is a dig.

I might do some research and see.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 10:44 pm

I went to the recent book on the Philby affair, "A Spy Among Friends" by Ben McIntyre (written with the declassification of documents) and it seems Fleming was in contact with important SIS officers almost till death. It mentions he met Nicholas Elliott (a top officer and best friend of Philby who went to Beirut in '63 to get a confession from Philby and perhaps, it is now suggested, helped him escape to Moscow), in 1960 as SIS in those days kept 'useful people' close. Fleming by the sounds of it though going to Kuwait for work (writing an article or some such) was probably asked by Elliott to do some spying.

Intriguing to think that in the late 50s, Elliott -who seems to have known Fleming quite well- might have said some things about Philby and Fleming used some of it, discreetly. Like Thunderball was influenced by the Crabb affair.

Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2021 10:29 pm

Fascinating. The Nicholas Elliott affair may have been inspiration for Fleming's Octopussy - Bond visiting Smythe and letting him die with dignity instead.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2021 10:49 pm

Quite possibly. Elliott never offered Philby that alternative of course but makes sense for Fleming to give it to Smythe whilst perhaps thinking of Philby.

Delicious historical irony that Philby once in Russia was utterly miserable. He wasn't needed, bit of an embarrassment to the KGB and USSR. They kept him going moneywise and he gave lectures at the KGB academy or whatever it was that trained them but otherwise, nothing. Have to love the USSR's way of doing things. Leech off these people, these traitors and spies, then have a total volte vace at the drop of a hat.

Of course, when he died, proper pomp of a funeral.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 11:02 am

Death Is Forever was decent enough, although having Bond fall in love with the female protagonist (and proclaim same to her) really did seem like Gardner somewhat desperately trying to give her later death a poignancy it didn't deserve.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 7:57 pm

I've only read it the once and that was a couple of years ago so I have no memory of it. The early Gardner's were more solid -Licence Renewed to For Special Services.

-

I finished Goldfinger and always striking that the Hoods and Tilly make it longer in the book than the film but of course, same end. "Poor little bitch. She never did like men."

The segment where Bond muses on sexuality, 'pansies', gays and lesbians would not pass an editor now you suspect. I know people who would find them beyond offensive but as much as it's contrasting to todays tolerance, like anything in the past, you take it in the context of the time and get on with your life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Novel You Read   Last Bond Novel You Read - Page 20 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Bond Novel You Read
Page 20 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next