More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9

Go down 
+35
Makeshift Python
Hilly
Campbell4
Salomé
Largo's Shark
Jack Wade
Blunt Instrument
bitchcraft
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Gravity's Silhouette
boldfinger
Carruthers
Xenia93
Vesper
Moore
Ravenstone
Prisoner Monkeys
General Yuskovich
dr. strangelove
CJB
Tubes
trevanian
Control
GeneralGogol
Agent007391
The White Tuxedo
saint mark
Murdock
retrokitty
HJackson
Fairbairn-Sykes
Santa
Loomis
Harmsway
lachesis
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 10:55 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
NO WAY OUT (1987)

I remember at the time thinking what a great, twisty, mind-blowing political thriller this film was. I think it's held up fairly well after 27 years, but there were some things that could have been done differently that would make the film better.

Love that film though I confess I haven't seen the original. Fear I'm a closet Costner fan, at least when I'm wearing pink. Speaking of which, a homosexual villain? Couldn't do that these days.

BTW, how's Maurice Jarre's score holding up? Melodic, but crudely electronic as I recall.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 5:11 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Speaking of which, a homosexual villain? Couldn't do that these days.

See A WALK AMONG TOMBSTONES.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 6:42 pm

'71 - grimly gripping survival thriller about a young squaddie deployed to Troubles-stricken Belfast who gets separated from his comrades after house searches in the west of the city turn sour and he has to try to somehow get back to the safety of his barracks. Excellent central performance from Jack O'Connell, surely a star in the making.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 6:46 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:

See A WALK AMONG TOMBSTONES.

See SKYFALL.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 7:01 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:

BTW, how's Maurice Jarre's score holding up? Melodic, but crudely electronic as I recall.

Some of Jarre's score shines through, but other parts are seriously dated. Certainly not what I'd consider a classical, timeless score.

My issues with the film are minor, but I thought the plot twist that Farrell had been inserted into Susan's life to try and get close to Gene Hackman's character, Brice, was too far fetched. I thought the story was perfectly fine, perhaps even better, with the assumption that events played out for Farrell purely by chance/luck/happenstance, and that it wasn't part of some larger, broader conspiracy. I had no problem with him turning out to be Yuri, and it WAS one of those crazy endings like PLANET OF THE APES or SIXTH SENSE that most people never saw coming. But the notion that his affair with Susan and his job with Brice were engineered by the Soviets was a step too far in the wrong direction.

The idea that Farrell's relationship with Susan was a job at least makes his willingness to share her with Brice seem more plausible. I'm sure a lot of people were wondering why he would stick around with a woman that was being kept by the Secretary of Defense as nothing more than a high priced whore until the end of the film kind of explains it.

I think the love scene in the limousine was extremely over-hyped for the time. I don't think there's even any nudity in that scene.

Iman looked great. Very exotic looking. Probaly would've made a good secondary Bond Girl back then.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 7:02 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Excellent central performance from Jack O'Connell, surely a star in the making.  

Jack O'Connell reminds me of a young Tom Courtenay. Interesting actor.

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:

Some of Jarre's score shines through, but other parts are seriously dated. Certainly not what I'd consider a classical, timeless score.

I agree. Although WITNESS is terrific, Jarre didn't really grasp electronics. His son should've given him some pointers.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Been wondering what he's like in Starred Up, but am put off by what would likely be an almost unremittingly grim experience.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 7:25 pm

Yeah. Once you've seen SCUM you've seen them all.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 9:42 pm

MADHOUSE (1974)

Great film. Highly entertaining. I think it would have been better if someone like De Palma directed it.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 11:54 pm

Detective Story (1951)

William Wyler's reputation seems to lessen each year, but this still has a lot to recommend it. It's very stagey, but there's a great ensemble performance, standouts being Kirk Douglas and a completely bonkers Joseph Wiseman.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 12:59 am

St. Vincent (2014)

Watched this at a matinee and really enjoyed it. Despite the cliched story beats, it's really carried by the cast. It was also great to see Melissa McCarthy not do her usual "outrageous" stuff from other films. For a child actor, Jaeden Lieberher was very good. Naomi Watts has her moments, but I can't lie if I said her attempt at a Russian accent didn't get grating at some points. It's also nice that the film doesn't go for the "flawed man befriends child and becomes a better man" route, but rather that he's always been the better man, he's just seriously flawed and once you got to know that asshole, he becomes your kind of asshole.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 10:07 am

Erica Ambler wrote:

Charlie Prince in the Yuma remake?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 6:29 pm

Salomé wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:

I remember you pointing that out to me at the time, but I don't think I noticed he was gay. Then again, it wasn't a film that made much impression on me on at any level.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 9:56 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Salomé wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:

I remember you pointing that out to me at the time, but I don't think I noticed he was gay. Then again, it wasn't a film that made much impression on me on at any level.
It's been a while since I saw it but I remember that aspect of the movie not being very subtle.
I see that it's even been added to the wiki article.
I'd agree that it's not an especially memorable western.

The only western of the past decade I would consider truly worthwhile is "The Proposition".
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 12:09 am

went to see a 30th anniversary showing of Ghostbusters at what passes as the local cinema.

Still a joy after so many, many, many viewings. Found myself particularly liking Atherton's turn. Dickless that is.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 12:45 am

Salomé wrote:
The only western of the past decade I would consider truly worthwhile is "The Proposition".

Nick Cave is a man of many talents. Anyone here see 20,000 Days on Earth yet?
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 2:10 am

Never gets old.

"That's right, boys. It's Dr. Venkman!"
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 12:33 pm

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

The ending is a bit lacking in terms of creativity but otherwise this is an entertaining twist on the groundhog day premise, with some surprising and funny moments thrown into the mix.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 2:26 pm

lachesis wrote:
Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

I'm looking forward to seeing it again and am amused to see it's been retitled Live Die Repeat.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 3:18 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
lachesis wrote:
Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

I'm looking forward to seeing it again and am amused to see it's been retitled Live Die Repeat.

I liked it a lot, but the first hour is a lot better than anything that follows.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 3:57 pm

Salomé wrote:
the first hour is a lot better than anything that follows.

Can't disagree, but if I had a daughter I'd want her to see Emily Blunt's warrior. So refreshing to see a woman where strong means just that rather than the usual whining victim.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 1:48 am

lachesis wrote:
Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

The ending is a bit lacking in terms of creativity but otherwise this is an entertaining twist on the groundhog day premise, with some surprising and funny moments thrown into the mix.

I quite liked it. Clever premise.

Tom Cruise is a bit irritating though. Generally speaking.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 2:06 am

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 WrongTurn-630

Starts of okay enough with a couple who's disconnected from the rest of the storyline but quickly deteriorates into the worst of the pack. Parts 4 & 5 were considerably better.

3/10.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 12:28 pm

Hilly KCMG wrote:
went to see a 30th anniversary showing of Ghostbusters at what passes as the local cinema.

Still a joy after so many, many, many viewings. Found myself particularly liking Atherton's turn. Dickless that is.

A remastered anniversary screening is on at Belfast's QFT tonight, but I discovered that after I'd already bought tickets for a double-bill of Beetlejuice and the original Nightmare On Elm Street at another cinema.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 9:45 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Hilly KCMG wrote:

A remastered anniversary screening is on at Belfast's QFT tonight, but I discovered that after I'd already bought tickets for a double-bill of Beetlejuice and the original Nightmare On Elm Street at another cinema.

Ouch. Though I don't think what I saw was remastered. Most of the signage for the re-showing was using Ghostbusters II images.

Still...rather both than what the third might end up as.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9
Page 19 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next