More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Title Sequences on the Small Screen

Go down 
+2
Blunt Instrument
Makeshift Python
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Title Sequences on the Small Screen Empty
PostSubject: Title Sequences on the Small Screen   Title Sequences on the Small Screen EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 11:32 pm

More and more over the years I've noticed that TV shows have largely been abandoning elaborate title sequences in favor of simply showing a title for five to ten seconds and then moving onto the episode, displaying the entire main cast credits along with the episode credits for the opening. It really hit me this time with AGENTS OF SHIELD, because I feel that could have had a fun title sequence to go along with it, rather than just a flash of a logo and that annoying AN ABC PRODICTION tag in the beginning of every episode since 2009. The way it's done now started off with sitcoms in the 90s and has pretty much spilled over to every other genre. I can understand why though, because commercials, especially for broadcast networks, have been eating up more time over the years (ex: in 1966 an hour long TV show is 50 mins, in 1987 it's 45 mins, and today it's 41 mins) and cutting down the title sequence means having extra time for the episode to play out.

I think it's too bad. I always used to enjoy shows that would have a really catchy theme that in ways enhanced the experience of watching a show. Only a few shows still do something like that, such as MAD MEN (even better, they feature the entire credits in the sequence so that no credits ever play during an episode). Of course, that show is on cable and with less commercials they can actually afford to pull that off, same with THE WALKING DEAD.

Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Title Sequences on the Small Screen   Title Sequences on the Small Screen EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 11:29 am

Yeah, it's an increasing trend in 'big' movies too ... it's all some of them can do to tell you the damn title as the film starts nowadays.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: Title Sequences on the Small Screen   Title Sequences on the Small Screen EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 5:14 pm

I found it very effective with the series "Lost", it did add to the mysterious mood of the show.
Back to top Go down
retrokitty
'R'
'R'
retrokitty

PostSubject: Re: Title Sequences on the Small Screen   Title Sequences on the Small Screen EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 5:18 pm

Those are great clips. And I miss specific title sequences on the TV too.

I've not seen Mad Men. Seriously. I know. For shame... But what struck me was that the music to that intro wasn't nearly as interesting as the music for the series in the '60s.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Title Sequences on the Small Screen   Title Sequences on the Small Screen EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 5:38 pm

MAD MEN has one of the dullest themes I've ever heard.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Title Sequences on the Small Screen   Title Sequences on the Small Screen EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 10:54 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
MAD MEN has one of the dullest themes I've ever heard.
Yeah, it's pretty shitty. I'm not all that impressed by the title sequence either.

ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK follows that, too. Bad Regina Spektor theme + dull visuals.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Title Sequences on the Small Screen   Title Sequences on the Small Screen EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Hard to please grumps you all! Yeah, I don't care for the opening music, but I do like MAD MEN's visuals. A sort of cacophony of past iconic visuals.

Of today's openings I do like the one on HANNIBAL.

Back to top Go down
retrokitty
'R'
'R'
retrokitty

PostSubject: Re: Title Sequences on the Small Screen   Title Sequences on the Small Screen EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 1:46 am

Wait. What?

Pardon me for just now crawling out from under my rock... but... is Mads in a TV show in English that I can watch in my home?
Back to top Go down
retrokitty
'R'
'R'
retrokitty

PostSubject: Re: Title Sequences on the Small Screen   Title Sequences on the Small Screen EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 1:55 am

Oh for crying out loud! What have I missed?

Where can I see the first season?! I'm no good at this TV show thing.

Edited: FOUND IT! See ya next week. tongue
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Title Sequences on the Small Screen   Title Sequences on the Small Screen EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 1:59 am

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Title Sequences on the Small Screen   Title Sequences on the Small Screen EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 3:13 am

retrokitty wrote:
Wait. What?  

Pardon me for just now crawling out from under my rock... but... is Mads in a TV show in English that I can watch in my home?
retrokitty wrote:
Oh for crying out loud! What have I missed?

Where can I see the first season?! I'm no good at this TV show thing.

Edited:  FOUND IT! See ya next week. tongue
I need to catch up on that show, but from what I saw Mads is really good in it. He makes Hannibal his own much like Cox and Hopkins did.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Title Sequences on the Small Screen   Title Sequences on the Small Screen Empty

Back to top Go down

Title Sequences on the Small Screen
Page 1 of 1