More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The origin of the idea that James Bond would one day take over from M as Head of the British Secret Service?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
General Yuskovich
'R'
'R'
General Yuskovich

The origin of the idea that James Bond would one day take over from M as Head of the British Secret Service?  Empty
PostSubject: The origin of the idea that James Bond would one day take over from M as Head of the British Secret Service?    The origin of the idea that James Bond would one day take over from M as Head of the British Secret Service?  EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 1:03 pm

It's one of those threads that does what it says on the tin, folks, but bear with me as I elaborate...

I'm not at all sure where/if I read this somewhere many years ago, but it's been bugging the life out of me over the last few weeks and I thought that it was high time that I actually did something about it and started a new thread on this very subject. Google searches have been futile on this question, so I thought I would turn to my fellow MI6 agents and their vast and varied knowledge base and expertise to see if anyone out there can come up with an answer to this one. Does anyone know where I read the idea that was bandied about that once the old male M would retire Commander James Bond as an older secret agent would be the ideal candidate to take over the function of the Head of the British Secret Service, or less romantically the Secret Intelligence Service or MI6.

The idea itself is a little like Ian Fleming's commandeering the 30 Assault Unit (his "Red Indians") during World War II when he was the Assistant to the Director of Naval Intelligence. And on the successor to M, might Chief of Staff Bill Tanner be a better choice?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I have posted this thread in the Literary 007 section, but truth be told it could have been in a book on the films. I just want to know if others have ever heard of this theory (and where exactly) or whether it was all a wonderful (mad?) thought of my own?!

It's an esoteric but nonetheless fascinating proposition, but what else do you expect from General Yuskovich at this stage?! Esoterica is my only stock in trade.

Thanks,

The General.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

The origin of the idea that James Bond would one day take over from M as Head of the British Secret Service?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The origin of the idea that James Bond would one day take over from M as Head of the British Secret Service?    The origin of the idea that James Bond would one day take over from M as Head of the British Secret Service?  EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 1:36 am

Assuming he defies the notion of double-0 agents having a short life span, he would be a logical choice as M when he gets too old for his secret agent gig.

I did fancy the possibility of Judi Dench's M hinting that she might have been a double-0 instead of a mere bean counter type.
Back to top Go down
General Yuskovich
'R'
'R'
General Yuskovich

PostSubject: Re: The origin of the idea that James Bond would one day take over from M as Head of the British Secret Service?    The origin of the idea that James Bond would one day take over from M as Head of the British Secret Service?  EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 1:50 am

bitchcraft wrote:
Assuming he defies the notion of double-0 agents having a short life span, he would be a logical choice as M when he gets too old for his secret agent gig.

I did fancy the possibility of Judi Dench's M hinting that she might have been a double-0 instead of a mere bean counter type.

Thanks, lovely bitchcraft.

Yes, well in the Brosnan years the other M (I assume the Craig M is a different character?!) was thought to have been a "bean counter" in the "sexist mysogynist dinousaur" M speech that Bond admitted he agreed with.

If M in the Craig era was a double-O herself at one point in the way that you suggest then it tacitly supports the theory I've posted about in this thread.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: The origin of the idea that James Bond would one day take over from M as Head of the British Secret Service?    The origin of the idea that James Bond would one day take over from M as Head of the British Secret Service?  EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 9:53 pm

In John Gardner's Seafire, M suggested that 007 might be qualified to succeed him, but Bond respectfully declined.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The origin of the idea that James Bond would one day take over from M as Head of the British Secret Service?    The origin of the idea that James Bond would one day take over from M as Head of the British Secret Service?  Empty

Back to top Go down

The origin of the idea that James Bond would one day take over from M as Head of the British Secret Service?
Page 1 of 1