More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Unique/Odd Voices

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Unique/Odd Voices Empty
PostSubject: Unique/Odd Voices   Unique/Odd Voices EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 4:20 pm

Just discovered Israeli singer-songwriter Asaf Avidan.

Not sure what I make of the music.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Unique/Odd Voices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique/Odd Voices   Unique/Odd Voices EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 4:48 pm

His stuff seems unremarkable to me. I still mourn Ofra Haza.

Im Nin'alu has never been given sufficient credit for boosting the amazing electo/world cross-pollination that was happening in the late 1980s. There was a time when I thought music was ready for the next step. Then cunts everywhere voted for britpop and watched their heroes shake hands with Tony Blair.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Unique/Odd Voices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique/Odd Voices   Unique/Odd Voices EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 5:16 pm

That's pretty impressive. Is she using the AMS Harmonizer? How's the sweep/glide start at around 1:17 done?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Unique/Odd Voices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique/Odd Voices   Unique/Odd Voices EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Not certain, Ofra was a very secretive woman. Most likely an Eventide Harmoniser. The kit is ancient now, yet the sound it produced still sounds futuristic more than a quarter of a century later.

The original track is on the album Yemenite Songs and is a better song in conventional terms, but technically unremarkable. The stunning remix is from 1988 and everyone from Thomas Dolby to Stock, Aitkin and Waterman were involved at different periods.

As an aside, I've given up trying to persuade any mainstream publisher to fund a history of music technology and the 1980s, though I'm well qualified to write it. Already many of the most important people involved are dead (like Ofra herself), or not long for this world.  As long as the Luddites in charge of music publishing think three chords and an electric guitar is still important, that's how it's going to be.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Unique/Odd Voices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique/Odd Voices   Unique/Odd Voices EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 6:46 pm

Have you thought about a Beeb documentary? The one about John Cooper Clarke from a year or two ago wasn't bad (Evidently... John Cooper Clarke).
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Unique/Odd Voices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique/Odd Voices   Unique/Odd Voices EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 7:49 pm

BBC is not for me.

Getting back on topic, the remarkable thing about Ofra was how she reinvented herself.  I think this is the earliest version she did of Im Nin'alu:

Over the the next decade or so there were many different arrangements, culminating in the electrofragment-remix above, which is the still the best and strangest version for me, though there were various bland remixes after her infection and death, notably without the pitch shifting which is the 1988 version's most distinctive feature.

Ofra had a strange and beguiling voice and it's a great shame, if understandable, that she tried to have a semi-mainstream pop career after her Western breakthrough.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

Unique/Odd Voices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique/Odd Voices   Unique/Odd Voices EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 12:35 am

I'd pick Jimmy Somerville from Bronski Beat...

Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

Unique/Odd Voices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique/Odd Voices   Unique/Odd Voices EmptySun May 14, 2023 10:09 am

This lady has a rather unique voice. A so called soprano sfogalto, she has trained at a vocal technique that is almost disturbing at times. Caught her live in 93, quite a show. Not least because the stage was flooded with candles, and she had blood all over her bare breasts.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

Unique/Odd Voices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique/Odd Voices   Unique/Odd Voices EmptySun Jun 04, 2023 11:25 am

Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

Unique/Odd Voices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique/Odd Voices   Unique/Odd Voices EmptyFri Jun 09, 2023 4:39 am

Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

Unique/Odd Voices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique/Odd Voices   Unique/Odd Voices EmptyFri Jul 07, 2023 9:24 pm

Kate, unique, not odd.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

Unique/Odd Voices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique/Odd Voices   Unique/Odd Voices EmptyFri Jul 14, 2023 4:16 pm

Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

Unique/Odd Voices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique/Odd Voices   Unique/Odd Voices EmptyWed Jul 26, 2023 5:01 pm

Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

Unique/Odd Voices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique/Odd Voices   Unique/Odd Voices EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 11:01 am

Blixa Bargeld

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Unique/Odd Voices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique/Odd Voices   Unique/Odd Voices Empty

Back to top Go down

Unique/Odd Voices
Page 1 of 1