More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life  Empty
PostSubject: Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life    Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life  EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 1:23 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/17/science/a-new-clue-in-the-search-for-life-on-mars.html

Some exciting news from the Mars Rover.

Quote :
A year after reporting that NASA’s Curiosity rover had found no evidence of methane gas on Mars, all but dashing hopes that organisms might be living there now, scientists reversed themselves on Tuesday.

Curiosity has now recorded a burst of methane that lasted at least two months.

For now, scientists have just two possible explanations for the methane. One is that it is the waste product of certain living microbes.

“It is one of the few hypotheses that we can propose that we must consider as we go forward,” said John P. Grotzinger, the mission’s project scientist.

The scientists also reported that for the first time, they had confirmed the presence of carbon-based organic molecules in a rock sample. The so-called organics are not direct signs of life, past or present, but they lend weight to the possibility that Mars had the ingredients required for life, and may even still have them.

The presence of methane is significant because the gas cannot exist for long. Calculations indicate that sunlight and chemical reactions in the Martian atmosphere would break up the molecules within a few hundred years, so any methane there now must have been created recently.

It could have been created by a geological process known as serpentinization, which requires both heat and liquid water. Or it could be a product of life in the form of microbes known as methanogens, which release methane as a waste product.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life    Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life  EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 3:27 pm

NASA's annual budget is around US$20 billion. Better find some little green men soon.

And make sure the men are wearing shirts and ties, and have received full anti-sexism training.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life    Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life  EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 4:33 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
And make sure the men are wearing shirts and ties, and have received full anti-sexism training.

Indeed by far the most important aspect of this announcement.

But great news...unless it means we are going to be invaded and enslaved...then damn you all...damn you all to hell!
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life    Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life  EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 5:23 pm

I grok a great wrongness. I will consult with my water brother, Santa.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life    Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life  EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Give Santa my regards and tell her not to be a stranger. Or 'Don't be a cunt', as she'd put it.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life    Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life  EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 8:52 pm

I need to go to Mars first and colonise it.

Excellent real estate options.

The Cydonia region of Mars is reserved. There's a face there, but just wait till NASA takes pics of 'the ass on Mars.'
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life    Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life  EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 11:15 pm

Dog's going to sit on the face of Mars. The Bringer of War.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life    Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life  EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 4:48 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Dog's going to sit on the face of Mars. The Bringer of War.

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life    Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life  Empty

Back to top Go down

Rover Finds Clue That Mars May Harbor Life
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: News & Current Affairs-
Jump to: