More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

DAF with Burt

Go down 
+2
lachesis
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

DAF with Burt Empty
PostSubject: DAF with Burt   DAF with Burt EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 10:56 am

Burt Reynolds is pushing his autobiography and talking of his regrets at not accepting the part of James Bond when he was offered it in 1970. Would he have worked?

For me, part of the appeal of DAF is its 'fish out of water' quality, a Scotsman in Las Vegas. Not sure how it would have been with Burt, but maybe an entertaining typically 1970s caper movie.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/nov/18/burt-reynolds-regrets-turning-down-james-bond-role
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

DAF with Burt Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAF with Burt   DAF with Burt EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 11:00 am

Given the crazy ideas that didn't (and I suppose, did) make it into the film, it's probably not the most far fetched. Still, it's great to see Connery in the role, camping it up and enjoying himself, unlike YOLT.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

DAF with Burt Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAF with Burt   DAF with Burt EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 11:53 am

I think Connery hits his absolute peak Goldfinger - Thunderball but Diamonds is very close behind these and in some ways the most relaxed and fun he's ever been on camera.......far better than anything the admittedly affable Reynolds has ever delivered imo.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

DAF with Burt Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAF with Burt   DAF with Burt EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 11:56 am

DAF features some of Connery's best moments in the role. You wouldn't want anyone else strangling someone with their bikini or getting caught with an erection.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

DAF with Burt Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAF with Burt   DAF with Burt EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 12:08 pm

lachesis wrote:
I think Connery hits his absolute peak Goldfinger - Thunderball but Diamonds is very close behind these and in some ways the most relaxed and fun he's ever been on camera.......far better than anything the admittedly affable Reynolds has ever delivered imo.

He's great in GF, but his reserved, vulnerable performance in DN will always be my favourite, followed by FRWL and TB.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

DAF with Burt Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAF with Burt   DAF with Burt EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 12:11 pm

CJB wrote:
DAF features some of Connery's best moments in the role. You wouldn't want anyone else strangling someone with their bikini or getting caught with an erection.

Indeed this very much, one of the great positives of the Connery Bond is the way he weaves the absurdity/humour into a natural delivery, absurd as many of the lines could be Connery delivers them in a fashion as if to himself and/or the characters nearby and we the audience laugh along with him/them.... subsequent actors in the role have generally made the humour much more overtly a thing aimed at the audience - far more contrived and ultimately less amusing imo. To my mind Diamonds is the ultimate evocation of this 'laugh with him not at him' edict and on reflection something of an object lesson for actors large and small.

FieldsMan wrote:

He's great in GF, but his reserved, vulnerable performance in DN will always be my favourite, followed by FRWL and TB.

There is a rawness to him in his first two performances that probably does echo the character as originally conceived best I can certainly understand why you might feel that way, but in the context of the movie realisation and Connery's own evolution as an actor (which imo matures rapidly after Marnie) I just feel there is something even more remarkable later, and the films come to rely more on that in turn.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

DAF with Burt Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAF with Burt   DAF with Burt EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 3:34 pm

Let's not forget John Gavin, who was officially signed onto the role for DAF before UA vetoed that by convincing Connery to come back.

I haven't seen any of his work other than PSYCHO, which I don't think is a great example because he's mostly bland in that. Has anyone seen any of his work close to 1971 to get an idea of how he would have been? Did he actually have more apparent screen presence after PSYCHO?
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

DAF with Burt Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAF with Burt   DAF with Burt EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 4:31 pm

In Thoroughly Modern Millie there's a scene where he's temporarily paralyzed with a curare dart. It's hard to tell when it wears off, as he's such a stiff throughout...
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

DAF with Burt Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAF with Burt   DAF with Burt EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 9:23 pm

Much as I like Burt, I don't think so. Be on par with an Adam West OHMSS.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Sponsored content

DAF with Burt Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAF with Burt   DAF with Burt Empty

Back to top Go down

DAF with Burt
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: Diamonds Are Forever (1971)-
Jump to: