More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes

Go down 
+5
lachesis
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Strangways&Quarrel
Gravity's Silhouette
AMC Hornet
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes Empty
PostSubject: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyMon May 09, 2016 12:27 pm

No end credits answers, please. Try three moments you find some enjoyment in.

1. Bond meets Raoul.
Excellent scene that demonstrates that Purvis and Wade really do have a handle on the Bond character and world. Feels like good old fashioned espionage in a modern setting. Bresnan is as cool as a cucumber here and Raoul proves to be a charismatic ally that should have been used more in this film.

2. Bond Beds Frost
I like this scene. I like the swan bed, and I've always loved the Ice Palace. I do like that we see Bond put the gun under his pillow, and Bond's 'it's only a number' line. Arnold's music is top-notch too, IMO.

3. Q scene
John Cleese is an admirable successor to Llewellyn's Q and the banter in this scene is great. Brosnan and Cleese have great chemistry and it's a nice touch to see some of the old gadgets. Not sure if some really should be there, i.e. Klebb's shoe, but it is and it takes up about half a second in an otherwise solid scene.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyTue May 10, 2016 3:39 am

Klebb's shoe has more reason to be there than Kara's cello.

For me:

The PTS, right from the gunbarrel with the bullet through to the end of the titles;

Bond's arrival and cleanup in Hong Kong;

The duel between the two supercars.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyTue May 10, 2016 4:28 am

Heh never realised Kara's cello. Need to look more closely next time!
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyTue May 10, 2016 5:59 am

FieldsMan wrote:

1. Bond meets Raoul.
Excellent scene that demonstrates that Purvis and Wade really do have a handle on the Bond character and world. Feels like good old fashioned espionage in a modern setting. Bresnan is as cool as a cucumber here and Raoul proves to be a charismatic ally that should have been used more in this film.

2. Bond Beds Frost
I like this scene. I like the swan bed, and I've always loved the Ice Palace. I do like that we see Bond put the gun under his pillow, and Bond's 'it's only a number' line. Arnold's music is top-notch too, IMO.

3. Q scene
John Cleese is an admirable successor to Llewellyn's Q and the banter in this scene is great. Brosnan and Cleese have great chemistry and it's a nice touch to see some of the old gadgets. Not sure if some really should be there, i.e. Klebb's shoe, but it is and it takes up about half a second in an otherwise solid scene.

#1 M questioning Frost about her personal life before sending her to Iceland; sometimes the subtle way is the best way...the slight undercurrent of suspicion that M has that Frost may be a lesbian.

#2 Frost meets Jinx: "I take it Mr. Bond was just explaining his big-bang theory".

#3 Frost betrays Bond: There's actually some cold-dialogue here (no pun intended). I mean, Graves' comments about using Frost's "sex" to get what he wants is pretty hardcore and ruthless, not to mention she doesn't seem to give a damn about being exploited and used herself.

Yeah, basically just about any scene with Frost in it. She's one of my favorites, and I've been a big fan of Pike's ever since (I've watched a lot of crap i wouldn't normally be caught dead watching just to see her in it).
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyTue May 10, 2016 6:17 am

Pike is definitely one of the films highlights. I always wonder what Die Another Day would have been like had Pike played Gala Brand - as originally planned in Purvis and Wade's script (before Tamahori's rewrites which exploded the script into the film we have today), with her assisting Bond in finding the mole within MI6.

Back to top Go down
Strangways&Quarrel
'R'
'R'
Strangways&Quarrel

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyFri May 13, 2016 9:43 am

1. The scene where Bond shaves at the hotel
Thankfully the beard didn't last long and we got handsome Pierce back. Actually the hotel sequence was a pretty decent signature Bond scene overall.

2. The Q Scene
Sad this was Cleese's last scenes as Q outside of the game Everything or Nothing but it did have some good humor in it.

3. Miranda Frost turns on Bond
I'll admit it was quite a surprise and didn't mind it so I'll put it here. She wasn't a bad character.

Honorable mention goes to Toby Stephens fresh-off-the-bone hammy acting which I admit was kind of fun.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySat May 14, 2016 2:56 am

Strangways&Quarrel wrote:
Actually the hotel sequence was a pretty decent signature Bond scene overall.

I quite like it also, though too bad if Bond wanted to use that walk-in robe for something.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 11:54 am

What do we think of the Cuban clinic scenes? I actually don't mind the sequence... Bond gaining access, the snooping, the fight with Zao (probably Yune's best scene) followed by the subsequent shootout, which is perhaps the best action sequence of the film. Pity Jinx's dive looks so fake. Could have been a great stunt to establish just how 'equal' she is to Bond.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 12:06 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
What do we think of the Cuban clinic scenes? I actually don't mind the sequence... Bond gaining access, the snooping, the fight with Zao (probably Yune's best scene) followed by the subsequent shootout, which is perhaps the best action sequence of the film. Pity Jinx's dive looks so fake. Could have been a great stunt to establish just how 'equal' she is to Bond.

I like that sequence it is Jinx's obnoxious exit (on multiple levels) that ends up leaving a bad taste. There is some very good stuff in DAD...but much like with QoS the overall impression is tarred to some degree or other by peripheral elements and/or bizarrely out of place touches.

1. PTS
2. Any moment Rosamund Pike is on screen.
3. Most if not all the scene's Toby Stephens is in.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 2:47 am

lachesis wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:

I like that sequence it is Jinx's obnoxious exit (on multiple levels) that ends up leaving a bad taste. There is some very good stuff in DAD...but much like with QoS the overall impression is tarred to some degree or other by peripheral elements and/or bizarrely out of place touches.

1. PTS
2. Any moment Rosamund Pike is on screen.
3. Most if not all the scene's Toby Stephens is in.

At least Die Another Day has a sense of fun about it, unlike QOS (though your right. QOS does have its moments).

Toby Stephens has quite a few fans it seems. I've never really thought much of his character, largely because Stephens hams it up so much - which ironically is the criticism of Carver, who is one of my favourite villains. Pryce is more connected to his material than Stephens, who in my eyes appears to be playing an idea of a mad man.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 4:25 am

1. PTS

I thought the surfing scene was k00l, as we used to say in the Noughties. Problems began when I started to see everything coming (i.e. the dude inside the punching bag, the "saved by the bell" quip)

2. Driving through Havana

Terrific music.

3. Car chase on ice

A novel idea, if nothing else.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 7:39 am

I like the dude in the punching bag. It establishes Col. Moon efficiently. And I've always had a soft spot for the "saved by the bell" quip.

Arnold had some great work buried beneath some of the electronica. His latino music in DAD is responsible for the more palatable energy than his similar work in QOS.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 12:50 pm

That reminds, I've always hated the fact that Kim Jung Moon and Zao had those American accents. It just added to the generic Hollywood action movie feel of DAD (i.e. xXx, but with an out-of-place 50 year old Irishman as the lead).
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyWed May 06, 2020 9:37 pm

well, here we go

1) Bond and M on the frigate

as good as it gets with Bond/M. Bond knows he shouldn't be alive or even free, he then is pissed that someone betrayed him but also he's accused of betrayal and M is faced with her best man being a traitor, being caught and standing in front of her.

2) Sword Fight

the measure of good guy versus bad guy. Graves taps into his inner Moon, Bond goes for it.

3) Ice Palace Car Chase

Bond smashes through the skidoos, thrashes the Aston about as the palace falls apart, casually kills Zao and saves Jinx.

Mentions to Bond/Colonel Moon at the bridge, Bond rumbled in the PTS, Miranda's betrayal revealed
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySat May 09, 2020 1:32 pm

Great picks, even the honourable mentions, which is a subheading I'd not expected to see in this thread (but happy it's there)! The Bond/M scene is a really tense dynamic - and something unseen in the past 40 years. Now a recurring theme, and something that seemingly begins the moment he becomes a 00 to he is well and truly over the hill. Go figure. Can't see Fleming's M going to James Moloney about whipping Craig-Bond back into shape. He'd be thankful to have a reason to let Bond go!

Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySat May 09, 2020 4:42 pm

No, I can't see Sir James going to Craig's Bond, not without getting some choice words in response. In that case he can be played by Brian Blessed.

Well, the actor playing Colonel Moon does a good job in the few scenes he's in. In fact I feel a little bit sorry for him in spite of the regime he's fronting up. He recognises at least that America and the Allies would smash North Korea or that any action by the North would result in utter chaos (the South, Japan, China, USA, Russia...). That and how Bond is with him at the bridge. Just get on with shooting me if you're going to, I don't care what you think.

Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySun May 10, 2020 1:01 am

I think the idea was to have General Moon as some kind of Gogol figure - a sympathetic person in the enemy regime to balance out the politics. The prisoner exchange on the bridge and the moments leading up to it are indeed some great moments in DAD.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySun May 10, 2020 8:14 pm

I can see that, the Gogol figure. Perhaps DAD should've involved his defection from the North. See what he could do over the course of a film.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyMon May 11, 2020 12:59 am

There's an idea! Perhaps a genuine defection - unlike Koskov's ruse. Or maybe he'd want to uncover his son's Western ally.

You know, Die Another Day with General Moon as the main villain might have worked a lot better.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyMon May 11, 2020 4:40 am

1. Cuba with establishing shots, Raoul, and the fast car.
2. Abandoned station for abandoned agents.
3. Kiss of life minus the stopping of Bond's heart which is too silly but I love Arnold's cue pairing with Brozzer slipping out and of course the DN electronic noise mixed in. But I regret it cuts straight to the hotel without showing Bond getting some resources on the streets. Benson's novelization does and it's a great bit of Bond doing the real Jason Bourne of Ludlum's novels.
Also that green screened shot when Brozzer comes out of the water is really really dodgy.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyMon May 11, 2020 5:06 am

The idea was originally for Hong Kong to be used more, with Wai Lin returning to assist Bond.

I'd love to read Purvis and Wade's original script before Tamahori got his filthy hands on it and "polished it".
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyMon May 11, 2020 11:57 am

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
There's an idea! Perhaps a genuine defection - unlike Koskov's ruse. Or maybe he'd want to uncover his son's Western ally.

You know, Die Another Day with General Moon as the main villain might have worked a lot better.

Indeed ... and seeing as his name was a nod to Colonel Sun, maybe the 'sharpened bamboo' torture could've been in there in some form (maybe even in the montage of it that backs DAD's opening credits) 13 years before its sort-of adaptation in SPECTRE.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyMon May 11, 2020 11:29 pm

Sharpened bamboo torture? Not yet read Colonel Sun but that sounds like someone's getting skewered... one sympathises.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyWed Jun 24, 2020 11:05 am

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:

1. Bond meets Raoul.

2. Bond Beds Frost

3. Q scene

I'll change my number 2 to Bond and Frost by the car in Iceland. Bond is a right cunt and Pike is on fine form. There's a sense of joie de vivre, danger and cynicism all wrapped in a neat little scene. I also like how it looks.

There's a number of honourable mentions however: All the Cuba scenes sans Jinx's introduction, The Hong Kong scenes, Bond and M underground, the aforementioned Iceland love scene, the car chase, Jinx infiltrating the biodome, Jinx vs Miranda and of course, the NK scenes pre-and-post titles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes Empty

Back to top Go down

Die Another Day: Your 3 Favourite Scenes
Page 1 of 1