More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Battle of the Bonds!

Go down 
3 posters

Which do you prefer?
"What a helpful chap!" - TSWLM
Battle of the Bonds! Vote_lcap80%Battle of the Bonds! Vote_rcap
 80% [ 4 ]
"Play it again, Sam!" - MR
Battle of the Bonds! Vote_lcap20%Battle of the Bonds! Vote_rcap
 20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Battle of the Bonds! Empty
PostSubject: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyMon May 22, 2017 11:09 am

This week's round focuses on the Bond vs Henchman sequence in TSWLM and MR. Well into the film proper, the Bond has an extensive fight scene which results in a secondary henchman fall to his death. In the 1977 film, 007 and Sandor get into a scuffle that extensively covers a rooftop before they reach the edge of the building. Bond drops Sandor off the side of the building, and quips as he looks down. Similarly, in MR, Bond and Chang cover a lot of ground at Venini glass, and then upstairs, before Bond sends Chang plummeting to his death into the piano. And like its predecessor, Bond quips as he looks down at the body.

Lewis Gilbert's Bond films are perhaps the most formulaic of them all, but it's understandable considering his films are amongst the most financially successful in the series. Wanting to recreate success is perhaps most evident in MR, but I personally believe the MR fight with Chang was an improvement on Bond's fight with Sandor. In TSWLM, it looked too choreographed whereas the fight with Chang seemed to flow better. I also prefer the photography in this scene. I love the camera tracking upstairs just before Chang meets his fate and how the music fades in. I like Bond's final quip, but I admittedly prefer "What a helpful chap!" from the previous film.

Which scene was more effective for you?

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyMon May 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Prefer the gallows humour in the closing one-liner in the TSWLM scene to the iffy pun that closes the MR one.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyTue May 23, 2017 9:32 am

TSWLM. A callous, yet darkly amusing moment.

And God knows how Bond manages to find Abu Hussein al-Jawsfood at the right place and the right time simply from the statement "Pyramids!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! Empty

Back to top Go down

Battle of the Bonds!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: James Bond Fan Area-
Jump to: