More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Godless times on Netflix

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Godless times on Netflix Empty
PostSubject: Godless times on Netflix   Godless times on Netflix EmptyWed Nov 22, 2017 10:44 am

v

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Godless times on Netflix   Godless times on Netflix EmptyWed Nov 22, 2017 11:00 am

I have been looking forward to this show and I hope to find the time to at least watch the pilot today.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Godless times on Netflix   Godless times on Netflix EmptyWed Nov 22, 2017 2:50 pm

It's not the new "Deadwood". Seems like it'll be a pretty straightforward western.
Good production values. Thematically, it reminds me of "Red River" (a vengeful father chasing an adoptive son who has betrayed him) and it looks like it will almost certainly build up towards some sort of "High Plains Drifter" type climactic scenario. I even think that the name of the school teacher in La Belle might be a conscious reference to that movie.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Godless times on Netflix   Godless times on Netflix EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 2:04 am

So is this like Westworld but with less sex robots?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Godless times on Netflix   Godless times on Netflix EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 2:35 am

CJB wrote:
So is this like Westworld but with less sex robots?

Other influences I have noticed so far include "Rio Bravo" (the young deputy) and "Vera Cruz" (this one might be a tiny bit of a stretch).

It's entertaining but it lacks the depth and the quality of writing of "Deadwood". Some of the dialogue sounds a bit clunky too.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Godless times on Netflix   Godless times on Netflix EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 4:26 am

Below the surface, it also appears to be a show about community and what men and women each bring to that concept. The mining town of La Belle has lost its dynamic nature with the loss of the able-bodied men, but the women left behind in their absence are still assuming care-taking roles for the handful of remaining men. Including the young deputy and the sole survivor of the mining disaster, who has been rendered psychological damaged in the aftermath.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Godless times on Netflix   Godless times on Netflix EmptyFri Nov 24, 2017 4:33 pm

I've finished the series.

Though it has some interesting ideas, I thought the execution, especially in the latter half of the series, was lacking and at times clunky. Never more so than during the climax. I know these large-scale shoot-outs are hard to do right but this one was especially silly.

Other western references I've noticed are "Will Penny" (a quite obvious one) and "The Naked Spur" (this one is more of a stretch but the choice of location for the final confrontation was very reminiscent of that movie).

I don't think it's necessarily a bad series, but it's best to keep your expectations reasonably in check. It follows a pretty straightforward revenge and redemption arc.

It is mostly well-acted though and the production values are quite good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Godless times on Netflix   Godless times on Netflix Empty

Back to top Go down

Godless times on Netflix
Page 1 of 1