More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)? Empty
PostSubject: Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)?   Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)? EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 7:52 pm

Ever since I read the passage quoted below from John Gardner's website shortly after it "went live" in about March 2002 I have been wondering which actual Stephen King novel dialogue passage it was that inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992). Perhaps a Stephen King fan here would be able to tell me which novel of his features a passage of dialogue with "death is forever" in it?

Of course, Death is Forever itself acknowledges in a quote  at the beginning of the novel that its title is taken from the end paragraph of Ian Fleming's Diamonds Are Forever (1956), so this rather muddies the waters on this topic.

Nonetheless, I assume the title was inspired (as Mr Gardner noted on his website in 2002) by "some dialogue in a Stephen King book." The question is - which Stephen King book? All I have to go on is the fact that it was obviously one that was published prior to 1992. Hopefully a major Stephen King fan out there can help solve this mystery. I realise that it is no easy task of course as Stephen King is a highly prolific author! Thanks in advance!  smile

The relevant passage from John Gardner's website - The BOND page:

I have always believed that the editor who begins a session with the words, "I'm not happy with the title," has nothing to say about the book. Many reviewers said that my titles were poor. Little did they know what I'd saved them from because publishers almost to a man (or woman) wanted title changes and the Americans in particular suggested the most appalling new titles: I recall such wonders as Oh No, Mr. Bond! And Bond Fights Back. Those two finally became, after many protests on my part, the dreadful No Deals Mr. Bond while my original title for Icebreaker was instantly turned down only to be picked up again a month later after turkey after turkey had to be rejected. My former agent is convinced to this day that he was responsible for Death is Forever, which was actually taken from some dialogue in a Stephen King book. I tried to explain it to him but he still claimed that he was the one. I can't think why because it isn't a very sophisticated title. Peter Janson-Smith came up with two of the titles, though by now I've forgotten which, and somewhere I have the original lengthy list of quite abominable titles suggested by publishers.

Quoted from: http://www.john-gardner.com/bond - accessed 20 March 2018.

Last edited by Secret Files on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)?   Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)? EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 3:30 pm

Have you tried Pet Cemetary?
Back to top Go down
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

PostSubject: Re: Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)?   Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)? EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 5:06 pm

Kath wrote:
Have you tried Pet Cemetary?

I've not, no. I don't have that novel but I know where to buy a copy so I will. Thanks, Kath!

Last edited by Secret Files on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

PostSubject: Re: Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)?   Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)? EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 5:39 pm

I've read it many years ago and considering the thematic framing it might be a good starting point. I honestly do not know if it is the right one.
Back to top Go down
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

PostSubject: Re: Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)?   Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)? EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 6:39 pm

Kath wrote:
I've read it many years ago and considering the thematic framing it might be a good starting point. I honestly do not know if it is the right one.

Thank you again for your helpful suggestion, Kath. smile

One has to start somewhere with this search, though I feel it's going to be like finding a needle in a haystack. Oh well! wink
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

PostSubject: Re: Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)?   Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)? EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 8:52 pm

It's kind of weird that it is so hard to find. I couldn't google it and no information on the novel seems to include that bit of intelligence...*scratching her head*...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)?   Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which Stephen King novel dialogue inspired the title of John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992)?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Literary Bond-
Jump to: