More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam? Empty
PostSubject: When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam?   When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2018 12:03 pm

Some criticism directed at the Bond films highlights how Bond sometimes has bizarre gadgets that seem to be too specific to help him out of certain situations. For example, the razor cutter on the BMW750iL is often cited as being to convenient (though I imagine it's height corresponds to the driver's next to prevent decapitation).

One of the aspects I really like about Bond's watch in LALD, Bond's phone in TND and his ring in DAD is that he finds different uses for the same gadget, and it got me thinking about if Q-Branch's tools he's used on other missions (i.e. other films) could have helped in out of other jams. 

I'll kick it off with a few:

- His watch laser may have helped him out of the steel restraints on the chair in TWINE.
- His acid pen from OP could have helped him burn through Carver's lock in his office. 
- Bond's safecracker in MR may have prevented Osato's alarm from going off in his office. 
- Bond's third nipple might have put off Le Chiffre from torturing him.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam? Empty
PostSubject: Re: When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam?   When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2018 4:26 pm

I particularly like how Bond's magnetic watch failed him on the crocodile island, so we forget about it until the end. But see the Matt Helm movies for examples of how tedious it can be to over-use a gadget - they did it constantly.

At one point in Jack of Diamonds (1967), George Hamilton casually pops a familiar-looking mini re-breather in his mouth, as if it was something he'd invented himself (Star Wars fans think DAD stole the same gadget from The Phantom Menace).

But back to the point: A coil of Primacord in the back of his watch (MR) could have come in handy numerous times. On the other hand, I'm glad we never saw his wrist dart gun again - that was too out-there (how did he select in advance which type of dart he'd need next?).

The rappelling watch from TWINE (which would leave no room for clockworks) is another useful gadget, and more convenient that whipping off your belt while under fire.

I don't think the third nipple disguise would have put off Raoul Silva - he would have been disappointed to discover it was phony.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam?   When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam? EmptySat Jun 30, 2018 12:52 am

AMC Hornet wrote:
I particularly like how Bond's magnetic watch failed him on the crocodile island, so we forget about it until the end. But see the Matt Helm movies for examples of how tedious it can be to over-use a gadget - they did it constantly.

Agreed! 

AMC Hornet wrote:
But back to the point: A coil of Primacord in the back of his watch (MR) could have come in handy numerous times. On the other hand, I'm glad we never saw his wrist dart gun again - that was too out-there (how did he select in advance which type of dart he'd need next?).

Yeah was never big of the wrist dart (though again, another time when it's had two uses in destroying the centrifuge as well as despatch of Drax). That said, it may have helped Bond about of his torture chair scenes in TWINE, CR, SP.

The Primacord may have helped Bond out of Goldfinger's cell in Kentucky. 

AMC wrote:
The rappelling watch from TWINE (which would leave no room for clockworks) is another useful gadget, and more convenient that whipping off your belt while under fire.

Yep. I remember as a kid playing some of the video games, and the rappelling belt always stayed on. Wonder if it was an upgrade at Q-Branch. The watch from TWINE may have helped Bond's ascent to St Cyrils (or at least that final stretch when Kristatos' man almost kicks out the last peg).

Come to think of it, the keyring in The Living Daylights would have helped Bond get out of a few fights- i.e. the stun gas could have knocked out Carver's men in the sound booth, or Bond could have whistled Rule Britannia to immobilise Silva at the Enquiry.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam?   When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam? EmptySat Jun 30, 2018 8:19 am

I despise the gadgets in Bond. Compare to the bomb Jason Bourne improvises out of a newspaper and toaster in Supremacy:

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam?   When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam? EmptySat Jun 30, 2018 11:54 am

The march of real-life technological innovation has left the series struggling in this department, I feel ... we go from Q saying that they 'don't really go in for things like exploding pens any more' in Skyfall to him supplying Bond with an exploding watch in SPECTRE blink .
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam?   When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam? EmptySat Jun 30, 2018 11:14 pm

I feel the gadgets have been shoehorned in in the recent past simply because they are expected and not because they are integral to the plot. If you don't show and establish it first and then build suspense to its use then what is the point of its inclusion in the first place.

DAD does show Bond using a TB style rebreather so there is that. We could play this game indefinitely.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam?   When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam? EmptySun Jul 01, 2018 5:28 am

hegottheboot wrote:
I feel the gadgets have been shoehorned in in the recent past simply because they are expected and not because they are integral to the plot. If you don't show and establish it first and then build suspense to its use then what is the point of its inclusion in the first place.

DAD does show Bond using a TB style rebreather so there is that. We could play this game indefinitely.

Gadgets shouldn't be integral to the plot though, should they? They're mere tools to help Bond overcome an obstacle. Bond's credit card lock pick in TWINE is a great example of having not been introduced to it as a specialty item for the respective mission, but standard equipment issued to 00 agents. 

And ideally, gadgets work best when it's a combination of using gadgets for their proper use and then Bond improvising another use of the gadget's feature - i.e. Bond using the phone's 20000v "security system" to destroy Carver's lock and then immobilise Kaufman.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam?   When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam? Empty

Back to top Go down

When could Bond have used gadgets from other films to help him out of a jam?
Page 1 of 1