More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
danslittlefinger
'R'
'R'
danslittlefinger

Location : Somewhere where I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered...

'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando Empty
PostSubject: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 4:25 am

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/3533540/Sean-Bean-Bonds-with-Ian-Fleming.html

AGE Of Heroes tells the real life adventure behind the James Bond stories.
And we have the first trailer for the action-packed war movie, starring SEAN BEAN.
In 1944, Bond creator IAN FLEMING was behind the formation of an elite band of soldiers known as 30 Commando.
Their task was to storm enemy headquarters and bring back information that would help the Allied forces win World War II.
Fleming's crack team provided valuable information for Naval Intelligence and were the precursor of the SAS.

JAMES D'ARCY is the future Bond author and DANNY DYER is a rogue soldier whose raw courage wins him a place in the elite force.
Sean, who starred as a double agent in GoldenEye, plays military leader Captain Jones, charged with leading the men through a bloody battle in the mountains of Norway in a bid to seize German radar equipment.

Age of Heroes will be in UK cinemas from May 20 and on DVD and Blu-ray on June 13.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 4:30 am

James D'arcy is a terrible choice.

I've go no idea why Geoffrey Rush has never been asked to play an older Fleming, in arguably the more overlooked second half of his life.
Back to top Go down
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 10:13 am

I've had an interest in seeing this since it was first rumoured to be released in January of this year. Not thrilled by the casting choices or by the clichéd phrases "honour", "duty" and "sacrifice" in that trailer. :scratch:
Will probably wait for the DVD of this one.
Back to top Go down
danslittlefinger
'R'
'R'
danslittlefinger

Location : Somewhere where I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered...

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyMon May 23, 2011 2:49 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1388792/James-Bonds-inspiration-brought-life-evocative-new-movie-Age-Of-Heroes.html

'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando Article-1388792-0C2770F500000578-864_634x327
On the set of Ages Of Heroes, the new film starring Sean Bean (standing on right) about Ian Fleming's 30AU unit. James D'Arcy (seated) plays the James Bond author

In 1942, a Whitehall official visited the notorious safebreaker and cat burglar John Ramsey in Peterhead prison.

The civil servant had an intriguing offer from a naval intelligence officer called Ian Fleming. If Ramsey was prepared to put his criminal expertise to use in the war effort, he could expect a pardon. Ramsey, who had learnt to use explosives in the mining industry, readily agreed.

He was soon training with 30 Assault Unit (30AU), a new covert force formed by Fleming to seize Nazi military technology and scientists.

Safe-breaking skills were essential to Fleming’s plans. The Germans kept blueprints for missiles and radar equipment in bank vaults. An expert was needed to blow the safes. Ramsey is said to have cracked 14 in one day while in action in Italy.

The blurring of crime and war may have gone further. Some 30AU members suggest that looted gold and diamonds found in the vaults they raided were seen as a perk of the job. After the unit was disbanded, several men, looking for work, may have utilised their skill set on the other side of the law. Ramsey himself reverted to his old trade and was soon back in jail.

'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando Article-1388792-0C27737900000578-505_306x423
30AU commandos in Germany, 1945. They were a covert force formed by Ian Fleming to seize Nazi military technology and scientists

Unsurprisingly, 30AU’s secrecy and unusual recruitment methods were met with suspicion. George Patton, the US general, dismissed them as ‘a bunch of Limey pirates’.

Even a member of 30AU described their exploits as ‘running around Europe doing what we want’. They were, he said, ‘ghosts on the battlefield’.

Fleming went on to use several colourful personalities from the unit as templates for the character of James Bond, but the existence of 30AU itself was kept secret even after the war, robbing it of a place in history.

Now, for the first time, a British thriller, Age Of Heroes, puts on record the unit’s achievements. Starring Sean Bean and Danny Dyer, the film depicts a daring raid on a Nazi radar installation in Norway. Fleming’s covert force was the only intelligence-gathering unit trained and armed well enough to fight its way to targets.

Chillingly, he signed an order saying: ‘The necessity for avoiding or eliminating witnesses to successful action… is emphasised’. The message was unambiguous: they had a licence to kill.

The unit’s motto was ‘attain by surprise’. Most operations were behind enemy lines, with groups dropped by parachute, landing from sea, or infiltrating on land ahead of Allied forces. Fleming, who was initially in charge of planning missions with Lt Cdr Jim Glanville, called the unit his ‘Red Indians’.

Suspicion of 30AU was compounded by its apparent independence from frontline command. Groups usually consisted of two jeeps, a naval officer, between five and eight Marines, and often a scientist to identify equipment and papers. The officer carried a ‘black list’ of targets. Orders allocating men to a specific target were only issued at the last minute.

One operation in Brittany ended in disaster. A 30AU truck carrying two captured German torpedoes exploded when bumping over a booby-trapped level crossing during a hasty exit. Two men on board were flung on to a minefield. A second truck and accompanying jeeps could not stop to recover the bodies from such a dangerous position.

In its first incarnation, 30AU saw action in North Africa, Italy, the Greek Islands, Corsica and Norway. An enlarged 30AU took part in the D-Day landings. Among their targets were V1 flying bomb launch facilities in France and the Netherlands, which they photographed and documented, before calling in Spitfires to obliterate the sites.

By the time of the Allied invasion of Germany, 30AU had 400 men. The biggest prize was in sight: the Nazis’ futuristic military technology, including long-range versions of the V2 missile, aimed at hitting New York. It wasn’t just the Allies who wanted the expertise of Nazi scientists; the advancing Soviet army was racing to secure it, too.

The unit captured a previously unknown facility north of Cologne, which was working on rockets, guided missiles, along with jet and rocket-propelled aircraft. The men of 30AU also captured top scientists, including Hellmuth Walter, designer of the Messerschmitt rocket plane prototype, and Herbert Wagner, who created the Henschel Hs293 guided glide bomb.

The final tally included 25 U-boats and two destroyers, captured at Bremen dockyards, and jet rockets and planes, torpedoes and mines. In May 1945, Fleming’s Red Indians took their biggest scalp: Admiral Karl Dönitz, who succeeded as Führer after Hitler killed himself. Contemporary accounts dispute 30AU’s part in his capture, but the unit’s history confirms it.

James Bond is reckoned to be a composite of half a dozen 30AU officers, including Lt Cdr Patrick Dalzel-Job, Lt Jim Besant and Lt Cdr Ralph Izzard, known as something of a ladies’ man. They certainly considered themselves to be above the constraints imposed on the average serviceman. Records say 30AU were given to ‘mischief’ and exhibited too much of a ‘party spirit’ when arriving in French towns at night.

Threatened with jail and possibly execution, 30AU’s men stayed silent about the unit’s exploits. The Navy posted spies around the quiet Sussex seaside town of Littlehampton, where 30AU were billeted during the war, to see no one talked. One member, overheard discussing an operation in a pub one night, had disappeared by the next day.

Some 30AU veterans were bitter about the way they were treated after the unit was disbanded in 1946. Ron Guy, a 30AU sniper, only talked about his adventures shortly before his death aged 80 in 2006. His grandson, Guy Allan Farrin, then researched the unit, creating a website, which was used as reference on Age Of Heroes.

Farrin remembers his grandad as ‘a bit of a scallywag’ with a short fuse.

‘I remember him showing me how to zero in my air rifle sights when I was a boy,’ says Farrin.

‘I thought he seemed very knowledgeable about it. Even then I knew there must be more to his war career than he was letting on.’

After his grandfather’s death, Farrin found notes written by him describing his time in 30AU.

In one, he wrote: ‘We felt invincible at times. We were trained by experts from all over the globe to become ghosts on the battlefield, behind enemy lines. Some thought we were just a bunch of murdering cutthroats but that was never the case.’ He said he was thankful he’d never had to use his doubled-edged Fairbairn-Sykes knife to kill anyone.

‘I saw my grandfather in a different light after I found all this out,’ says Farrin.

‘He was a difficult man, but now I understood why. What he did was beyond my comprehension. These men lived with what they went through completely internally, never having any outlet to express their turmoil. Secrecy had been drilled into them so thoroughly many took it all to the grave.’

Sean Bean agrees that the tale of 30AU needs to be told.

‘This is a little bit special because it affected so many millions of people all over the world. For some reason we seem to be a little bit ashamed of bringing these things up today. But it’s time people heard this story.’
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyMon May 23, 2011 3:24 am

So far I think the best Fleming actor has been Charles Dance.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyMon May 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Sharky will disagree with that. laugh
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyMon May 23, 2011 12:44 pm

Wonder is Dyer's character a Cockney hardman 'geezah', by any chance? :roll:
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:57 pm

G section wrote:

Doubled-edged knife is correct. In my standings, Charles Dance is both the best and the worst Fleming actor. Aside from BBC and Channel 4 docu-reenactments, he's the only one I've seen. That said, it was more of a Bond performance in the vein of Moore in TMWTGG (I sense Dance used it as an de facto audition vehicle at the time of LTK, knowing the public reaction Dalton's Bond), than anything to do with Fleming the man.

Not listening to or watching any real interviews with Fleming, one would get a lot of misconceptions about him.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyTue May 24, 2011 8:32 pm

Sharky wrote:
G section wrote:
That said, it was more of a Bond performance in the vein of Moore in TMWTGG

Really? I don't feel that at all. I mean, nothing much can be worse than Jason Connery in "Spymaker", god that was a terrible film.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 2:05 pm

Can't say I'm surprised, but the initial reviews aren't great :

Quote :

Sean Bean and Danny Dyer are outlaws of a different kind in this corny World War II actioner about ‘30 Commando’, an “elite smash and grab unit” set up by Ian Fleming (who he?) for search-and-destroy missions behind enemy lines.

Whether the real regiment would have recruited an insubordinate lout like Dyer’s Corporal Rains is up for debate. But Bean does, springing him from military lock-up for a Norwegian raid which has director Adrian Vitoria ransacking Where Eagles Dare and The Guns Of Navarone for every gung-ho, Boy’s Own cliché available.

Two sequels are planned, God help us.

Read more: Age Of Heroes review | TotalFilm.com

Quote :
"The true story of the formation of 30 Commando Unit during WWII, the predecessor to the Elite Special Forces, but all the gravitas of the story, which is wasted here, all but disappears the moment Danny Dyer opens his mouth." - Virgin Media

There's your answer, Blunt Instrument. laugh

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 2:34 pm

Hehehe ... cheers, G section. :)

I'm not surprised - the useless tool is to acting range what Piers Morgan is to affable, self-effacing likeability.
Back to top Go down
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 4:56 pm

Have you ever watched Danny Dyer's Deadliest Men? He's not such a cockney hardman when he faces up to some of the, shall we say, gentlemen on that show. And I don't blame him. :affraid:
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 6:11 pm

I prefer to avoid his, erm, 'output'. laugh
Back to top Go down
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 6:17 pm

Oh, I agree. Deadliest Men is a documentary series in which he interviews and "lives" with a range of hard nuts, from former bodyguards to convicted terrorists, whilst delivering lines such as "this time I fink I've gone too faaar" and "the anxiety is coming out of my ear'oles", set to a weird remix of Roy Budd's Get Carter theme. It makes for unintentionally hilarious telly.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 7:50 pm

I might've watched it if each episode had ended with that week's 'subject' leathering the living shit out of him.
Back to top Go down
danslittlefinger
'R'
'R'
danslittlefinger

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:46 pm

Film clip
http://www.filmshaft.com/exclusive-clip-from-sean-bean-actioner-age-of-heroes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando   'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando Empty

Back to top Go down

'Age of Heroes' - Sean Bean in film based on Fleming's 30 Commando
Page 1 of 1